PDA

View Full Version : Broken Collection Cup

TheReefGeek
03-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I have a broken collection cup for my skimmer, there is a hole about 1/2" by 1/2".

Any ideas how to patch it? I was wondering if I duct taped the outside, if there is anything I could pour into it that would fill the hole then harden? Then when I took the duct tape off, it would be water proof.

The missing chunk of plastic is right on the curved bottom of the cup, so I can't just silicon or weld-on an acylic patch unfortunately.

mr_alberta
03-03-2006, 01:39 AM
You should be able to easily form a small strip of 1/8" acrylic and weld-on that to the cup. Or duct tape works :mrgreen:

TheReefGeek
03-03-2006, 01:47 AM
If I had a heat gun and made a 1"x1" piece of acrylic, heat it up so it bent around the curve, then used weld-on, that might just work.

Will have to find out how much a heat gun costs then, unless there is some other method to heat up acrylic? Can you boil it or something like that? All I have handy is 1/4" inch acrylic too.

mr_alberta
03-03-2006, 01:55 AM
You can pick up 1/8" thick acrylic at home depot. A small 8.5x11 sheet is about $5 IIRC.

You can heat acrylic with a lighter if you really want.

TheReefGeek
03-03-2006, 02:03 AM
I will give that a try, thanks.

Murminator
03-03-2006, 02:34 AM
Put it in an electric frying pan on top of a peice of papertowel but make sure you watch it that the papertowel doesn't catch fire :redface: It will turn acrylic to almost rubber then use the colection cup as a jig and bend it around it and let it cool. :mrgreen:

TheReefGeek
03-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Once the acrylic is "rubberized", and I bend it to shape, I still need to use weld-on to get it to stay I assume?

Delphinus
03-03-2006, 03:26 AM
Yep..

Alternatively .. if it was me (and depending on the size/shape of the damage) I'd just use some weldon 16. You can make an acrylic "putty" using weldon and some acrylic shavings. Some of that aluminium tape (for roof flashing etc.) as a backing.

TheReefGeek
03-03-2006, 04:12 AM
That is a good idea too, but the hole might be a bit to large for that.

Saltysteve
03-03-2006, 06:08 PM
What skimmer and model ?

TheReefGeek
03-03-2006, 06:16 PM
ASM G6, the collection cup is as big as my head. :)

kari
03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
If you somehow end up down here in Calgary drop by and we'll fix it up or make a new part.

StirCrazy
03-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Put it in an electric frying pan on top of a peice of papertowel but make sure you watch it that the papertowel doesn't catch fire It will turn acrylic to almost rubber then use the colection cup as a jig and bend it around it and let it cool.

:eek: Has you wife beat you for that one yet :mrgreen: One thing to watch about heating Acrylic is not to heat it to fast or to to high of a temp, both of these will cause it to form bubbles. I wrecked lots of skylights that way when I worked for Mac's plastics in Edmonton years ago:redface:

I think the absolut best way to heat it would be in an oven set at about 280 degrees on a nice flat cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper.. if some one trys this let me know how much it stinks up the house.. I'm scared of my wife:biggrin:

Steve

TheReefGeek
03-04-2006, 05:31 AM
Kari, are you a store or something? I will be in Calgary Next Friday-Sunday.

I am hoping to have it fixed by then, but might not. I picked up some weld-on 3, weld-on 16, and a small sheet of 1/8" acrylic to try a patch-job.