PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel hose clamps?

seashells
03-02-2006, 11:52 PM
The plastic hose clamp failed on the pump in the preskimmer last night (about 1am I do believe). Shot water up & out. After Not getting electrocuted (thank goodness) & cleaning up the water (hardwood floor) we put a stainless steel hose clamp on. Anyone have any thoughts? Is this ok? Will it do till we can get better plastic clamps? Will it cause any problems?

untamed
03-03-2006, 02:33 AM
I would think it will last for a very, very long time. Especially so if you don't allow it to come in contact with SW. I use a number of them and they are two years old and don't show any sign of wearing out.

Willow
03-03-2006, 02:48 AM
i have used ss clamps for years with no problems. i have changed a few out that are right over the sump as they tend to seize up after awhile but no biggy.

seashells
03-03-2006, 03:58 AM
It is touching sw. Thats why I wondered. Hope its OK till I can find plastic clips!

Mike Olson
03-03-2006, 04:05 AM
you can get the plastic clamps at OA...I think JL has them too. Most SS clamps are not 100% stainess...the gear is not.

PrairieReefer
03-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Like Mike said, most SS hose clamps are not 100%. I special ordered some that were 100% SS and used them in my sump for a while. After about 6-8 months they started to rust so I assume they were not the right grade of stainless. Didn't cause any problems that I could see though, and I removed them and used Zip Ties with a zip tie tightener which worked great. A few days until you can get replacements will be fine.

StirCrazy
03-04-2006, 12:22 AM
the tipical SS hose clamp is good for fresh water but will still rust in salt water as they have to use a different ss aloy to keep it maluable so it doesn't get brittle and brake from bending around stuff. I would stick with plastic if you can.

now if this clamp is outside the tank and not submerged then goahead and get a SS hose clamp from canadian tire.

Steve

EmilyB
03-04-2006, 07:49 AM
zap straps :mrgreen:

ron101
03-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Steve is right. Pretty much any SS item will rust with direct exposure to salt water - taking oxygen out of the water in the process. IMO it should only be used for a quick fix.