PDA

View Full Version : Should I frag it?

OCDP
03-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I bought a nice frag of this sweet red montipora digitata.... and a couple nights ago it somehow fell onto my red millepora colony, and the end is white (dying.. not completely white though)... and I don't want it to spread becuase it's such nice stuff. Should I frag it? Or should I give it another day or two? It seems like it may be spreading, but I can't be certain as I haven't been paying close attention.

What would you do?

bluetang
03-02-2006, 02:51 PM
I'd trim the end off of it. It will re-generate in no time.

OCDP
03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Cool. I just didn't want to further stress it or anything... I've never had such a cool piece of digitata (it's cool to me anyways) So I don't want to lose it. I'll chop the end off tonight...

Thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-02-2006, 04:58 PM
I've found digitata to be very resilient for an sps. As long as the tip is not invaded by hair algae, the polyps should reencrust the ends. Mine have been knocked over more times than I'm embarrassed to count, but bounce back. I wouldn't worry too much about it & if you do cut off the tip, maybe cut off a little more & glue it down. You might end up with a second frag.

Anthony

GMGQ
03-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Hey I actually have an acro where the tip has hair algae coming out of it.

I tried trimming off a small piece of it with the fragging pliers, but it appears to be growing hair algae again. Should I cut a longer piece off?

I've found digitata to be very resilient for an sps. As long as the tip is not invaded by hair algae, the polyps should reencrust the ends. Mine have been knocked over more times than I'm embarrassed to count, but bounce back. I wouldn't worry too much about it & if you do cut off the tip, maybe cut off a little more & glue it down. You might end up with a second frag.

Anthony

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Yeah. Hair algae will take over a coral if you let it. Cut it back & see if that will keep it from spreading (ie. lose the battle but win the war). Also, check your water quality to see if you have phosphates & nitrates building up to feed the hair algae.

OCDP
03-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks Anthony.

I was aware that digitata is a very easy to keep SPS. It's just that the colour of this is somewhat unique and I don't want to lose the piece!

I'll see how things look today, if need be I will frag it and see what happens!

Thanks again.

GMGQ
03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Hmm, yeah when I cut it, I cut about 5mm off the end. I'll try cutting it some more, maybe 1cm? Thanks.

Yeah. Hair algae will take over a coral if you let it. Cut it back & see if that will keep it from spreading (ie. lose the battle but win the war). Also, check your water quality to see if you have phosphates & nitrates building up to feed the hair algae.

OCDP
03-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, after I got home I took a look at the digitata. I am pretty sure I already see a very dull brown colour reforming in the bleaching area.

Thanks all