PDA

View Full Version : New Bulb Flickering

Jaws
03-02-2006, 03:58 AM
I put in a brand new bulb a couple days ago and I've notice that it's kind of flickering in and out. Not so much in and out of power or light but with different colors of the spectrum and intensity. Is this the way a new bulb breaks in or is it something else?

TheReefGeek
03-02-2006, 04:27 AM
I have not experienced this with new bulbs.

What is the exact bulb you are running, and the ballast it is hooked up to?

Jaws
03-02-2006, 04:30 AM
It's a 250W Geismann DE MH bulb and it's being run by a CoralVue 250W Electronic HQI Ballast.

TheReefGeek
03-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Darn, those should be compatible, I was hoping that was the problem. :)

I have not used DE bulbs, so others will have to chime in as to their experiences during the burn-in period for these bulbs.

Psyire
03-02-2006, 06:22 AM
It is not uncommon for new Halides to flicker. If it continues beyond the 100 hour break in period I would return it. (doubt it will though)

Jaws
03-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Can it affect the corals in any way?

StirCrazy
03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Can it affect the corals in any way?

Sure, weather it is good or bad who knows..I would guess you are getting a UV spike every time it flickers but that is just a guess.
personaly I would call the company and tell them what is going on and ask for a replacment buld.. they shouldn't be flickering.

Steve

OCDP
03-02-2006, 02:21 PM
I agree with Steve, I'd call them up... let them know what's going on, and see what they have to say.

TheReefGeek
03-02-2006, 02:24 PM
They will probably blame the ballast because they can, but hopefully not. If you know any other reefers with a 250w HQI ballast, maybe test it on their setup and see if it still happens.

Psyire
03-02-2006, 06:49 PM
I bet they will say it's common for them to flicker during break-in...

bnhreef
03-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey Jason,

I had this exact problem!!!!!

Last spring I bought an Icecap 250 MH ballast to run with a PFO pendant and a Hamilton 250 13K DE bulb.

The flicker started and sometimes the bulb would go out and sometimes it didn't even come back on.

J&L sent me a Geisman 250W Geismann DE MH bulb 14K.

I noticed that when seating the bulb into the sockets, quite a bit of pressure was needed. I also noticed that the end electrodes started to bend upwards. I got out a screw driver and pryed open the sockets enough to seat the bulb. I never had this problem before with some 150W DE sockets.

I then looked at the Hamilton bulb and sure enough, the little wire that is pinched in the electrode, that goes in to the glass part of the bulb, had some evidence of arcing.

I sent back the Hamilton bulb and haven't heard anything since.

This may not be your case, but this is what I experienced and it may help you.

Brad

Jaws
03-03-2006, 05:18 AM
Thanks guys. I'll check the bulb out. I'm going to try switching the bulb to a different ballast too and see if that fixes anything.

crusty1
03-03-2006, 05:46 AM
It sounds like I am going through the same thing on my old DE hood. I sent Arcadia an email about the sockets corroding and not closing back up around the DE bulb. They told me they have changed the design since and have sent me new sockets. (I just have to say that they have been a fantastic company to deal with). Anyways, when I receive the new sockets, and if there is a noticeable difference, I'll post pics of the two.
Chris

kit
03-03-2006, 05:50 AM
My buddy is an electrician, he tells me it's a dying/defective bulb. Also notes that you really shouldn't continue to use it as prolong flickering may cause the ballast to damage.