PDA

View Full Version : Wide tank lighting

Pan
03-02-2006, 03:53 AM
Hey guys, great forums. Now that i'm going to be upgrading from my little 20 gallon...maybe i will keep it as a seahorse tank...or use it for sump..dunno...

I need some advice on lighting, the tanks specs are as follows
Tank Height = 13"
Tank Width = 24"
Tank Length = 48 "
Approximate Gallons = 65
i was wondering should i take any special care in lighting the tank? it will be a reef tank (most likey) though i would have liked a volitan...but anyways. Will the standard coralife or any complete hood work for this? or should i get the naging pendant (square ones) and supplement with actinic 48" hood...since i can't really use the 24" coralife i have....or do i need metal halide with this shallow a tank...(the shallowness was to get around halides, but i kinda of like the shimmering..) anyways, still in the early stages so any input is welcome.]

oh. and it will/is made out of acrylic...don't know if halides are hot enough to effect acrylic...hmm

TheReefGeek
03-02-2006, 04:36 AM
It all depends on what you want to keep in the tank. If you want clams, SPS, and anemones, you should go MH regardless of tank height IMO.

If you want softies and LPS, with 13", you could go with VHO, PC, or T5, as you go up that list you need less watts because the intensit (PAR per watt lets say) increases.

Then you need to decide if you want an enclosed canopy/lights, or a hanging fixture or pendants.

I would go MH, because they are the best, and the long term cost is "cheap" because you don't have to replace as many bulbs. I would use 2 MH's of 175w for a 4ft tank that is 13" deep. Try going with a higher temperature bulb like a 13, 15, or 20K with more blue in them, see if you like them, then decide whether you like the color or not, you can always add NO fluorescent actinics cheap later for color correction. I like the look of 10K with actinics, but am running just 20K right now, they are pretty close for color, depending on the bulb manufacturer of course.

I would go hanging or pendant style so you dont have to worry about heat issues as much. A DIY handing hood is a pretty easy/fun DIY project, a good way to learn if you are interested in that. Then buy some spider or PFO reflectors, ballasts and some bulbs (XMs are cheap and good IMO) and you are set. Or if DIY is not your cup of tea, get a couple Hamilton or PFO pendants, hang em from the ceiling and your done.