PDA

View Full Version : too much kalk

atcguy
03-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Quick question.

I am running my Ro unit to a rubbermaid resorvoir with float valve. From the res. to my kalk mixer below and then to my sump where there is another float valve. How often are people cleaning these valves that get covered in dried kalk mix, as I have only had mine running for about 3-4 weeks and tonight I noticed my tank was cloudy. went into the garage to see that there was an inch of kalk floating in the sump. The kent valve must have stayed open briefly. Its now soaking in vinigar and I am just wondering how to prevent this again. I understand that too much Kalk isnt the worst thing that can happen, you would just get a "snow storm" til it clears?? Sucks if it has to be taken apart and saoked in vinigar every 2 weeks to be safe. Any imput. Thanks

Quagmire
03-02-2006, 03:44 AM
Better check your PH.

atcguy
03-02-2006, 04:01 AM
8.5 now so hope it wont go up any further, Lucky! I guess
float valve soaking now. I guess I will have to clean every couple weeks. ??????????

mr_alberta
03-02-2006, 04:03 AM
Usually that's the case unfortunately. What I've seen is some people drilling out the hole on the float valve to make it slightly larger to prevent the frequent plugging. However, you run the risk of the valve not sealing anymore....

TheReefGeek
03-02-2006, 04:26 AM
A bit off topic, but with your float valve on your reservoir, do you have a hydraulic switch plumbed into your RODI to cut off the waste water production when the pressure in the feed line increases due to the float valve closing? Otherwise you will be producing waste water continually.

I have found these hydraulic switches to be sketchy too, they don't always work if you dont have a pressure bladder, depending on the distance between the feed line from the RODI and the float valve, the closer they are the better.

I have found float switches controlling a sprinkler solenoid (available at the hardware store) right at the tap feeding the RODI unit to be more dependable. This way the float switch cuts off all water getting to the RODI at all, and you dont rely on the hydraulic switch to cut off waste water production.