PDA

View Full Version : I'm pumped!!

Psyire
03-01-2006, 10:57 PM
I caught my Dragon Goby this afternoon!

I'm super happy!

For those of you with large reef tanks, you know how hard it is to catch something in them. (near impossible)

Woohoo!

Kryten
03-01-2006, 11:01 PM
How'd you do it, just with a net, or did you trap him?

Psyire
03-01-2006, 11:04 PM
2 nets and a clothes hanger!

He ended up darting around a blind corner into a net I had setup to catch him.

I tried trapping him but he wasn't interested. He was very hard to catch because he would go under rocks when the net entered the water. (this is when I used the clothes hanger to scare him out)

BMW Rider
03-01-2006, 11:05 PM
I caught my Dragon Goby this afternoon!

I'm super happy!

For those of you with large reef tanks, you know how hard it is to catch something in them. (near impossible)

Woohoo!

Good job. Did you have to redo much aquascaping after the chase?

I've though about selling/trading my foxface so I could gett a few smaller fish without overdoing the bioload, but the though of trying to catch it is preventing that.

Psyire
03-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I didn't move a single rock!

To catch a foxface I would create a very large acrylic box with hingeable doors on either side. The trick is to make the box really big so they don't know they are going 'into' something. Bait it with nori and you'll have him in no time. There is a thread somewhere on RC showing an excellent example of this, and he caught his foxface quickly.

TheReefGeek
03-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Congratz!

I thought this post was going to be about a new pump you got. :)

BMW Rider
03-02-2006, 02:36 AM
I didn't move a single rock!

To catch a foxface I would create a very large acrylic box with hingeable doors on either side. The trick is to make the box really big so they don't know they are going 'into' something. Bait it with nori and you'll have him in no time. There is a thread somewhere on RC showing an excellent example of this, and he caught his foxface quickly.

Thanks for the tip. If I get the ambition up to try to catch it I will give the trap idea a try. Its a really nice fish, but It is getting a bit large for my tank. My volume at 130 gaqllons is fine, but I think it should have a tank longer than 4' for better swimming space.