PDA

View Full Version : Modular homes, {mobile homes}

Doug
03-01-2006, 04:26 PM
So anyone here lived in one and have an aquarium. :biggrin: I guess thats where I,m going to end up. Looking at 1200 sq. ft. Bowes and the same in Moduline. Looked at the 1520sq. ft. but kind of large for us and defeats the purpose of selling our house & moving to the city. :wink:

May keep my 90 cube but perhaps smaller. Guess I will need to add some additional cribbing. Good time to do it while they set it up. My wife said I can have the third bedroom for my computer and my 20g in the corner. :lol:

Beermaster
03-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Doug, i have no issues in mine, and i have had at one time 12 tanks set up

saltynuts
03-01-2006, 04:32 PM
when i lived in mine. I had a 108 gal tank and a 58 gal tank in the front room.
no problems with the floor at all! only problem was the wife! lol

Doug
03-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for the quick reply,s. I did show her the nice corner in the living room where I could put one. :smile: Never got much of a reply. :lol:

I like the idea of a separate room for it. Can have a tv in there, my large leather recliner, computer and so on. Good hidey place. :lol:

So you guys never used any additional supports? They have 10in. joists on 16in. centers on the steel beams, so I assume thats lots.

muck
03-01-2006, 05:05 PM
...moving to Sunnyvale!! :mrgreen:

Doug
03-01-2006, 05:11 PM
...moving to Sunnyvale!! :mrgreen:

Where dat? :biggrin:

I would move out that way, but I think my daughter & her husband and their two daughters may be a bit upset. And my wife & I also. :mrgreen: One of the reasons for moving or should I say 4 reasons.

muck
03-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Where dat? :biggrin:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/comedy_games/trailer_park_boys/trailer_park_boys_about_the_show.jsp

Skimmerking
03-01-2006, 05:45 PM
And the main reason is to hang out with me Right Doug since I'm your 3rd son. ..

Doug
03-01-2006, 07:19 PM
http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/comedy_games/trailer_park_boys/trailer_park_boys_about_the_show.jsp

Ok, gotcha now. He,he. :lol: I,m goingto get some big glasses and do a pic for my new avatar. :lol:

I only wish it was low rent. :cry: The highest in the city where I want to plunk it. Looking at buying land also but much larger investment than we wish to partake in.

muck
03-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Can I change your username to Douggles. :lol:

Doug
03-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Can I change your username to Douggles. :lol:

Not yet. :smile:

Veng68
03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
you should get a "triple wide" :)

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Doug
03-01-2006, 11:41 PM
you should get a "triple wide" :)

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

The 1500 ft. double wides are pretty nice. Thought that was to much space for us. Imagine a triple wide. :surprise:

crusty1
03-02-2006, 12:05 AM
My 90 gallon I did no bracing, and everything was fine. On the 180g I was a little afraid so I put in a little bit of bracing in the basement.
The way I look at it, the modular homes have to be strong enough to be shipped on a truck without falling apart. So the joist strength has to be pretty good.

G1GY
03-02-2006, 02:27 AM
It's a trailer. :)

Trailers can hold tons and tons of weight.

Skimmerking
03-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Doug the homes are made with I beams made out of steel..

i dont think you will have a problem..

muck
03-02-2006, 03:24 AM
...so I put in a little bit of bracing in the basement.
I thought modular homes didn't have basements.. :confused:

Skimmerking
03-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Unless you get the Rtm homes and hav them put in a basement.

But ya Moblie's doesnt have basements Muck

Doug
03-11-2006, 01:50 PM
:smile:

Whew, glad thats over with. What a headache. So we did purchase a mobile home style, 16' by 76', about 1216 sq. ft. Plenty big for us. Top of the line unit.

The big thing we did do, is purchase it and the land, in a modular/mobile home park. Just like a normal subdivsion but with modular/mobile homes. Pretty new area also. Cost us mucho $$$$$$$$$$$ more but I would think worth it in the long run. Beats paying the land rent to someone else. :smile: We hope.

NOW, to figure out both where & what size new aquarium to put in there. Need to pay attention to humidity or I will be posting in the other thread also. :lol: Its sealed well of course but has no HRV system. I cant remember not having one for the last 20 years. It does however have an excellent exaust system, including humidistats & fans in both bathrooms. It also has a central exaust port in the main hallway, from the kitchen to the laundry room.

Its controlled with a dehumidistat also, that engages the electric furnace fan, giving the house some type of central exaust, circulation and I assume incoming air from the furnace fresh air intake.

Should be fine I think. I wonder if I use one of the extra bedrooms as my aquarium/computer room, thats its a smaller space? I dont wish to ent through the homes side wall anyway, {or the better half dont wish such, :lol: }, so I would have to rely on house circulation and/or my de-humidifier, which is one thing I wished not to run, as they are power suckers.

Aww, all the fun of it.

Doug
04-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Well, moved in or at least something close to that.:biggrin: Still cleaning and the such at our house, until next week.

Modular, {mobile}, is very nice. Still not sure where to put the aquarium though and my rock & fishies sit in tubs out at a friends house.

Just nice to be moved & back online. I have high speed cable now versus my wireless high speed. Seems pretty good and with the provided webspace, can have a reef website again. Been sometime since I last had one on Homestead.

Skimmerking
04-17-2006, 02:24 AM
Put the tank in the closet DOug