PDA

View Full Version : Ozone Poisining ?

Maverick
03-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Is there such thing as ozone poisining ? Since I have installed my ozonator and ORP meter I have had a few unexplained deaths in my tank . I have it set at 300 .The lastest was a bi-color dottyback this morning. He was fine last night and I turned the ozonator on last night as well. I only have two other fish in the tank and they are fine as well as the shrimp . snails and coral . It happened two other times as well. 3 chromis fell victim one time and a Flame Angel the next. I'm at a loss of words .

Any ideas ?

Brent

mr_alberta
03-01-2006, 01:57 PM
How are you dosing your ozone? What size of tank and how many MG/hr are you dosing?

What did the dead fish look like? Any reddness around the gills?

Maverick
03-01-2006, 02:05 PM
How are you dosing your ozone? What size of tank and how many MG/hr are you dosing?

What did the dead fish look like? Any reddness around the gills?

Injected into my skimmer . 75 g tank & 20 g sump . . I have the ORP set at 300 . Fish looked fine . Was barely kicking this morning . Laying on its side and trying to swim . It eventaully expired. Sad to see . No redness really visable . Colors still bright, not faded .

Brent

mr_alberta
03-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Do you have the skimmer output going through some carbon to remove the excess O3?

Do anything esle to the tank recently?

Maverick
03-01-2006, 02:43 PM
I have the return from the tank going through carbon. Added some additives for the corals, but i always do that. I tend to froget to turn the ozone on.

mr_alberta
03-01-2006, 02:51 PM
I have the return from the tank going through carbon. Added some additives for the corals, but i always do that. I tend to froget to turn the ozone on.

Sorry, does this mean you have no carbon after your skimmer to absorb the O3? Just want to clarify.

Hmm, I'm not too sure what could be the case here. It doesn't sound like its the ozone though as everything else would be affected as well. To be safe, do the standard water change, run some fresh carbon and leave the ozonizer off for now.

Maverick
03-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Already turned off the ozone. I'll do a water change after work . Thanks for the insight, but damn, this is baffling.

Brent

fkshiu
03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Never mind killing your fish, be careful with ozone around humans as well:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=789282

Psyire
03-01-2006, 09:05 PM
What mg/hr are you running? What kind of ozonizer?

Beverly
03-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Read the RC links. Interesting, but may be dangerous for those competing for the Darwin Awards :razz:

This is a real question, though ....

Why does a reef need ozone?

muck
03-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Don't do it Bev.. You don't need another thing to poison yourself with. :razz: :razz:

dirtyreefer
03-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Read the RC links. Interesting, but may be dangerous for those competing for the Darwin Awards :razz:

This is a real question, though ....

Why does a reef need ozone?

Ozone is a very controversial topic with reefers where the additional and unstable O molecule (O2 + an additional O = O3) will bind to other organics thus making skimming more efficient.

I've tried ozone and I skimmed out some nasty stuff with it and it improves water clarity, however I also forgot to turn it off one night and killed all my fish. Too high of an ORP (oxygen redox potential?) will burn the gills of your fish and will kill them if left too long.

Beverly
03-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey, don't worry, Ryan :lol: I'm a no gadgets person, and am not really trying at all for the Darwins, though I have poisoned myself while fragging monti caps, been parasitized by a carion eating isopod, and stung by my GBTA while moving it :razz: But none of those events were related to reef gadgets, thank goodness! And I'm not down for the count yet :wink:

Just wondering why people use ozone in their reefs, is all.

Beverly
03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
dirtyreefer,

Sorry to hear about your fish :sad: I would have been totally devastated :cry:

mr_alberta
03-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Just wondering why people use ozone in their reefs, is all.

Hi Bev,

Ozone is used mainly for 2 things in aquaria depending on dosage

1) Control Orp
2) Water clarity

I use it for the latter. I run very low doses through my skimmer mainly to take out some of the yellowness of the water and help my skimmer skim out a little more gunk.

If you want to read up on what ORP is, here's another good article by Randy Holmes-Farley in Reefkeeping magazine:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

Beverly
03-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the link, Harvey :smile: