PDA

View Full Version : Big Als Closing Down

Bigals_brodie
03-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Big Als Calgary is having a closing down sale.

For the past two years we have been locked in a legal dispute involving our landlord over our lease, we lost the case. Two years of very high legal bills have forced the owners to shut the doors forever. Big Als would like to thank all of the customers that have supported us over the years. The close out sale is effective today Feb 28 2005.
Everything is being liquidated including store fixtures, and equipment.

If anyone has any questions feel free to drop by the store.

Thank You

Brodie

saltynuts
03-01-2006, 01:16 AM
that sucks!

OCDP
03-01-2006, 01:56 AM
That really sucks.. I am sorry to hear that.

Thanks for letting all of us know about the sale though

SJSobczyk
03-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Was just there.......sorry to hear about that kind of situation. 25% off EVERYTHING. Not too much SW livestock, couple anthias, etc. Good deal on tanks though!

Steve

digital-audiophile
03-01-2006, 03:05 AM
Good lord! This is horrible news!

G1GY
03-01-2006, 03:44 AM
:(

Sad to hear.

i have crabs
03-01-2006, 04:02 AM
who get the huge tank and the giant groupers??

i have plastic (-=

SerLunchbox
03-01-2006, 04:02 AM
No love lost here. I personally hated big al's and all thier practices in Calgary.

fishmanty
03-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Im gonna be stopping by there tmrw... That really sucks for the owners... but i've never been a huge fan, as I've never recieved very good advice there...

Murminator
03-01-2006, 04:19 AM
There is another opening in Calgary north...so probably just moving

http://www.bigalscanada.com/images/franchimages/territoriesweb.jpg

EmilyB
03-01-2006, 04:19 AM
I hope all the livestock find good homes. :cry:

G1GY
03-01-2006, 04:34 AM
There is another opening in Calgary north...so probably just moving

http://www.bigalscanada.com/images/franchimages/territoriesweb.jpg

That just say's that they're looking to get someone to spend money on a BA's franchise in north Calgary. (Not that one is opening soon.)

But I guess now that you pointed it out.............. There's sure to be a huge line of investors looking to open a BA's franchise close to Petland, Petcetera and Petsmart.

:lol:

Delphinus
03-01-2006, 05:09 AM
That's really quite horrible news! This isn't April 1 is it?! Man alive.

SJSobczyk
03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
When i talked to Brodie he mentioned that there was no other plans for a Big Al's in Calgary. Also he said everything wont go lower then 25% as it will be below cost (cough cough 40% markup). Instead they will ship everything off to another one of their stores.

Still a sad day for me as this was a close drive to grab some goods. Looks like Petcetera will be getting all my business now (pukes)

Steve

Seriak
03-01-2006, 01:39 PM
40% Bah Close to 100% on Hardware. But I will be sad as they had decent prices on livestock every now and then.

digital-audiophile
03-01-2006, 02:09 PM
I have always enjoyed going to Big Al's there are some really good people that work there that I will really miss seeing on the weekends :(

When they got in good coral and fish shipments there was some really nice stuff at good prices. If we want to talk about 40-100% markups I can think of only one (unnamed) store in this city that doesn't have that kind markup. I have found in this hobby you MUST shop around, you can go to 5 different stores looking for a heater say and you would get 5 different prices.. I have just learned which stores are better at what and shop accordingly. Big Al's is also some what close to my house so I never had to travel far to pick up a things I neeed in short order.

The nice thing about Big Al's is a great place for the casual fish keeper, way better than going to petland and not as intense as the specialized stores in the city. I think alot of people are going to miss out on that now and will end up going to the petlands and petsmarts to get their stuff.

I'm actually really sad about this and still find it a little hard to believe. I don't know why a big chain would pull out of the city due to a lease fight. There are lots of new developments coming up that could house a store like theirs, and in the end they are just throwing revenue out the door. .. But what do I know.. I'm just a simple Oilman :p

SJSobczyk
03-01-2006, 02:40 PM
It was a lease fight that was fought over the period of 2 years. The lease and court costs were so high it caused them to go Bankrupt.

I think Big Al's would actually be a safe investment. People know the business and the products, hmmmmm got myself thinking.......

Steve

Seriak
03-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey I am sure the franchisee is just decinding not to continue. I am sure some entrepreneur will come along and open the franchise again. i just hope its in the South. The North has enough SW fish stores. I would actually look into this myself if I had more capital. lol. Isnt that always the case.

Name Of Franchise

Big Al’s
441 Chrislea Road Woodbridge Ont. L4L 8N4
Tel: (905) 851-1858
NATURE OF BUSINESS
Retail Sale of Tropical and Marine Fish and Related Products
# OF OUTLETS - 20

INITIAL FRANCHISE FEE $50,000.00
MINIMUM INVESTMENT* $500,000.00

* OPTIONAL FINANCING AVAILABLE
MINIMUM CASH INVESTMENT $300,000.00
BALANCE ON AN APPROVED SBL (GOVERNMENT BANK LOAN)

Please Write to:
ALLAN SAUL
President
E-MAIL:asaul@bigalscanada.com

midgetwaiter
03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
If we want to talk about 40-100% markups I can think of only one (unnamed) store in this city that doesn't have that kind markup.

I'd actually guess that BA's has a minimum 100% markup, which is perfectly normal in the retail world. I can't imagine them only going 40%, you usually only see that kind of thing in very specific commodity type retail sectors.

Well, maybe the store only goes 40% but the rest is taken by the franchise company. It is normal for a franchisor to mandate that all or at least most products be purchased from them. I can't see how the store would be able to cover their cost base in that situation though.

You want to talk about markup look at the retail gasoline sector. 350% is average.

SJSobczyk
03-01-2006, 04:57 PM
You want to talk about markup look at the retail gasoline sector. 350% is average.

Sorry mods this is off topic, but his statement is VERY untrue. Please read the following:

"Gasoline retailers must keep their markup razor thin. Markups, which are less then 10%, cover: land, salary, buildings, fuel delivery, site maintenance, profit (about one cent a litre).

With such small markups, the main way to stay in business is to sell huge volumes. And the primary way to increase volumes is to reduce retail margains. Despite huge volumes, margains are so thin, that virtually all stations depend on non-fuel products such as snacks to increase revenues and margains."

[END]Steve's smart fact for the day

Steve

andestang
03-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Sorry mods this is off topic, but his statement is VERY untrue. Please read the following:
"Gasoline retailers must keep their markup razor thin. Markups, which are less then 10%, cover: land, salary, buildings, fuel delivery, site maintenance, profit (about one cent a litre).

This is more accurate - I've seen the paperwork for this.

midgetwaiter
03-01-2006, 05:17 PM

When you are buying wholesale from yourself (Esso, Shell, PCan) you can shift the money wherever you want. See also - Enron. The 1 cent / litre proffit number is PR.

Jim Barry
03-01-2006, 05:23 PM
One more comment before the mods shut this down......

Most gasoline retailers are independent dealers. The gasoline margins are made at the refinery and corporate level, not at the independently owned gas retailers. Margins at the retail level are very slim

Willow
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
jezz you guys nice way to crash a thread..

Delphinus
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
If I may comment -

Gas prices aside, this thread is about Big Al's closing. Personally I am extremely saddened at this development. With the vast majority of SW stores in the north it was a nice place for a southerner like me to be able to visit on a whim. Franchise rules and hardware prices notwithstanding, I got most of my supplies (cleaning things, fish food, etc.) from there and the loss to me personally is, well, large. I was always on friendly terms with most of their employees, as well as Rick and Tom the owners, and ALWAYS appreciated the friendly "hello" and chats we would have every time I would go in. I don't get that kind of treatment anywhere else. I also depended on Big Als to scope out livestock items that I would be looking for, and I appreciated the extra mile they would go to find me something. Like my gigantea carpets. Nate finally finds a place he can import them from, and now they go out of business. Again, I might add, no other vendor I have ever dealt with has been willing to the same extent to work with me to the extent that Nate would.

I guess nothing lasts forever, but still, this sucks. Now I worry about my friends who work there and what will become of them. This sucks, sucks, sucks.

BMW Rider
03-01-2006, 06:46 PM
I never frequented Big Al's, but mainly due to the fact that it is the furthest saltwater shop from my house. I found their livestock selection to be unpredictable and limited lately, but it was still good to have another option when looking for something. Given this situation I can now see perhaps why their stock was not as good lately. I have bouhgt a variety of items there over the years, in fact I was there last week and picked up a school of green chromis.

It is never a good thing when a store has to close. One less store means less competition for the rest, which could lead to higher prices. Hopefully that will not happen and the business shift brings higher volumes and thus lower prices. I do plan to stop round to see about the sale merchandise.

midgetwaiter
03-01-2006, 07:38 PM
It is never a good thing when a store has to close. One less store means less competition for the rest, which could lead to higher prices.

More stores is good for everybody, it gets more people into the hobby. I was never a big customer at BAs but I am sorry to see them go for such a unfortunate reason.

Skimmer Juice
03-01-2006, 08:07 PM
I did not mind big al's they had a good selection of crabs and shrimp.I did not like the fish there tanks were always overstocked.But I do like haveing veriaty of fish stores.Thanks for the mantis shrimp big al's.

adidas
03-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Big al's was the first store I went to when I got into this hobby, and the staff there was always great and always went out of their way to help.

Veng68
03-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Too bad........ I hope the owners come out of bankruptcy ok.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

woodcarver
03-01-2006, 09:28 PM
"Also he said everything wont go lower then 25% as it will be below cost (cough cough 40% markup)"
One has to remember that 40% mark up is almost the same as 25% discount!
$1.00+40% =$1.40p $1.40p -25% =$ 1.05p!!

SJSobczyk
03-01-2006, 09:55 PM
I hate to get off topic again but this needs correction as well. Markup cannot be figured out by simple multiplication.

MARKUP
$1.00/(1-40%) = $1.67

DISCOUNT
$1.67 x 0.75 (25% discount) = $1.25

Steve

"Also he said everything wont go lower then 25% as it will be below cost (cough cough 40% markup)"
One has to remember that 40% mark up is almost the same as 25% discount!
$1.00+40% =$1.40p $1.40p -25% =$ 1.05p!!

woodcarver
03-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Hope you guys soon get another store in the area .

Samw
03-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I hate to get off topic again but this needs correction as well. Markup cannot be figured out by simple multiplication.

MARKUP
$1.00/(1-40%) = $1.67

DISCOUNT
$1.67 x 0.75 (25% discount) = $1.25

Steve

I would think that markup means the amount marked up from cost. So a 40% markup from $1 is $1.40. Whereas 40% is the gross margin for an item that was marked up by 67% from $1 to $1.67 (.67/1.67).

See:

http://www.cbsc.org/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1081945276115&pagename=CBSC_FE%2Fdisplay&lang=en&c=GuideFactSheet (See bottom of page)

http://www.dinkytown.net/java/ProfitMargin.html

http://www.csgnetwork.com/marginmarkuptable.html

woodcarver
03-01-2006, 11:50 PM
What Sam says :) :)

Cost a dollar ,retail a dollar forty, knock of thirty five cents you've made five cents ??

digital-audiophile
03-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Went by tonight.. kinda to say goodbye to the store I guess. Picked up some food at 25% off :) Got me the copy of The Reef Aquarium #1 ... good deals on books - 50% off.

Willito
03-02-2006, 01:43 AM
I was told that if they were still open today, then they would stay open for 30 more days. Otherwise yesterday would have been the last day. Can anyone from Big Al's comment.

i have crabs
03-02-2006, 02:16 AM
50% off books? so now thier the same price as amazon.com ?

digital-audiophile
03-02-2006, 02:20 AM
50% off books? so now thier the same price as amazon.com ?

Ha! True.. but atleast this way I didn't have to pay shipping and wait for it :p

adidas
03-02-2006, 03:34 AM
i went there tonight as well, too late for tanks, only kits left. they are even selling the display cases. and damn someone bought the Seio that was there.:(

Nate
03-02-2006, 04:40 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to hit the thread and say hello. Wanted to mention to everyone that for the most part, the employees at Big Als are moving on to different things and it looks like everyone is going to be alright. Only time will tell I guess.

As for teh store being open for thirty days (will), not sure, its day to day, actually, the owners slept in the store last nite as the locks were changed abruptly at 12 am. Only reason we were open today is b/c of them.

As for me, I am really not sure, who knows where I will end up? Anyone looking for someone to work that is just finishing up an Small Business and Entrepreneurship degree? (shameless plug). Like I said earlier in the post, only time will tell.

Anyways, my heart goes out to the owners, their families and the employees of big als, and thanks to everyone for the kind comments over the years. Sad to see her go after working there for 8 years (since I was 14). MAn is my resume brief (haha)

Anyways, thanks.

(Big_Als)Nate

G1GY
03-02-2006, 04:52 AM
I'm amazed that this sale is happening at all.(Seeing that this not your ordinary close out, but rather the result of a judicial matter.)

By the sounds of it, things got very ugly.

I would have thought that a reciever would have been involved by this point.

Good thing that BA's didn't have the power and gas set up throught the landlord like some buisnesses in strip malls do.(Would have been one dark and cold sale.)

Hope all of you find decent employment right away. :)

thomas heeger
03-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Sad to hear Big Als Calgary is closing down.
As a matter of fact we (MarineFauna Inc., Philippines, www.marinefauna-cebu.com) have supplied them for more than 1 year. Two shipments (December 05 and January 06) to Big Als Calgary, Mr. Nate White, have not been paid yet despite several promises by Mr. White that funds have been wired already.
We are known for our quality because we have our fisher folk net catch the animals according to order only, operate a flow through system and use at no time chemicals. We paid all in advance including high compensation of the fish folk, freight as well as packing charges and Calgary Big Als refused to pay so far.
Please bear in mind when you purchase in the "special sale" that the animals have not been paid and Big Als Calgary is taking sole advantage of that.
Best regards,
Tom Heeger

Nate
03-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Hello tom,

Please understand that it is way above and beyond me. I am a mere pawn in the game and have no control over any situation here and now. Please let me aplologize, on behalf of myself for not digging into the situation further, earlier on in its development.

Marine Fauna is a great supplier of invert and fish for us, and I am saddened by the factthgat my relationship with Thomas Heeger has to end this way.

Nate

esquared
03-02-2006, 01:49 PM
As a matter of fact we (MarineFauna Inc., Philippines, www.marinefauna-cebu.com) have supplied them for more than 1 year. Two shipments (December 05 and January 06) to Big Als Calgary, Mr. Nate White, have not been paid yet despite several promises by Mr. White that funds have been wired already.
We are known for our quality because we have our fisher folk net catch the animals according to order only, operate a flow through system and use at no time chemicals. We paid all in advance including high compensation of the fish folk, freight as well as packing charges and Calgary Big Als refused to pay so far.
Please bear in mind when you purchase in the "special sale" that the animals have not been paid and Big Als Calgary is taking sole advantage of that.
Best regards,
Tom Heeger

It is too bad that bankruptcies end this way. I guess that is the risk of doing business. Hopefully, the franchise will cover these expenses, that is usually one of the benefits of having a franchise (buying power for the individual stores and security for the suppliers).

Anyhow, BAs was only a couple of minutes away and all though not my favorite store in town, they did have nice, friendly staff, whom were always quick to lend a hand. For that, thank you and best wishes for everyone in their future engagements.

Eric
ps. Nate are you graduating this spring or do you still have a Directed Field Studies to do?

digital-audiophile
03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Nate - I have sent you an email - (I don't have access to my shaw here at work so I'm not sure if you responded yet)

We need to hook up, I might have a few opportunities for you in the oilpatch if you are interested.

J Feez
03-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Does anyone know if Big Al's is open today/tonight? I was hoping to make it down there around 6:30 - 7. Thanks

golfbomber
03-02-2006, 10:45 PM
yes open today! was just there.

Snappy
03-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to hit the thread and say hello. Wanted to mention to everyone that for the most part, the employees at Big Als are moving on to different things and it looks like everyone is going to be alright. Only time will tell I guess.

As for teh store being open for thirty days (will), not sure, its day to day, actually, the owners slept in the store last nite as the locks were changed abruptly at 12 am. Only reason we were open today is b/c of them.

As for me, I am really not sure, who knows where I will end up? Anyone looking for someone to work that is just finishing up an Small Business and Entrepreneurship degree? (shameless plug). Like I said earlier in the post, only time will tell.

Anyways, my heart goes out to the owners, their families and the employees of big als, and thanks to everyone for the kind comments over the years. Sad to see her go after working there for 8 years (since I was 14). MAn is my resume brief (haha)

Anyways, thanks.

(Big_Als)Nate

Nate.........I sent you a PM.

Seriak
03-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Man they had some nice tank sets on for 50% off on Tuesday when I was there. When I went back they were only 25% off. :( Oh well

G1GY
03-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Best regards,
Tom Heeger

Sorry to hear that you got stiffed Tom. :(

I went to your website and looked around and was very impressed with how you people do buisness.

I hope that one of the smaller shops in Calgary starts dealing with you so I can buy some of your livestock. (Since I was never a BA's customer.)

EmilyB
03-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Yes, keep in mind trans-border bankruptcy isn't likely to compensate outside Canada.

danny zubot
03-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Well, I took advantage of the sale going on right now, to pick up some extra suppliments and a book. I've lived up the street for several years and will be sad to see BA's go. No more browsing when I'm bored, the next closest SW LFS to me is Gold's! If anyone is about to start up a SW LFS in Calgary please do it in the south.:biggrin:

Question: how do I go about redeaming(sp) my BA points?

digital-audiophile
03-03-2006, 02:52 PM
As far as I know you can still use your BA points online which is good.. I think I have a couple hundred dollars worth of free stuff :p I spent a lot of dough at BA's.

Edit - PS... My GF has wanted to open a fish store in the south for a while.. kinda like a golds idea.. but in willow park village otr something. It's something that is really lacking in the south end of town.

phreezee
03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Went there last night and scored huge on equipment to start my new tank. Stand, lights, pump, food, etc. Thanks to all the employees who were still very helpful, and good luck in the future.

prosnow
03-04-2006, 07:10 AM
I wonder how much they want for the big al's van

polosdog
03-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Well I have to say I am not sorry to see that place go...over priced and overstocked (livestock wise)......How many saltwater sharks and eels did they kill!!!!!!!. The only person that had any decent experience at all was Nate and I am sorry he will be losing a job. Well good ridance and so long.
P.s. Arron and Barry are dancing in there shoes to hear the brothers are going down.

G1GY
03-05-2006, 08:48 PM
I was going to go there and check out the deals, but when I read that MarineFauna Inc was getting stiffed for their last two shippments to them I decided I didn't need a deal that badly.

They should not have suppliers and others pay the legal bill for their lost battle.

I'm sure all the cash from this liquidation is never going to find it's way to the pockets that it rightfully belongs to.:(

impreza
03-06-2006, 03:49 AM
Is there anything left? tanks? etc

Richard_Dicosimo
03-06-2006, 06:11 AM
if your buying anything that you cant take with you at that time, make sure they put a note on it saying its yours, i had some complications due to me not doing that.

Richard

prosnow
03-06-2006, 02:16 PM
had the same problem? i really wanted that ro unit :( who ended up gettin it anyways?

adidas
03-06-2006, 06:55 PM
they still open today?

Finaddict
03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
no,they r closed for good.

blood_hound
03-06-2006, 08:38 PM
So is BA now closed or do they stil have their closing out sale?

fishmanty
03-06-2006, 11:04 PM
They are closed. They have trucks and trailers out side loading up whats left.

No more BA for calgary... is that a good or a bad thing?? I can't decide

SerLunchbox
03-06-2006, 11:06 PM
I am tremendously happpier now that it is official that they are gone!

digital-audiophile
03-07-2006, 12:17 AM
I don't understand why. _ i like having competition and options.

JOSH
03-07-2006, 04:11 AM
I was there today and they have two huge dumpsters parked out front and almost everything is cleaned out. I took a quick peak inside the dumpsters and there appeared to be alot of decent stuff inside. If I had a big truck it would be worth stopping by and digging through the trash. You never know what you might find?

If anyone does do it let me know what you find.

Josh

G1GY
03-07-2006, 04:27 AM
I have a truck! :)

Edit:

Wanna go dumpster diving? :lol:

prosnow
03-07-2006, 04:32 AM
I have a big truck 2, so umm ya meet you guys there @ 11? lmfao!

G1GY
03-07-2006, 04:40 AM
I have a big truck 2, so umm ya meet you guys there @ 11? lmfao!

On my way!! :lol:

fishmanty
03-07-2006, 06:00 AM
I was there at 11, where were you guys??!
j/k

Tho incredibly tempting....

prosnow
03-07-2006, 06:27 AM
...it was all trash! hahahahhahahah lmfao....the things i will do to save money..

Richard_Dicosimo
03-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Talked to Rick today everything made it to the vancouver big als and there where no casualties.

good job big als u found alot of live stock homes in a very short period of time.

Richard