PDA

View Full Version : Help! somethings wrong with my yellow TANG!!!!!

Gnu-reefer
02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
hey guys, brand new here but a friend from msn told me you guys would be able to help me out. somethings wrong with my yellow tang, his fins are all torn and tattered...:( any ideas

some tank info,
29 gallon cube, running for 2 months,
salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

any ideas?!?! hes looking worse and worse!!!!!!!!!! :(

Gnu-reefer
02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
sorry forgot to post a picture

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/gnu-reefer/Feb28th2006.jpg

mr_alberta
02-28-2006, 05:35 PM
It looks like he's getting the crap beat out of him. I assume the regal tang was in there first?

You're kind of in a pickle here. I would recommend you remove that tang and isolate it in its own tank, however, I don't know if the tang would survive the stress of moving and being caught. Hopefully someone else will chime in with something constructive.

st4tic
02-28-2006, 05:39 PM
are u kidding me? a 29g tank and a regal tang and yellow tang in there? no wonder hes torn hes obvisouly getting beat up since ur tank is TOO SMALL for both of those tangs. I wouldnt even put 1 yellow tang in a tank of your size! yellow tang needs a tank atleast 4' wide so they can swim and be happy.

Gnu-reefer
02-28-2006, 05:43 PM
no actually i put the yellow tang in first, everyone seems happy, but now all of sudden the yellow tang looks terrible,....

Murminator
02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
oh oh I can see this thread going bad in a hurry....

Gnu-reefer
02-28-2006, 05:46 PM
why? whats the problem??

SJSobczyk
02-28-2006, 05:47 PM
I agree with the others above me. He is getting picked on BAD! If you need to get him out of the tank temporarily i have a 75 gallon that could give him some time to heal.

In the long run he will need more then a 29 as will your other tang. They both required alot of room to move around. Sorry to say but your tank just isnt large enough.

Steve

Gnu-reefer
02-28-2006, 05:49 PM
but everyone looks so happy b4...i dont get it

Willow
02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
lol, thats a photoshop job.

targa81
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
While this is the pot calling the kettle black, even I wouldn't put two tangs in a tank that small.The regal must be beating him up bigtime. My tang amongst others will be going into a 150 ASAP. I got my hippo when he was a baby but despite my best intentions 5 years have elapsed and he has way outgrown my 50. I would be hesitant to put two tangs together even in a large tank given the chance they would fight.BTW, although the cause of your tangs tattered fins looks like trauma, overcrowding can also lead to disease eg. Ich which also causes this. Mike.

muck
why? whats the problem??
It might work for awhile when the Tangs are small but most Tangs will get big and territorial. I would guess that the regal is beating on the yellow as well since it feels the yellow tang is in its space all the time. Tangs also enjoy swimming. Which is why most people reccommend a tank at least 6 feet long. If it were me Id look into upgrading the tank size if you want to keep Tangs longterm, or at the very least removing one of the Tangs you have now.

Welcome to Canreef by the way!!! :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
In all liklihood, the regal tang is the one chewing up the YTs fins. Tangs tend to be territorial, which is why it is recommended that adding tangs together in a small tank is a recipe for disaster. YTs can easily reach over 5" in captivity and 8" in the wild. Blue tangs can reach 10" max. in the wild, so that is why many reefers will warn you (with good reason) not to have these tangs in such a small tank. I would get that YT into a separate quarantine tank ASAP & look at either upgrading to a much bigger tank or finding it another, more suitable home.

Not what you want to hear, but.....

Anthony

Joe Reefer
02-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Too many fish, too little of a tank. IMHO

Oh no I think I hear the tang popo coming.:mrgreen:

Gnu-reefer
02-28-2006, 07:00 PM
why would the fish store tell me that these fish would all be fine together, i take it they were just pulling my chain...or trying to make a quick buck... :(

prosnow
02-28-2006, 07:08 PM
oh my.....

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Same thing happened when I was starting out in fw. LFS sold me about 40-50 fish for a brand new 5g I was bringing home.

In my defence, I was 8 years old & the internet hadn't been invented yet.

Lessons learned: Do your own research & don't depend on just what is told to you by someone who may profit from their own advice. If you go into the LFS armed with some knowledge of the species you're looking at, then you can better judge what their advice is worth. I have found some to be very honest, even if it means a lost sale. Others not so much. But this applies to every industry.

Aquaholic
02-28-2006, 07:15 PM
The store always want to make money, what store, where they well educated, if so they obviously didnt care about the fish.

Invest in some good books, better then relying on a "what someone said"

mr_alberta
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
In my defence, I was 8 years old & the internet hadn't been invented yet.

Oh admit it Anthony, this was last week :razz: :mrgreen:

Willow
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
amazing drop shadow on that regal tang, oh wait fish don't really have drop shadows do they, only bad company logos .. comeone people are you really this gullible? don't answer that.

adidas
02-28-2006, 07:27 PM
amazing drop shadow on that regal tang, oh wait fish don't really have drop shadows do they, only bad company logos .. comeone people are you really this gullible? don't answer that.

LOL...........

digital-audiophile
02-28-2006, 07:39 PM
...and a bad photoshop job at that!

Aquaholic
02-28-2006, 08:17 PM
I want a Photoshop tank now.

All my dreams of a puffer in my reef can come true.

KrazyKuch
02-28-2006, 10:01 PM
I agree with everyone when they say that the regal tang is picking on your yellow.....I have a Regal and a Powder blue in a 77 and they have the ocasional fight....I guess it s a good thing I am upgrading to a 230Gal

KrazyKuch
02-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Also that alot of corals inverts and fish for a 2 month old tank!!!!

danny zubot
02-28-2006, 11:02 PM
:lol: Willow, its funny how people carried on with the conversation even after you first pointed the pic flaw out! I think I'll add a great white to my tank tonight.

Doug
02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Do you have any other tank pics?

The picture does look "fishy" to me also. :lol: But what do I know. If this is legit, I apologize and go along with others that mention perhaps the aquarium is to small for tangs, except very young ones and only for a limited time.

Something like a 20, with lots of rock and good but not overwhelming flow, is a decent first home for the loonie sized Regals that are farm raised. They can be trapped very easily in large reef aquariums with mega flow.

On the other hand, if this is a troll, I will evoke my evil "super moderator" powers. :twised:

Willow
02-28-2006, 11:33 PM
On the other hand, if this is a troll, I will evoke my evil "super moderator" powers. :twised:

i belive your answer lies within the iplookup feature.

midgetwaiter
02-28-2006, 11:46 PM
C'mon people, how can you accuse somebody of trying to foist some "photoshopped" file on us and start a flamewar? You have to be pretty sure of yourself before you say something like that.

Now I know, mostly because he's named himself Gnu-reefer, that he probably used the Gimp or maybe Infranview. At least you can be sure that if he did use Photoshop he didn't pay for it. :)

What's the matter buddy? You get banned from Slashdot so now you have to troll the low hanging fruit?

Doug
02-28-2006, 11:53 PM
C'mon people, how can you accuse somebody of trying to foist some "photoshopped" file on us and start a flamewar? You have to be pretty sure of yourself before you say something like that.

Now I know, mostly because he's named himself Gnu-reefer that he probably used the Gimp or maybe Infranview. At least you can be sure that if he did use Photoshop he didn't pay for it.

What's the matter buddy? You get banned from Slashdot so now you have to troll the low hanging fruit?

Not sure whom this is directed at but guess this thread has out lived its usefulness.

Gnu-reefer, please feel free to start another if this is legit.