PDA

View Full Version : blingbling,

whonow
02-27-2006, 03:40 PM
About my last thread about "vendors" I dont mind the thread being closed. I am just glad other people agree on here...but thanks ToNy

Delphinus
02-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Apparently I am a bad moderator, which is what OCDP, Emilyb and others were implying.

I'll say it again though. It is not productive to air your greivances about stores publicly. All you will accomplish is to create bad feelings.

And it has nothing to do with whether a store is a sponsor or not. I find the insinuation by someone I once thought was a friend to be nothing short of a slap in the face.

Incidentally, I haven't bought at Ocean's in a long time, but the last time I was there, some 2 or 3 weeks ago, they had the best selection of SPS in the city at that particular moment. So say what you want, but all stores have their good days and they all have their bad days. Going in on one of those days will surely influence your opinion on them. I'm not going to try to convince you to change your opinion of any store, I never have, and I never will. It's up to you to form your own opinions, and they are valid, whatever they may be. But to bring them here is surely to invite a flame war. Go ahead and prove me wrong OCDP, Emilyb, and midgetwaiter.

whonow
02-27-2006, 03:52 PM
I agree with your statement, but all I am doing is giving an opinion. I am not trying to send people away from that "unmentioned" place

OCDP
02-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Apparently I am a bad moderator, which is what OCDP, Emilyb and others were implying.

Ouch, Monday mornings eh....

I will just simply say ... You've got it all wrong my friend :)

christyf5
02-27-2006, 03:57 PM

Nice work guys :rolleyes:

SJSobczyk
02-27-2006, 03:59 PM
I dont understand why these kinds of threads keep on being closed? I thought we lived in a world with Free Speech?

An opinion is an opinion, not a fact............

Steve

OCDP
02-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Wow, I don't know if that's sarcasm or not... but you'd never know it was a crappy, cold, snowing Monday morning around here eh?

Let me clarify why I posted about the Riverfront thread... that thread was open for 3-4 days I think until it was finally closed. Nothing was said to anyone.. the bashing just continued. Notice how I never posted in there? I have my opinion as well... but I knew it would be useless. That's all I was saying...... a thread was created and it was closed within 1 post.... the riverfront thread was allowed to go on for 3 pages until it was closed. And this doesn't mean I am blaming any of the mod's for this problem at all (especially you Tony) I am simply just stating the facts... I don't see how I've done anything remotely wrong here. Or to make anyone feel bad. But apparantley I have... so for that I apalogize.. that was not my intention.

christyf5
02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah opinion is nice and all but then we receive complaints about them, even if they are several days after the fact......:rolleyes:

albert_dao
02-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Complaints are a form of feedback :D

christyf5
02-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Wow, I don't know if that's sarcasm or not... but you'd never know it was a crappy, cold, snowing Monday morning around here eh?

Let me clarify why I posted about the Riverfront thread... that thread was open for 3-4 days I think until it was finally closed. Nothing was said to anyone.. the bashing just continued. Notice how I never posted in there? I have my opinion as well... but I knew it would be useless. That's all I was saying...... a thread was created and it was closed within 1 post.... the riverfront thread was allowed to go on for 3 pages until it was closed. And this doesn't mean I am blaming any of the mod's for this problem at all (especially you Tony) I am simply just stating the facts... I don't see how I've done anything remotely wrong here. Or to make anyone feel bad. But apparantley I have... so for that I apalogize.. that was not my intention.

You know, I could say something here but I won't. Mostly because I will probably run off at the mouth here. I'll just say that us moderators, interestingly enough, have lives, and sometimes we don't have time to check every thread so we miss some. Sorry we missed that one. I'll try to attach my computer and babysit you guys more often because apparently y'all seem to need it :rolleyes:

mr_alberta
02-27-2006, 04:10 PM
This is a world of free speech, however, this board is not "the world." For example, lets say that in your house you don't allow smoking. Now, am I allowed to come into your house and smoke and do whatever else you don't allow in your house? Most likely not. The same thing applies here. We are all "visitors" in Titus' "house" so we must adhere to his rules.

Just my point of view.

OCDP
02-27-2006, 04:13 PM
This keeps coming back to bite me in the butt, and thats not my intention... I think a lot of this is a big misunderstanding on my part. And IMO , I have done nothing wrong . That's all I need to know really.

Have yourselves a lovely, wonderful happy Monday.

muck
02-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Just my point of view.

I wish more people would see it your way Harv. Its seems a lot of people nowadays think they have the right to do whatever they feel like.
Respect seems to have made a hasty retreat from peoples values over the last decade or so. :sad:

midgetwaiter
02-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Okay well I suppose the lesson for me here is that I should not post when half asleep without reading very carefully.

One thing to get out of the way, I speak for myself only, not my employer in any way, etc.

I do take things that people say in threads about my workplace rather personally, I am proud of the work I do. I don't really have a problem with people stating their opinions (good or bad) about about the store. Ocassionally you get some useful feedback and more often you get a chance to address someone's concerns on a particular subject. The policy here is to keep such threads off the board and I have no complaint there, your board, your rules.

What got me annoyed was not that the thread existed or what people had to say, I never complained about either. I have my own post in there that addresses some of the comments I thought were worth discussing, others I ignored. The thing that got me was what was pointed out by another member, a thread about one local shop was immediately guided by a moderator where the one about Riverfront had gone on for 4 days and 3 pages. Your policy is your policy, whatever it may be. It would just be nice to see it applied equally.

Where I went wrong on the other hand is what I posted last night. The intent was lightharted and a little sarcastic, which is often my manner. Unfortunately this intent often does not come across correctly in a board post. I should know this by now but I still do make this mistake sometimes. The addition of a smiliey or something could have avoided this.

I would like to offer a big apology to the moderators and Delphinus particularly. While I do think that there was a problem in the way the policy was applied I had no reason to question your ethics or motivation publicly. I can only say that while that was more or less exactly what I did, it was not my intent and I apologize.

whonow
02-27-2006, 04:48 PM
this is now turning into an apology to the moderator thread??:wink:

digital-audiophile
02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Peharps my perception is skewed, but how is talking about LFS's in either good or bad ways, any different than debating the pros and cons of something, like say skimmers.

ie. - Coralife are the best! no they suck! Use Prizm! ... and so forth. Same sh** different pile if you ask me?

christyf5
02-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Because I don't see Prizm or Coralife coming after us for slandering their product. A LFS owner on the other hand......

saltynuts
02-27-2006, 06:29 PM
this is going to get ugly. i think the mods are doing a good job.
its hard to watch everyting when you have a life( please don,t take that the wrong way) i.e. job, kids. i must be a bad monday!
ad it is titus,s house his rules and thank you for letting us in

Delphinus
02-27-2006, 06:34 PM
The theme of "why isn't this policy applied equally" is recurring. Again and again, it comes up. Well if you had this to say here, why didn't you say it there.

The only thing I can say is that I am only human, there are only so many hours in a day, I have a job and I have a family and I have 4 tanks to tend to. I cannot, and I will not, ever, be able to catch every thread. Point blank, I don't even READ every thread on this board any more. There was a time that I did, but it's simply not possible anymore.

I didn't catch the Riverfront thread until it was way into the 3rd page. At that point, I saw midgetwaiter had posted a reply from Riverfront's perspective. In the interest of "free speech" I wanted him (or her, I don't know who you are) to have his say as well. I thought his remarks were fair and appropriate, so I let the thread be.

When it finally degraded into complaints about the leaking roof, we realized we had let the thread go on too far, and the thread was closed. But it goes to show you, when you open the door just a little, someone will barge right on through it.

That's why this time, I just had a few minutes before calling it a day, and I saw ... yet another "let's talk about the vendors" threads. So I commented on it. I thought I was reasonably polite and I said my opinion on it. I didn't close the thread then, I only commented on it. But my comments get immediate rebukes and admonishment. It feels like a double standard to me. So yes I closed that thread in the end but only because it became about me. Well, I didn't start that, but I can and will end that, when it happens.

I am just one person in the hobby. I come to Canreef to learn more about my hobby, to see what others are doing, and to just enjoy in the camaraderie with others who share my interest in reefs. But because I volunteered to help with the administration of the board, apparently my actions must be beyond reproach. Well I'm only human folks. Expect me to screw up from time to time. I try to be polite to folks, and I only ask to be treated in kind in return.

I really don't know what more I can say here. I guess, midgetwaiter, I see your apology. I thank you for consideration that you put into this. Same for you, Scott. I honestly am a nice person in real life, at least I think I am. I try to be on friendly terms with all people and I try to keep my motives transparent. I apologize for being the big bad moderator and I apologize for not being able to keep on top of all things and when it was your workplace that was affected I apologize I wasn't able to get a lid on it sooner.

Peace to everyone. I hope. :biggrin:

Tarolisol
02-28-2006, 01:00 AM
I think Tony's a nice guy :)
And I like Oceans as well.

fishmanty
02-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Just a random thing to add:

Lots of people say bad things about a lot of stores in Calgary, but personally... thats never stopped me from going to them before... all it does is bring me aware that something may be overpriced, and its best to shop around to get the best deal for the best condition/size/etc...

I like to read what people have to say about the stores, because sometimes i share the opinions that are stated... but at the same time, it all has to be done with respect, keeping in mind that some store owners read this, and want to learn from what people say, instead of being offended by it...

Just my 2 cents...

Good work Mod's on doing your job tho, its nice to see a board that is well kept
:smile:

EmilyB
03-01-2006, 04:37 AM
I just wanted to say that I think you take things far too personally Tony. :razz: For all my response was worth, I was responding to the editor of a newspaper. I think it was a valid observation. And yes, I make the separation from the moderator to the friend. It is you who seems not to be able to do this.

Thank God there's something on this board once in a while to perk one's interest.:wink: