PDA

View Full Version : new hqi bulbs WOW $$$$$$$$$$$$$$4

atcguy
02-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Just changed out my 2 250 w Hqi bulbs from Hamilton 10000k to geismann 13500k. Wow what a difference. I still have 2 110 w VHO actinics. My colors are much better. I was on a 1pm-10pm cycle (9 hours) before. What are most of you using ? Also I was told to reduce the cycle til everything adjusts. 3 days now at 4 hours. No signs of stress other than my anemone moving up and getting sucked around my seio intake, came home to chewed up tenticles floating throughout my tank. Its fine now back in the sand. and hasnt moved in a few days. should I start to increase an hour a day til back up to 9 hours. getting into sps now aswell. How fast do you guys move your new corals from the sand up to their final home?? Thanks

digital-audiophile
02-27-2006, 02:14 PM
I was using a Giesemann 250W 13.5K and found the colour to be way to white/yellow for the k rating? I switched out the bulb becasue of this. I'm really starting to wonder if I had a faulty bulb.

OCDP
02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Do these guys makes 150w bulbs? I'd be interested in ordering one of their 150w HQI's to see what all the rave is about.

mr_alberta
02-27-2006, 02:37 PM
I was using a Giesemann 250W 13.5K and found the colour to be way to white/yellow for the k rating? I switched out the bulb becasue of this. I'm really starting to wonder if I had a faulty bulb.

The 13.5K Megachrome bulbs I have also look yellowish white to me, but everyone else who sees them say they are pure white, so who knows!

They are bright though!

Look through the JL website if you want to see if they sell a 150W Scott.

atcguy
02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Not yellow at all I am using the actinics, Put it this way the hamiltons that came with my reef-star pendents were turning very yellow when I switched over, So maybe thats w hy these seem so nice. I think the bulb life is greater to with the german bulbs. sure brings out better color!!!

digital-audiophile
02-27-2006, 03:52 PM
They are super bright, you are right, but with that brightness it was drowning out my actinics. I'm using a 10k venture now which is bluish to start and with the actinics I think is perfect :)

I'm keeping my Giesemann as a back up bulb.

mr_alberta
02-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Greg, you might like the 20K AB Bulb. Just something to consider the next time you replace bulbs. The Hamilton 14K is also probably another bulb that you'd like.

Bob I
02-27-2006, 04:22 PM
I use the 150W Gieseman 14500K Megachrome Coral bulb. It is the best bulb I have ever owned. I no longer use any actinics.:mrgreen:

digital-audiophile
02-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Greg, you might like the 20K AB Bulb. Just something to consider the next time you replace bulbs. The Hamilton 14K is also probably another bulb that you'd like.

What is the par like on the 20k. Where do you get these bulbs from? Online I would assume? I've actually been waiting for oceans here in calgary to get in some stock of 250w EVC bulbs, they have a 14k on their SPS tank and it is amazing.

I use the 150W Gieseman 14500K Megachrome Coral bulb. It is the best bulb I have ever owned. I no longer use any actinics.

- Bob, that's one of the reason why I thought I might have a "faulty" bulb. I remeber seeing your light when I was at you place and remembered how nice it was and how happy you were with it. That is one of the reasons I ordered the Giesemann bulb when I bought my halide pendant.