PDA

View Full Version : A few tank pics

rickjames
02-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Traded in my broken Nikon 7900 for the Canon S80 today. This is one sweet camera, I love the underwater white balance.

Nikon 7900:
http://web.unbc.ca/~colebanb/fish/tankjan30.jpg

Canon S80:
http://web.unbc.ca/~colebanb/fish/tankfeb26.jpg

Some Zoos:
http://web.unbc.ca/~colebanb/fish/zoos.jpg

Efflo polyps:
http://web.unbc.ca/~colebanb/fish/efflopolyps.jpg

Tangman
02-27-2006, 01:47 AM
What differance between cameras , was the lighting the same in both shots. BTW, nice looking tank.....love the sohal tang

Skimmer Juice
02-27-2006, 02:09 AM
The new camera makes it look like a whole new tank. Looks great.

rickjames
02-27-2006, 02:32 AM
What differance between cameras , was the lighting the same in both shots. BTW, nice looking tank.....love the sohal tang

Yep same lighting, 2X400W Radiums and 2X40W Actinics, the Canon captures the colour the way it looks in my eyes. It's a great camera.

StirCrazy
02-27-2006, 02:39 AM
whats this underwater white ballance?

Steve

rickjames
02-27-2006, 02:47 AM
whats this underwater white ballance?

Steve

It has a builtin underwater white balance setting (you can also set the white balance manually) for shooting with the waterproof case. Works great for tanks, I used the setting and the colour looks great.

Tangman
02-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Yep same lighting, 2X400W Radiums and 2X40W Actinics, the Canon captures the colour the way it looks in my eyes. It's a great camera.
COOL:biggrin:

Invigor
02-27-2006, 06:43 PM
try setting your white balance to your actinics then take some pics..makes for some really neat pictures

rickjames
02-27-2006, 07:38 PM
try setting your white balance to your actinics then take some pics..makes for some really neat pictures

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try. The great thing about digital is it's free to play :razz:

crusty1
02-27-2006, 09:17 PM
What I do is use a white sheet a paper to reflect the actinics and/or MH lights and then set the white balance to that.

Jason McK
02-27-2006, 09:44 PM
What I do is use a white sheet a paper to reflect the actinics and/or MH lights and then set the white balance to that.

Ya that's the right way for those of use who don't have fancy smancy new cameras :)

Great shots. WOW what a difference a couple of year of software developement makes

J

TheReefGeek
02-27-2006, 09:48 PM
I assume the underwater case works well then? Always seemed risky to me, the thought of dipping a brand new camera in water.

With a case like that you could get such great pictures though!

rickjames
02-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Ya that's the right way for those of use who don't have fancy smancy new cameras :)
J

Yes it is a fancy smancy camera I know! :razz:

I assume the underwater case works well then? Always seemed risky to me, the thought of dipping a brand new camera in water.

Sorry my post was misleading, I don't have the waterproof case, but I am using the underwater white balance setting (rather then setting it manually) that was designed for shooting underwater pictures. I meant that the builtin underwater white balance setting is perfect for shooting my tank.

Yeah, and I would be nervous about dipping the camera in the tank too. :razz: It is black so needless to say my trigger would probably attack it as well. He hates anything black, dwarf angel, kent proscraper, and probably canon s80! :mrgreen:

TheReefGeek
02-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Gotcha. Do you use a macro setting or just zoom?

rickjames
02-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Gotcha. Do you use a macro setting or just zoom?

Macro for the two close ups.

Snappy
02-27-2006, 11:12 PM

I have a water proof case for mine and use it whenever I dive. It is rated for 200' but I have only had it to 135'. At that depth the case was fine but the camera acted up under all that preasure.

TheReefGeek
02-27-2006, 11:52 PM
What camera do you use snappy?

rickjames
02-28-2006, 02:19 AM
It is rated for 200' but I have only had it to 135'.

Holy crap! 135 feet!? I'm not a diver myself but isn't that a little deep?:razz:

That's one good stress test.