PDA

View Full Version : Foxface in reefs

Joe Reefer
02-26-2006, 09:18 PM
I would like to hear some experiences with these fish in reef tanks.

TheReefGeek
02-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Just got my first one 2-3 weeks ago in my 180. He has developed grey patches as pictured in my thread on the issue.

So far though, he eats a wide variety of foods (various algae, frozen, and flake) and he does not pester or get pestered in the tank. Stays away from corals.

KrazyKuch
02-26-2006, 10:00 PM
He seems to be doing finr in my 77Gal!!

BMW Rider
02-26-2006, 10:08 PM
I've had one in my reef tank for 1.5 years with no trouble.

Gizmo
02-26-2006, 11:38 PM
I've kept one in my 70G for about 9 months now. It is great with corals, never nips at them, and it generally a good community fish. It had a bit of a fight with my Yellow tang for a while, I had to seperate them, but other than that he does very well. I keep him with, Saddleback clowns, regal tang, coral beauty, blue spot rabbitfish, royal gramma, scooter blenny and a dragon goby. All is well. I highly recommend these fish, HOWEVER a word of warning that they have extremely poisonous spines that could kick the crap out of you if you get pricked... just be careful. In my mind, you need to be as cautions around these creatures as you do a lionfish.

Skimmerking
02-27-2006, 01:05 AM
ALando you are suppose to read up first then buy the fish...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: I wouldnt worry i had good sucess with mine in my 120. And Doug has one in his tank doing really good too.

mike

geopod
02-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Had one in for 3 yrs and no problem with the reef at all.Never picked on corals at all.Likes calurpa though

george

Joe Reefer
02-27-2006, 01:53 AM
ALando you are suppose to read up first then buy the fish...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: I wouldnt worry i had good sucess with mine in my 120. And Doug has one in his tank doing really good too.

mike

I did my reading just wanted to hear some first hand experiences.

TheReefGeek
02-27-2006, 03:02 AM
Mine like Chaeto the best out of several macro algaes I have.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-27-2006, 05:24 AM
I often see different foxfaces in OA's coral tanks earning their keep by chowing down on any unwanted algae that might pop up. Never saw any go after corals.

EmilyB
02-27-2006, 06:05 AM
My foxface went from 1.5" to 9" in a couple years. Nice fish, don't bend well at large sizes.....

wetcoast
02-27-2006, 04:32 PM
I've had a foxface for approximately a year now in a 65gallon mixed reef. This is by far the most timid fish in the tank, but one who steps up and gets in the way of any fights that could be occurring with other fish. Very welcome in my tank.

There has been a few incidents where some green start polyps disappeared out of the tank.... They have been moved to another tank.

MitchM
02-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi y'all,

I have two foxfaces' in my tank - 1 from Deb and the other I've had for 6 or so years. Great fish, need lots of swimming room.
They eat mysis and nori from my hand now, but I've seen times when they have nipped/eaten soft coral and some LPS. I think that that has more to do with the water conditions and their diet at the time rather than them being "reef-unfriendly".

Mitch