PDA

View Full Version : Feather Dusters...

geopod
02-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Does anyone have a clue what a feather duster looks like when It is out of its case???I came home today and seen my larger one was moved so I went to move it back and seen this long looked like a bristle worm sticking out of the back of it so I pulled it out and the feather duster was inside this thing it is a weird looking worm but maybe thats what the feather duster is/......did I just kill it??

geoerge

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Sorry buddy. A feather duster is just a big ugly worm with a modified filter to catch prey. They sometimes lose their "feathers" but if it survive, it will grow back again.

Anthony

geopod
02-26-2006, 12:01 AM
So this huge thing that I thought was a bristle worm is actually the body of the feather duster....Man am I a putz...This was a big awaiin one too.....

Thanks Anthony for the info

george

geopod
02-26-2006, 12:11 AM
ok NOTE to self....dont pull out the worm......Anthony..Thanks alot for letting me know this.I took the worm and put his back end back into the tube and the bugger crawled back in all the way so He is now back in the tank again.I am glad I didnt disect it.I was literally gonna cut it open to save the fether duster not knowing it was an actual worm.......but he is alive and well still...

george

geopod
02-26-2006, 12:12 AM
PS now I am doing the Chicken Littel Dance

bulletsworld
02-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Sorry buddy. A feather duster is just a big ugly worm with a modified filter to catch prey. They sometimes lose their "feathers" but if it survive, it will grow back again.

:lol: :lol: Love your description there Anthony.

Yeah its a big brittle worm all right. I lost my cocworm a while back, thought it was the weirdest looking thing ever that crawled out. I heard they crawl out of their shell before they die. Any one have any info as to why they would leave their shell?

bulletsworld
02-26-2006, 12:14 AM
O.h George...you pulled it out... sorry missed that. :lol:

Attack of the worm! :lol: Ugly sucker though hey. :wink:

geopod
02-26-2006, 02:42 AM
yep it was ugly kinda looked like a cross between a bristleworm and something you would find in an alien movie

george

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Don't feel bad George, I had the exact same reaction the first time I saw its ugly naked body. Ewwwww, kill it. Dang bristleworm killed my beautiful Hawaiian feather duster. Luckily I left it alone & it grew back its "feathers" a couple of weeks later.

bulletsworld
02-26-2006, 02:54 AM
first time I saw its ugly naked body. Ewwwww, kill it.

:lol: :lol: ROTG LMAO

Nemo
02-26-2006, 04:22 AM
If you want to see a very nice example of one go to www.globalreefers.com

on the main page one of the rotating pics is a feather duster

adidas
02-26-2006, 06:09 AM
I had one that left it's shell and was wandering all over, was weird.