PDA

View Full Version : Weird bump on clown!

OCDP
02-25-2006, 09:12 PM
I am noticing this weird raised bump on my female clown. It's on the right side of the fish , on the bottom of it's second band. I really can't get a picture.. I tried for like 45 minutes (honestly..) They just do not sit still. I don't know how else to describe it.. it's kind of in the shape of an 0 (like that..) but not quite as big obviously. It's a little discoloured in that area as well.. and I seen the same kind of coloration on it's tailfin and right fin.

Other than the obvious... stable, good paramaters... minimal stress. feeding heavy .. using garlic as well (or is this a bad idea?) I also feed flakes...

I'm not sure what it could be :neutral:

*edit* I should also note.. the fish seems to be doing great.. eats like a pig of course, swims normally..

bulletsworld
02-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Is the raised bump fuzzy looking & whitish in color?

How long have you had this fish? How many days since you noticed these bumps?

OCDP
02-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey Lee,

It's so hard for me to describe what the bump looks like. But I'd say no, it really doesn't look white and fuzzy.

I have had this fish for hmmm....this is a rough guess (give or take a month) but I'd say in April of last year. So that would mean, almost a year I guess!

HTH,

I just hope she's not slowly going on me or anything like that.

Beverly
02-26-2006, 06:02 PM
I had similar bumps on one of my fish about a year ago. They were too big to be ich and were on the body, fins and tail. Talked to the lfs about it and after going through his book on fish diseases he thought it might be Lymphocystis. He suggested raising the tank temp a few degrees for a week or two.

To confirm his treatment, I did a little research on it and found mostly webpages about freshwater lake fish. Seems the fish have more problems with Lymphocystis in cooler water temps, but in summer, when water temps rise the cysts go away.

So I raised my tank temp to about 82F, if I remember correctly. The bumps went away within about a week.

Just did a quick Google and found the following page. It was a page I remember seeing last time I did the search. The bumps on my fish were very small and were white in comparison to the one on the queen angel in the pics. The pic really freaked me out, and I raised the tank temp right away :eek:

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/Kurkjian/index.htm

Hope that helps :smile:

OCDP
02-26-2006, 06:48 PM
I can try to raise my temp... although I don't know if that's the best idea given that this may not be what they have. There is only one bump, which is a darker colour... and on the fins it's almost like a peachy colour.. very hard for me to describe!

I guess that's one option is to try and raise the temp.. I don't want to lose my clown, she's my fav!

OCDP
02-27-2006, 02:48 AM
Upon further observation.. I'd say the bump somewhat resembles a bubble .. if that helps any.

OCDP
03-01-2006, 02:36 PM
No one else with any ideas? The bubble is still there, and it appears that something similar in appearance and shape is forming on the first white band near the gills now :( I hope she's not sick or anything.... but like I said, she eats like a pig, acts fine... she's acting like her normal old self :neutral:

digital-audiophile
03-01-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm actually finding something similar on one of my clowns I will try to take a picture tonight myself.

Beverly
03-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Scott,

The bumps on my fish looked a bit like bubbles, too. It ate and swam around normally and did not appear to be sick, either.

Have you raised the temp in your tank?

Here is ATJ's section on fish diseases. It does not mention Lymphocystis, however...

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/fishdiseases.html

mr_alberta
03-01-2006, 02:55 PM
See if this page here lists what your fish may have:

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html

OCDP
03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Bev,

I have indeed raised the tank temp. But I am a little weary in doing so.... as I have lots of SPS in the tank, so I didn't raise it by much. I think if I do decide to continute to increase the temp. then I will do it slow.. as I don't want to shock anything. Thanks for that link as well :smile:

Greg,

I am curious to see a picture of your clown now (good luck taking a shot :razz: ) If you can, that would be great (if the bumps are similar of course) ..

OCDP
03-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately none of the diseases on that page look similar to what the clownfish has. Thanks for the link though!