PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Nanaimo?

waywaywest
02-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Howdy. I live in Nanaimo (near the Black Bear Pub). Just wondering if there are any reefers in the area, it woiuld be great to have an experienced SW hobbyist check out my tank.

Cheers,
Rob Christopher

Kabong
02-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Welocome to the board Rob.
And yeah there's a few guys up your way. Im sure they'll chime in a say hello.

waywaywest
02-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Welocome to the board Rob.
And yeah there's a few guys up your way. Im sure they'll chime in a say hello.

Thanks! If you're ever in the neighbourhood, give me a shout (390-4241). Would love to get some input on how my tank is going (haven't had much success posting pics).

Cheers,
Rob

christyf5
02-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Howdy, I'm from Nanaimo :biggrin:

Welcome to Canreef!

What size tank do you have?

Christy :)

waywaywest
02-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey Christy. Nice website! I've got a 70-gallon reef. I started it August/05 and have been taking it pretty slow, partly because it's better, partly because there's no wehre in Nanaimo to buy anything! Probably a good thing.

So far I've got about 80# LR, a sebae with two resident Clowns, a brain coral, a hammer, a mushroom leather, three really cool fire shrimp and a few Hermit crabs. Not ot metnion all the snails/slugs that have come out of no where. All are doing well, but the hammer hasn't developed as much as I'd like, and since they're a good indicator of water quality I've been trying some things to get the Calcium/Alk up. The anemone and the leather are both growing like crazy, as are the Clowns...

My main pain in the butt right now is some green hair algae that annoys me and a ton of different purple-coloured macro algae that I'm not thrilled about but for the most part looks kinda cool. Have just used a phosphate sponge so will hope to see less of this stuff soon.

I live near the Black Bear Pub, let me know if you're in the area, would love someone with more experience to check out the tank.

Cheers,
Rob Christopher

BCWolfen
02-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Hey Rob,

Welcome aboard.

I live near Earls if your ever heading about that way and would like to check out my 90. Wife and I sometimes eat at BB Pub, I'll message you if we head that way one day. Would love to see another Reef tank in Nanaimo.

A good place to buy your stuff is Island PEt Zone in Duncan. His prices are good and he gets nice SW stuff in.

waywaywest
03-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks Gerald. I checked out Island Pet Zone today, the owner seemed like a good guy, very knowledgeable. In fact, I picked up 8 more chromy's, 20 algae-eating hermits and a starfish who's main job in life will be to keep my substrate happy.

Will definitely pop by one day to check out your tank!

Cheers,
Rob Christopher

Scavenger
03-01-2006, 04:55 AM
Hi there waywaywest,

Damn I'm slow!! As usual, I appear to be the last on the list, <sigh,> I think it's just us 3 {But wait now it's 4!!!!} "online reefkeepers" in town. Welcome onboard. My tank also is available if you want a look and I'll be here if you have any questions. I'm not the most advanced aquarist out there, but hey, at least I'm in town. LOL!

waywaywest
03-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Howdy Scavenger, thanks for the welcome! I've been mostly using Reef Central since I started this project last August. Glad there are a few reefers in Nanaimo, maybe one day we'll actually have a LFS that knows anything!

I'm in Pleasant Valley near the Black Bear Pub, if yoiu're in the area some time give me a shout I'd love to have some opinions on my 70.

BTW, I see you're a "health care provider". I work for a company called MD Management, maybe you've heard of it?

Cheers,
Rob Christopher

Scavenger
03-01-2006, 05:13 AM
Hey Rob,

Sorry I'm not familiar with MD Management, but my sister is head cook at the Black Bear if that counts for anything. LOL!

I don't want to "dis" any local LFS establishments, but............................................... ...Enough said???<grin>

So you are in the health care field too? I work for the government caring for adults with disabilities, I'd like to hear of your area as well. Perhaps one day soon a cold one in front of a tank is in order?

EDIT For: whoops, my LFS comment could be misread, My favorite LFS is IPZ, but I didn't count them as LFS as they are not really "L" to me. It's a road trip. Sorry my friend, if I ruffled your feather.

waywaywest
03-01-2006, 05:22 AM
Hey Rob,

Sorry I'm not familiar with MD Management, but my sister is head cook at the Black Bear if that counts for anything. LOL!

Since the BB has great food, I'd say that's a sister worth keeping in touch with...

MD Management is the financial planning arm of the Cdn Medical Association, basically our clients are doctors and their families.

Beer sounds good, will get in touch with yoiu shortly. Just spent some dough down at Island Pet Zone in Duncan today, need to get back to watching my starfish truck around the tank...

Cheers,
Rob

Scavenger
03-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Truck ON!!

Doug
03-01-2006, 01:01 PM
:biggrin: Moving to the Vancover Island forum.