PDA

View Full Version : Reef Lobster are they reef safe?

Deathstar
02-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Hi guys,

I was looking at a Reef Lobster the other day they look kind of cool. Does anyone have one? Are they hard to take care of? Are they reef safe? Do they eat corals?

Here is a link to picture of one.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=310&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

Thanks,

shadowboy
02-25-2006, 05:09 PM
I have one, hardly ever see it, about once a week when the lights go out. None of my fish have been murdered, my corals are fine and other wise he's just a peaceful little guy. I have lost a bunch of snails though, so maybe watch out for your snails. the smallest fish I have are clownfish and they sleep safely in thier colt coral at night so if you have any smaller fish id be wary

hth

tristan

bulletsworld
02-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I have one in my reef that I have had for about three years now. Ironically he's buddies with my Regal tang, I find they sleep next to each other every night. I keep checking to see if there is any marks on the Regal but nothing. I have seen mine charge at fish with its claws open but I found it was because he's territorial of his spot. He doesn't let anyone but the Regal tang in his spot. lol. I have never found him hurt any fish, even though some of my fish now (cowfish & puffer) want to eat him. Hehe

Mine does hide all the time until the night. Mine tends to stay in the same spot under my live rock, so it’s easy to find but keep in mind these lobster are nocturnal creatures. At night you will see mine bogging around the tank.

Most of the time I don’t see him unless it comes feeding time. I put a piece of Krill on the stick & feed it to him once a week. He's so used to the routine he will come out and grab it. I find mine is really shy but regardless key is to make sure he's fed or he may go after your shrimps when the lights go out. I have had everything from a full reef, gobies, urchins, shrimps, assort crabs, assort snails, sea cucumbers, star fish, anemones, softies, LPS, SPS, ect and never found him bother them. I love the colors of these lobsters and they keep small. Even after having mine for all this time he's hardly gone larger then my shrimps.

Otherwise I have had no problems with mine and continue to keep him in my main tank, whether it is reef or fish only.

Hope this helps.

4ptbuck
02-25-2006, 07:45 PM
I had one just like the picture.
He was always a suspect in myterious death of smaller fish, ie firefish size.
Since I got rid of no more missing fish, or nipped fins.

Hmmm....

Also hardly saw him during the day. He lived in a cave in the back of the tank, and he roamed the tank after lights out.

Not for me again...
but to each their own.

4pts

Chin_Lee
02-25-2006, 07:57 PM
For those who have them, how big do they get or how quickly do they grow? I want to know when I will be able to eat one if I get one :)

bulletsworld
02-25-2006, 08:26 PM
For those who have them, how big do they get or how quickly do they grow? I want to know when I will be able to eat one if I get one :)

LMAO!

Umm...you'd be waiting a super long time. They lobsters dont get big. Lets just say mine has grown maybe an inch in a three year period. Its only about 3.5 " now.

Deathstar
02-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the information guys,:mrgreen:

One more question, Do they eat clams?

Thanks,

scub steve
02-25-2006, 09:39 PM
i had one exactly like that there really cool if you like a bulldozer in your tank he did not eat anything but he did like to aquascape my tank

bulletsworld
02-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the information guys,:mrgreen:

One more question, Do they eat clams?

Thanks,

I've never had mine over the years every touch a clam or bother with a clam. Has any body else every have a problem though?

If anything your shrimps would be something it goes after. Just keep it fed weekly. I feed mine a piece of Krill once a week. I have mine with 3 cleaner shrimps right now for the longest time with no problems. Something else to consider to is I have mine in a large tank. Perhaps smaller tank would be different. Every creature behaves differently, so what could work for one doesn't always work for another. But you don't know untill you try, right?

Deathstar
02-26-2006, 04:02 PM
i had one exactly like that there really cool if you like a bulldozer in your tank he did not eat anything but he did like to aquascape my tank

I don't think I would like that too much if he moves all my frags all over the place. I think I will hold off on the reef lobster.

Thanks for all your input guys