PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae Starting

fishmanty
02-25-2006, 04:56 AM
Looks like I have a bit of hair algae growing in, and Im wondering what I can do to rid myself of it before it becomes a problem to my reef tank...

I remember hearing about a fish that eats hair algae, what is that fish?
Anyone have one for sale?? or trades??

I can get pictures if its needed... but yeah, its hair algae... you've seen one you've seen em all.

Tank specs:
Nitrite 0
Ammonia practically zero...
salinity: 1.024/25
Temp: 80

need anything else?

TheReefGeek
02-25-2006, 05:03 AM
Ammonia "practically" zero is not good. If it is anything but zero, you are still cycling your tank.

If you are not cycling your tank, you should test for phospahtes. And we need a nitrate test too.

Regardless, start running a phosphate remove such as rowaphos or similar.

Any algae eating fish CAN eat hair algae, but it is usually their least favorite :)

Lawnmower blennies, foxface rabbitfish, some tangs will eat it. The best animal is a sea hare, but you wont have enough to keep it alive very long so I dont recommend it but for a really large tank.

Physical removal will help as well.

Are you using RODI water for top off?

fishmanty
02-25-2006, 05:12 AM
Currently can't afford the RO systems... looking into it... trying to find someone that can give me 15 gallons of their RO water in SE/SW calgary, down near Anderson, that I could just pick up and dump in... but Im not sure how effective 1/6 RO water can be... What do you think?

When I say the ammonia is pretty much zero.. its cause It looks to me like both color regions on the chart... my gf thinks its zero.. so lets go with that

I got a tiny cleaning crew in there, and more coming in soon.. so hopefully that will help...

I don't have a nitrate tester... probably gotta go buy that one now too...

How much are phosphate testers?

Regardless, start running a phosphate remove such as rowaphos or similar.

What exactly is that? and how do I use it? Never had to remove phosphates before...

I'll do some physical removal with tweezers tomorrow after work

Denis
02-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Hi FishManty,
Check this tread, you can get RO/DI for $133.75
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23014

fishmanty
02-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Thanks, I asked about shipping and didn't get a reply, so im assuming thats a vancouver only order... my loss

SJSobczyk
02-28-2006, 01:55 AM
I am in Willowpark and if you desperatly need some RO water i can do 15 gallons for you. Might take me a while but it can be done.

Let me know

Steve