PDA

View Full Version : Who would you buy from?

Kryten
02-23-2006, 06:07 PM
I've pretty much made up my mind that I want a 24" Aqualight Pro 150 HQI from Coralife, as well as a Wavemaster Pro, for my new 20 gal that I'm setting up. The question is where is the best place to buy them from? J&L Aquatics has them for a seemingly decent price. Big Al's online has them for much higher prices (like $200 more for the aqualight pro :crazyeye:), but they claim that they will beat anyone else's price by 5%. Which would you pick to go with, or someone else entirely, keeping in mind I'm in Edmonton?

P.S.
If anyone here has these items for sale or has some good reasons not to buy these particular items I'd be interested in hearing from you as well.

Thanks!

Seriak
02-23-2006, 06:55 PM
For Hardware, I would go with J&L. Big Al's will only match local pricing so you would never get that price from them. Just my 2 cents.

TheReefGeek
02-23-2006, 07:20 PM
If you are doing a dry goods order from JL, lemme know, I order stuff from there all the time, we could split some shipping costs maybe.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Doesn't J&L have free shipping if the order is big enough?

Bob I
02-23-2006, 07:34 PM
J&L would be your better bet. A bit of advice here. If you want to use the fixture with the included legs you need a 18 inch wide tank, or it won't work. For a 12 inch wide tank you have to use the hanger kit.:mrgreen:

TheReefGeek
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes, if your dry goods order is over $200, shipping is free. Lighting still pays 1/2 price.

My stuff will probably be over $200, so good point.

saltaddict
02-23-2006, 07:58 PM
For Hardware, I would go with J&L. Big Al's will only match local pricing so you would never get that price from them. Just my 2 cents.

Not true. Big als will match pricing just print out the product from the net and bring it in. They will charge you equivelant shipping if the product is under $200. I bought a super skimmer and a coralife PC from Big als and had them match both prices from JL.

p.s I do support JLaquatics though. My live rock from them should be here tomorrow.

Ruth
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Why not check with one of our board sponsers like Ocean Aquatics or IPZ? They may be able to help you out and you would be supporting those that support us!

muck
02-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Why not check with one of our board sponsers like Ocean Aquatics or IPZ? They may be able to help you out and you would be supporting those that support us!
Exactly what i was going to suggest. :wink:

Kryten
02-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did check out the OA site, but they don't have these particular products listed. Took me a while to find the IPZ site, and their price for the aqualight pro is a lot higher too. Guess I could ask and see if they'll deal...

Beverly
02-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Steve,

Call Wendall at OA and ask him for what you want. He'll probably be able to get it for you. Ask for matching prices with J&L and he'll probably do that too. Their website isn't fully up to date.

I actually just ordered a whack of VHO tubes for my 67g from AI. They almost matched J&L's prices, and I didn't have to pay shipping, so I think total cost will be very close to J&L.

Snappy
02-24-2006, 03:25 AM
:lol: Yeah...here is somebody that really gets it.:biggrin: Ocean Aquatics has always been good to me. They even kicked in a gift certificate for our last Frag Meet in Calgary. They have earned my business. I agree with Ruth, I always support those that support us first.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Wendell is a very good guy to deal with. You can contact him at:

http://www.oceanaquatics.com/

OA is also one of the first stores to step up & offer to help solve the "bad Kent salt" situation.

Anthony

naesco
02-25-2006, 04:25 AM
I agree. Go with ocean aquatics.
Got a great price on my new six footer and they had a new delivery today

Noj
02-25-2006, 06:45 PM
I just ordered a 36" Aqualight Pro from Wendell. He matched JL's pricing and shipping.

I ordered a few other dry goods that aren't listed on his website and he is able to get those as well. I'm new at this whole salt water aquarium thing but Ocean Aquatics has my business for years to come.

shadowboy
02-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Ocean aquatics, gave me a big frag of a finger leather on an order of only
50$

tb

seashells
02-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Not only you should be attention to price you should also consider what the warranty process is. (Do I need to send it off for several weeks or can it be dealt with locally.) Will they give me a replacement or just repair it and charge for shipping etc. Either OA or J&L will treat you very well.

Doug

G1GY
02-27-2006, 04:05 AM
I've pretty much made up my mind that I want a 24" Aqualight Pro 150 HQI from Coralife

Where ever you buy it from, you're going to be happy with it. :)

I just picked up the 48" Aqualight Pro 250 HQI and I'm very impressed thus far.

mark
02-27-2006, 08:16 PM
It's not just with OA, but quite a few on-line stores I found carry (and stock) much more than they list on their web sites.

Pays to e-mail or call.

Pan
02-27-2006, 10:44 PM
no they don'y only match local pricing....

Willow
02-27-2006, 11:48 PM
no they don'y only match local pricing....

i tryed to get them to price match a canadian reef website and they laughed at me.

Pan
02-28-2006, 03:38 AM
i tryed to get them to price match a canadian reef website and they laughed at me.

hmm...laugh back at them ?