PDA

View Full Version : My sump cracked!

Mike Olson
02-23-2006, 01:37 AM
I was putting in a baffle to stop skimmer bubbles from entering the tank...all was well until around 1PM today when it cracked and started leaking! It must have had a hairline crack to begin with (used Oceanic #2 sump) and Finally gave way when I put a little pressure on it. I am in the process of building another one from a 40g acrylic tank I picked up at King Eds at 6PM.
I have two streams running in the tank and moved up my heater...I should be OK untill the silicon sets tomorrow PM. Shouldnt I? Ive never had to run my tank w/o a sump filter, skimmer. Just wanting to make sure that the 150 will be good until tomorrow eve. without!

Ruth
02-23-2006, 01:43 AM
I think you will be just fine Mike. And my motto always is if thing do start to look sketchy do a water change!

Willow
02-23-2006, 01:46 AM
i ran my tank without a sump for 2 weeks. a couple of powerheads and the heater in the tank and it was fine. take you time mike and do a good job with the sump, im sure you will be fine.

Mike Olson
02-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Thanks...If you dont know,ask! The sad thing about it is I am going to have to remove one or the supports on the stand to get the old one out and the new one in. Its not one of the corner supports or the center support on the bow...its about 1/4 of the way on the front. I dont think it supports much, but I will take precautions anyway....on the positive side- I get to add in a refugium now :-)

Willow
02-23-2006, 02:10 AM
melev had to add a new sump to one of his tanks. check this page out you might give it a try.

http://www.melevsreef.com/55g/55sump.html

Mike Olson
02-26-2006, 04:37 AM
Hi Willow. I actually went with a version of Meleevs 'sump G' for external pump s. My refugium is not a square though. It angles on a 45 on the width part...trying to get as much room as I could in the refugium. My silicon job has something to be desired...man I suck at it! I like straight lines, not corners and nooks! Hey, It holds water. I am placing it in Sun AM.

Jason McK
02-26-2006, 04:53 AM
Oh Crap Mike, I ran without a sump for a good 2 weeks as well. nothing even hick-uped

let me know if you need some help.

BTW the sump that crack was glass were the baffles Acrylic? The Acrylic could have swelled

J