PDA

View Full Version : blue boxfish

i have crabs
02-22-2006, 02:15 PM
i also got a blue boxfish a the end of january for a wedding present from "stinky" but i havnt showed him off yet because he refused to eat for 2 and a half weeks and i wasnt gonna post any pics untill he started incase he desided to gas my qt tank, but hes been eating far 1 week now even if he will only touch small pellets and whatever those little kernles are,so looks like hes here to stay. the pics are a little crapppy but ill get some better ones loaded soon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/customcube061_00.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/customcube062_00.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/djdirtyc/customcube063_00.jpg

Griffin
02-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Awesome little guy/gal :)

Willito
02-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Nice, where did you get him?

dirtyreefer
02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Are the care requirements for these guys the same as the yellow boxfish?

i have crabs
02-22-2006, 05:30 PM
the blue ones are boys and the girls have a black body with white spots they are very simular to the yellow box fish but much harder to get started eating and thiey are way more prone to gasing your tank when stressed but the good thing is they only get 6" not 18 and he came from riverfront wich i hate shopping at but its one of the only ones ive seen for sale

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-22-2006, 05:39 PM
A fish for a wedding present eh. How original! Hmmmmm. Gotta plan to "renew those vows" & just invite reefers this time. Hehehehe.

christyf5
02-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Oh wow. I didn't know they were blue too. Cool fish :cool:

danny zubot
02-22-2006, 08:57 PM
A fish for a wedding present eh. How original! Hmmmmm. Gotta plan to "renew those vows" & just invite reefers this time. Hehehehe.

I'm trying to convince my fiance' to register at the LFS for our wedding. It's not a winning battle.:lol: Too bad the Bay doesn't have a fish section.

Raf
02-22-2006, 11:20 PM
very nice! :)

bulletsworld
02-24-2006, 05:50 AM
Awww....love the blue boxfish. Thanks for sharing. Yeah come to think of it I can't say I ever seen a blue boxfish for sale in Calgary. Nice snag and nice wedding gift!

What have you tried feeding him so far? Did ya name him yet?

neptune9824
02-25-2006, 09:20 AM
He is a very pretty fish. I love the box fish species. I personally have a cowfish. He is really cute. I love how they will follow you around and beg for food.

I just wanted to make sure you new about the toxin that the boxfish can give off that could destroy your entire tank. The blue box fish is actually the worst when it comes to releasing the toxin. If you ever see him stressed or about to die make sure you put him into quarentine immediately.

I have been taking care of these fish for about four years. Like I said they are my favorit and they have great personalities however they can be dangerous to there tank mates.

i have crabs
02-25-2006, 04:10 PM
yes i do know about the toxin last year i lost a huge cowfish to ich wile i was away camping for the weekend,the rest of the fish were ok when i got back but my lion stoped eating and died shortly after but who knows if it was the toxin or not

Chaloupa
02-25-2006, 04:30 PM
What a nice fish! Only seen the females for sale at a place in Victoria here. Very cool! Would love to keep one as they don't grow large...but dicey! Good luck and keep us up to date on his progress.....never thought to register at the LFS for our wedding DARN....I don' think my husband would have appreciated that quite so much! Nice score!

Skimmer Juice
02-26-2006, 10:58 PM
That is a cool fish should have kept him for myself.