PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Clear Filter Q's

kit
02-22-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm picking up a AC 110 (aka 500), but the fish store suggested I needed to buy 4 seperate filters for it.

I wanted to ask this forum for an honest opinion and not from a salesperson point of view (though all comments are welcomed).

The first product is the FOAM insert.
The second product is the CARBON insert.

So far I assume that these 2 are required.

Now the next two I am not sure about?
The Ammo-Rid
The Zeo-Carb

I don't think the Aqua Clear would fit all 4 items inside the housing, and I on the packaging, all of them (other then Foam) are labeled as "Step 2".

Which of those do I buy and in what order do I install them in my filter?

Thanks all for for your help.

Invigor
02-22-2006, 01:41 PM
neither will work in a sw environment. ammo-rid and zeocard both has ammonia absorbing properties, but just get plugged up almost instantly with other minerals found in saltwater.

also, zeocarb is simply 1/2 ammo-rid and 1/2 carbon. You'll be fine with just the sponge and carbon..make sure to clean it though..doesn't take long for the sponge to plug up

kit
02-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry should have been clearer.

The use is for freshwater.
Should I use the amo-rid or zeocarb ontop of the carbon and which one would you recommend?

Of simply stick with Foam and Zeo carb combination?

Thanks again.

Invigor
02-22-2006, 02:14 PM
it all depends if you've got an ammonia problem..if not, why try to remove what's not there? if you do have an ammonia problem, just put in a bag of ammo-rid until it's gone, then replace your carbon..too much media and you'll inhibit flow through the filter

Kabong
02-22-2006, 07:10 PM
The sponge to catch stuff

The carbon to polish the water. (As long as you want the water polished that it)

Ammo-rid to help lower ammonia levels. (Alright for an emergency, But shouldnt you really just do a water change or figure out whats causing the problem.)

Zeo-carb is 1/2 & 1/2 of carbon and ammo rid.

Theres nothing wrong with haveing all on hand, But i wouldnt run them all at same time. I myself run a sponge on my fresh tank's and will only use the others if there is a need.

midgetwaiter
02-23-2006, 06:05 AM
There are really 2 things you should run in the AC filters for best results.

The sponge which you want primarily to catch bits of poop etc and the ceramic rings which provide surface area for good ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria to live on. The sponge will provide the bacteria a place to live as well but it is nice to have the rings to provide that function so you are free to wash the sponge out really well with out the risk of killing all the bacteria. You don't have to use the packaged rings for this either, anything with a lot of surface are will work. You can use a second sponge or my favorite, small pieces of lava rock.

The zeolite products used for ammonia removal are not really required. In my experience they don't really work well anyway.

As others have said, the carbon is not required either. I only use it when I need to remove something from the water like a medication. If you do use it you have to replace it regularly.

I'm not sure how you are supposed to jam all 4 of those in there anyway, it can take 3 max.

kit
02-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Thank you all for the honest truth in suggesting to use primarily the sponge.

How long is the life span of the foam insert before I need to replace it?
(Or just keep rinsing it indefinitely)

christyf5
02-23-2006, 02:13 PM
I usually rinse mine every few weeks as crud and plant bits collect in there. The sponge will start to turn a bit off color. I usually replace it when it starts to get a brownish tinge to it.

Christy :)

Invigor
02-23-2006, 02:29 PM
I think hagen recommends changing the sponge every 6 months for "optimal" biological wellbeing.

deep6er
02-23-2006, 03:59 PM
i would and do myself change the foam insert every 6 months or so. I do water changes on my fresh water tanks once a week and do not use carbon unless I have fry and have never had a problem. Running carbon all the time is a waste of $$ ( i think) . I would run foam and Bio max, and do weekly water changes and you will be good.

good luck

Murminator
02-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I run a mini on my 20G with just carbon. I did run it with foam and my powerhead with foam but my nitrates kept creeping up between water changes so I left them out and my nitrates dropped to zero. Been running with foam for about 3-4 months with no problems :confused:

RD
02-24-2006, 05:13 PM
The AC sponges will last for years, no need to constantly replace them.

Here's how my AC 500's (110's) are set up. One big sponge, two layers of fine blue/white media sandwiched together, then a thin double layer of polyester media for the very fine particles, topped off with a bag of bio-max rings. My water stays crystal clear.

The bio-max ring bags alone have enough bacteria in them to keep the tank stable after cleaning all other filter media. There are far less costly bio media items available than bio-max rings, but I scored these at an auction for next to nothing, and they have performed very well for me over the years. I also never replace the bio-rings, I simply lightly rinse them in clean dechlorinated water when cleaning the other filter media. Contrary to what Hagen states, they too will last for many years.

http://www.ida-may.com/other/ac5001.jpg

HTH

midgetwaiter
02-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I have rings and sponges that I have been using for 10 or 11 years.

JHG
04-20-2006, 05:29 AM
The AC sponges will last for years, no need to constantly replace them.

Here's how my AC 500's (110's) are set up. One big sponge, two layers of fine blue/white media sandwiched together, then a thin double layer of polyester media for the very fine particles, topped off with a bag of bio-max rings. My water stays crystal clear.

The bio-max ring bags alone have enough bacteria in them to keep the tank stable after cleaning all other filter media. There are far less costly bio media items available than bio-max rings, but I scored these at an auction for next to nothing, and they have performed very well for me over the years. I also never replace the bio-rings, I simply lightly rinse them in clean dechlorinated water when cleaning the other filter media. Contrary to what Hagen states, they too will last for many years.

HTH
I couldn't agree with you more. Hagen sponges last for years as do the rings. I wouldn't bother with the other inserts they recommend as they're not needed. Cycle your tank, perform regular water changes and "clean" the sponges as Neil mentionned above and you'll be fine in a freshwater tank.

Bartman
04-20-2006, 05:31 PM
If you rinse/squeeze the sponge in a bucket of tank water during your water changes you also won't have to worry about killing all the bacteria in the sponge.