PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Pump Review's

Willow
02-22-2006, 08:42 AM
reefs.org has a review thread up, beta testers are leaving their comments on how well the pump works. so far the responces are very positive.

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80987&start=0

In a nutshell... it works as designed. Quiet, controllable, high output, low power consumption pump.

No wires in tank. No one notices the tanks ear muffs as I call them all they see is the nice surge as they cycle on and off.

Gorgonian i have is in heaven.

They are as you can see from the ETM page very well designed and really are unobtrusive.

No they won't eat fish or snails... fish wont go near them even rock sitters like flame hawks and gobies.. the natural soft start also gives them AMPLE time to bugger off to a new rock in the tank.

So high output, non directional flow (ie no shear force here folks), silent, low power, built in speed control, works on existing wave makers., no power cord in tank, elegant design.

What more could you want? No I wont comment on price ( I don't nor do any other beta testers know the final price so please dont ask)... as with anything you get what you pay for.

im pretty sure i will be grabbing one when they come out. it sounds fully controlable and you can dial it down to 30%. i also like the fact you can get a battery backup for it that will run the pump for 24 hours. also they are building a wireless controller for them later.

videos here
http://www.icecapinc.com/video.htm

Willow
02-22-2006, 08:48 AM
in case you don’t want to read the whole thread this is official from the manufacturer.

The official Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the VorTech MP40 is $345.00. This price is a maximum suggested retail price; we do not impose price minimums. Price will vary from vendor to vendor.

Product will be available in limited quantities from specific vendors sometime in March, 06. Larger quantities will be available in April.

The product consumes between 35 and 40 watts of energy at its highest output, some pumps will operate at higher wattage during break in. Our lab tested flow rate is 3100 gph. During the development of this product we benchmarked it against several other products using a standard procedure to measure the flow rate of the pump. We found that some of our competitors were not hitting their claimed flow rate. The VorTech provides ~25% more flow then the performance we measured from our closest competitor, and does this at 10% less wattage, amounting to a product which is overall ~30% more efficient. Additionally, flow is capable of being turned down to approximately several hundred gallons per hour. This product is capable of being used on tanks as small as 20 gallons. How do we know? EcoTech Marine has been running it on a 29 gallon system for months.

We realize that manufacturers’ statements only mean so much to many of you. Third party testing is in process and will be published in the near future.

We sincerely appreciate all of the interest in this product and are looking forward to the coming months.

Best Regards,

Tim

christyf5
02-22-2006, 05:00 PM
I read a thread on RC/RDO late last year on this, pretty damned impressive I must say. I guess they unveiled it at one of the reef conferences (IMAC or MACNA or something like that). I was thinking about getting one of the Tunzes with the controller but I think I'll wait to see if these ones are comparable in price. I sure do like battery backup idea as well. :biggrin:

Ruth
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Well I just know I am going to have to try a couple of these babies. Anyone know which Canadian retailers are going to be carrying them?:biggrin:

Andy
02-23-2006, 01:35 AM
I believe Xenia will be carrying them Ruth.

Ruth
02-23-2006, 01:41 AM
As in Willow's Xenia or is this a retailer I have not heard about? I would like to try these in my cube.

mr_alberta
02-23-2006, 01:48 AM
Xenia North America? The Giesemann distributor of Canada?

Ruth
02-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Do they have a web page? Link?

Andy
02-23-2006, 02:00 AM
http://www.giesemannlicht.com/page.php?page=home

Jason McK
02-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Champion Lighting already has them for pre order

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=21490&cat=0&page=1

untamed
02-25-2006, 04:41 AM
I'll be getting 2 of them...but my timeline is such that I'm able to wait until they are actually available. It's brutal planning a tank that you know won't have anything in it until Oct or November at best.

untamed
02-25-2006, 04:52 AM
Ecotech Marine has released an MSRP on the pump. I'm sure that is new...

$345 USD. http://www.ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech.htm

Ruth
04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
These are apparently available in the US now. Has anyone seen any in Canada? I would like to give one a whirl.

j83
04-09-2006, 07:48 PM
You can pre-order them from Marine Depot as well.

kari
06-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Is anyone running this pump? If not I'll be forced to buy one.

EmilyB
06-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Marine Depot I know won't ship USPS. Premium Aquatics also has them in, and they do ship USPS.

support@proline
06-24-2006, 06:06 PM
We are the exclusive distributor of Vortech in Canada,our first batch should be here next week or the week after.(per Icecap)
They are still low in supply & also the new pumps have been changed a bit.
That was done based on the feed back of the consumer,the shaft is made out of a different material now ,which is a lot more durable.
They are great pumps & the controller is being developed for it as we speak.
It will be available only @ select stores ,I will keep you posted as I know more.
If you have any questions please send me PM ,or email @
support@prolineaquatics.com

Jaws
06-26-2006, 07:46 AM
I've got two in the mail from Marine Depot. They should be here in a couple weeks. I preordered them months ago. I'll post once they're set up.

EmilyB
06-26-2006, 08:22 AM
They are mailing them to you? :biggrin:

The only options on their site are UPS or Fedex, I have contacted them before wanting them to ship postal, they always said they would pass that idea along but couldn't.

Willow
06-26-2006, 03:20 PM
They are mailing them to you? :biggrin:

The only options on their site are UPS or Fedex, I have contacted them before wanting them to ship postal, they always said they would pass that idea along but couldn't.

you will get a better price ordering from premium aquatics than ordering from a canadian dealer. they will ship usps as well.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ICE-VORTECH&Category_Code=Eco

FragFactory
06-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Premium Aquatics is great... I have dealt with them many times.

Mike

kari
09-07-2006, 07:34 PM
If other Vortech pump users are having difficulties with the wetside gasket/propeller housing rotating there is a fix available. Received my part today but can't try it until a pair of water friendly arms are available to install it. Very speedy replies and action from Ecotech -thanks:smile:

The pump puts out a super wide flow pattern and volume is adjustable from next to nothing to brittle stars flying around everywhere.

support@proline
09-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Kari
Thank you for update
All those problems been fixed ,we receive our first batch of new & improved model mid next week ,so it should be @ the stores by 3rd week of the month
New casings ,new shafts made out of a different material & cover for magnets are some of the great improvements.
Also the back up battery for the units should be out soon @ very resonable price.
It will run your pump@ half of the speed for 36 hours,so we can worry less about all these poweroutages
Regards Proline

Quagmire
09-08-2006, 01:31 AM
It will run your pump@ half of the speed for 36 hours,so we can worry less about all these poweroutages
Regards Proline
These would be great for ppl moving,or bringing frags from one city to another.Bring a tankfull to a frag party :)

support@proline
09-08-2006, 03:37 AM
Quagmire
thumbs up on creative thinking my friend:lol: :lol: