PDA

View Full Version : Designing a 120

Reefhawk1
02-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Hi folks

I am in the process, slow process of designing my 120 gallon tank. I have ordered my glass drilling bits and I am going to attempt to make swiss cheese out of it.

I have a few of questions

I want to make a strong current in the tank, what is the best way to achieve maximum flow ?

I am going to use a center overflow system How many 1.5 inch drain holes should I drill?

What are you using for high flow return pumps? any recommendations?

Thanks

Ruth
02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
For my 190g closed loop I use a Sequence Hammerhead pump and run it through an Ocean Motions 4 way. Coming out of the OM I then split each return 2 times for a total of 8 returns. This delivers, IMO, very nice random flow patterns. I use version 3 of the OM valve. In addition to this I use 2 X Tunze 6200 on a controller but admit that it is a bit of overkill so I do dial these back to probably 75%. HTH

mr_alberta
02-22-2006, 02:37 PM
You don't want a high flow return pump as you will have a lot of noise issues with water splashing down the standpipe and through the sump.

Ideally you want a smaller return and larger pumps on closed loops or some high flow powerheads (Tunze or Seio).

TheReefGeek
02-22-2006, 03:23 PM
I run a Sequence Barracuda on a closed loop on my 180, the Dart would probably be enough flow for you.

I run a manifold, I have 1" PVC all around my tank, then I have 7 t's that go down to 1/2" threaded, and have 1/2" locline coming off the t's. This is not random flow other than pointing some of the outlets towards eachother, but it is very adjustable to whatever I want. When I feed and can see the currents this setup makes, it is amazing. Ocean motions 4way would be even better of course, but pricey.

So you will need 1, 1.5" intake for the closed loop pump, then however many holes you want for returning the water.

For the drain holes, I would use the closed loop for the majority of circulation (or 2 large powerheds - Seio/Tunze streams) then the sump return would be fairly weak, say a mag 7 or 9. I would still drill 2 x 1.5" drains and put durso standpipes in them, this way 1 drain can fail/clog, and the other will still operate for you. The return line size, 1" is good enough if you use a weaker pump as I suggested.

Have you made sure you can drill the bottom glass for your center overflow?

vanreefer
02-22-2006, 06:32 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/vanreefer/plumbingfinal.jpg
My design... advice when drilling through glass... make sure the chuck of the drill doesn't smash into the back of the tank when you are drilling... then make sure the place that cuts the replacement piece of glass cuts it to the correct dimensions or it will be 2 months since you got the tank and it still only has 3 sides GRRRRRRRRRR

TheReefGeek
02-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Dano, got any larger images than that one?

Reefhawk1
02-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Do any of you know of a website where I can find some info on closed loop systems?

vanreefer
02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Dano, got any larger images than that one?
Don't know how to resize it but by email for sure

mr_alberta
02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
What do you need to know about them Stan? I'm sure someone here can help you out. I have two closed loops on my system, each powered by its own Sequence Dart. For my return, I have a much smaller pump, a Gen-X Mak 4. So far noise isn't too bad. The loudest pump is my Sedra 9000 on my skimmer, and that's mostly vibrational noise.

vanreefer
02-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Do any of you know of a website where I can find some info on closed loop systems?

What do you want to know?... Lots of us have them

TheReefGeek
02-23-2006, 12:03 AM
This website! :mrgreen:

What would you like to know?

Reefhawk1
02-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Well what I need to know is how to plumb it in. I guess I am not visualizing it and need to see it. Is the back side of your tanks drilled along with the bottom? Could you post some pics :mrgreen:

PS Thanks for your assistance Guy's

TheReefGeek
02-23-2006, 05:50 AM
You can drill the closed loop in wherever you want, including the bottom.

I have seen some pictures of tank with it done through the bottom, with about 4 returns throught the bottom in different locations, then covered them with piles of rock to hide everything, so all you could see was a nozzle if you looked closely.

It depends on where your pump will be too.

Lots have the drain (into the pump) in the middle bottom of the back glass, then a t-d off return to the sides of the tank. Or you can run a manifold (PVC rimming the tank with multiple t's and nozzles) Some t of the returns twice so there are 4, returns to distribute water flow better.

My manifold has 7 nozzles of 1/2" loc line running off a 1" manifold. But my tank is not drilled for a closed loop, so my intake is a 1.5" pipe capped with many holes in it.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas, we would need to know more (where is the pump, is this in a fish room our out in the open, etc.) to give more specific advise.

Ruth
02-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Here is a link to a thread that Mike O'Brien had going on Reef Frontiers. He put together the design for my closed loop but it also has some really good plumbing advise.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8922&page=5

Don't know if this is going to be a double post as I couldn't find my original reply.

vanreefer
02-23-2006, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=vanreefer
My design... advice when drilling through glass... make sure the chuck of the drill doesn't smash into the back of the tank when you are drilling... then make sure the place that cuts the replacement piece of glass cuts it to the correct dimensions or it will be 2 months since you got the tank and it still only has 3 sides GRRRRRRRRRR[/QUOTE]

Don't know if you can make it out http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4577&cat=500
The drain is a 1 1/2" bulkhead on the bottom of the tank the pump is mounted on the underside of the tank and it returns to the tank via the manifold on the back which has 1 1/2 split into 4 x 1" with ball valves to balance the flow

if you want to pm me your email addy I could send you the image in a larger format

Reefhawk1
02-24-2006, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the replies once again :mrgreen: I will check out the links you have posted.