PDA

View Full Version : tank with no center brace

StirCrazy
12-10-2001, 09:47 PM
how much extra do you usaly pay for a tank to get it with out a center brace. like if I wanted a 50 gal tankwould it be a insain amount to get it with out a brace? or for that matter a 65 gal. (anyone have any contacts with sea star and get good deals?)

Steve

reefburnaby
12-11-2001, 01:25 AM
Hi,

I believe Hagen tanks don't have any bracing on their 4 foor tanks. A little bit more expensive than Seastar (maybe %15), but IMHO their tanks are better built. I can't remember if Perfecto has a brace or not (visit Big Als).

For tanks that have bracing already, I have read that people just move the brace off-centre and add another one on the other side-- in other words, they have two small braces instead of one big one.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

Troy F
12-11-2001, 01:33 AM
Steve, Victor is correct about Hagen tanks not having the center brace. If you were ordering a tank from a local manufacturer, ie. Seastar, I think it only costs about $15-$25 more for euro/perimeter bracing. I kind of wish I'd gone with euro-bracing.

Silverfish
12-11-2001, 02:49 AM
Hi Steve, last time I was at J&L I thought that I saw a 50g (36"x18"x18"..?) for $158 if I remember correctly. They had one with center bracing and one with perimeter and they were really close in price.. if not the same price. don't quote me on this tho.. maybe call Allan or John and find out what they say. Also, Adam (One Divided) just got his from Safari.. 50g with perimeter bracing and drilled.. sweet tank! images/smiles/icon_wink.gif I hope he sets it up soon.

Bruce

btw, is that 60g you are talking about the one that was sitting at Hillside Aquatics?

DJ88
12-11-2001, 02:52 AM
There shouldn't be to much of a difference. If someone in Vic tells you that, they are full of it. My 120 has perimeter. Best thing ever I say. Tho it will be tricky to mount sea swirls.. As well as getting into overflows underneath the bracing. Still it's worth the work.

StirCrazy
12-11-2001, 02:57 AM
Ya Bruce it was the one at Hillside, it is a 65 gal 36"x18"x24" but I am starting to think that is isn't going to work for me.. I don't like the bulkheads on the bottom idea as much as on the back, and I don't think I want it that tall.. I think a 50 would be perfect...now that I think about it some more...

Steve

Silverfish
12-11-2001, 03:24 AM
Steve, my tank is a 60g (or maybe 55g..I don't know) 36"x18"x21" tall..it is about 16" from the top of the sand to the water level. No bracing at all, it is an Oceanic. I got it used, nice quality tho.
You should come over to the open house on Sunday and check it out! You too Darren! It's only a quick ride on the boat! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Anyone else can come too for that matter, sounds like it's gonna be a shaker as it is! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

btw, Steve, go for the new tank, it is still about the cheapest thing you will buy for your reef! Nice to have it made to order too images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Bruce

DJ88
12-11-2001, 03:31 AM
I'll be in Vic on sunday.. have to spend a few days there doing my release medicals and redoing all the stuff I did before I left as the moronic clerks lost all my paperwork.

Gotta love it when you don't have to worry about accountability for your screw ups. The guy whos stuff you lost or messed up is.. @#@**&@$^*@$ military.. images/smiles/icon_mad.gif images/smiles/icon_mad.gif images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

titus
12-11-2001, 04:15 AM
Hey Darren

I was talking to the Americans and they were frustrated with the lost paperwork as well.

ldzielak
12-11-2001, 11:09 AM
Steve,

How much was the 65 going for? Was it new? I'm going to setup a FO after the holidays, and would like something bigger than the old Hagen 33 I have kicking arround.

I assume this is the same tank with the return line in the center you talked about on the earlier post?

Aquattro
12-11-2001, 03:00 PM
Lee, I heard the tank was sold to someone for $250. They hadn't paid for though and if they don't after a week, it is still for sale. Try calling them and talking to Cora. The tank belongs to her personally. I'm going there at lunch to pick up a mantis, so I can ask her about it also.

StirCrazy
12-11-2001, 08:40 PM
Ok Lee it was me that it was being held for.. it has never been used and is drilled on the bottom.. it is a 65 gal 36 x 18 x 24 I told Cora today to go ahead and sell it to anyone else who wants it so call hillside and make a deal on it.

Steve

ldzielak
12-12-2001, 01:34 AM
Thanks guys, but I payed that much for my 120g, plus $50 for the 4 holes. Unless I get something for $100 or less, I will probably just use my 33g. A guy up in Campbell River may have an old Acrylic that I'm interested in.

Axial Corillite
12-12-2001, 02:57 AM
Hay lee the 60g @ hillside is an old tank. Phone hillside and make Cora an offer
She would probably take it.It’s in the way.You didnt hear that from me. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Brad how's my horny mantis?

ldzielak
12-13-2001, 02:51 AM
Thanks Mike, I'm thinking of taking some time off next week, maybe I make it down and check out Hillside.