PDA

View Full Version : gluing acrylic?

RobbAdams
02-20-2006, 07:15 PM
can i use Krazy glue?

I am just building a surface skimmer box for my remora.(does not really have to be pressue rated)

is there another glue available at canadian tire or home depot that would be better.

Robb

soriano
02-20-2006, 07:40 PM
probably will be ok. From the posts I've read, it's non-toxic so it should be safe. As far as strength goes, if a guy can hang from his hard hat from a I-beam it should be fine...lol

Aquaholic
02-20-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure if it will do it to acrilic but i would be careful i have had plastics melt when the superglue touched it, taet it first would be the best thing i guess.

TheReefGeek
02-20-2006, 11:56 PM
You want to use weld-on preferably. This will bond/melt the acrylic together for you.

Black Phantom
02-21-2006, 02:03 AM
If you use Super Glue the first time you put any pressure on the joint it will probably break. Use Weld On #3 or #4. This will give you a secure joint and will not fracture.
The #4 is a bit slower and will give you time to work where as the #3 sets up pretty quick.
Use the pin method to set your joints and you should be fine.

mr_alberta
02-21-2006, 02:48 AM
I agree with Black Phantom. Also, if you don't have the tools to clean up and square your edges well, you may want to try WeldOn 16. It doesn't make the nicest looking seam, but it is a bit easier to work with as it is thicker (syrup like).

hockey nut
02-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Try using Methylene chloride. Cheap and easy to use. Buy a small aplicator as well. For my sumps and fuges etc I bond them together with that stuff and then use Weld On 40 for reinforcement and seem strength.

For your aplication Methylene Chloride would be more than enough.

HTH

Funky_Fish14
02-21-2006, 08:18 AM
If you use Super Glue the first time you put any pressure on the joint it will probably break. Use Weld On #3 or #4. This will give you a secure joint and will not fracture.
The #4 is a bit slower and will give you time to work where as the #3 sets up pretty quick.
Use the pin method to set your joints and you should be fine.

Any Idea why it is that they crack like that? I have noticed this twice.

Thanks!

Chris

hockey nut
02-22-2006, 07:17 AM
crazy glue just holds it together it doesn't melt or bond the pcs of acrylic together like the above mentioned products where as they make the joint stronger. There might be a compound in crazy glue that may make it brittle too. Not sure though. I use crazy glue gel for attaching frags etc and it does quite well even in water but not on some plastics I guess.