PDA

View Full Version : Is This Cyano?

Johnny Reefer
02-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Hey all,
Is this cyano?
I didn't think cyano was wispy and threadlike like this, but rather, a sort of velvet like blanket. This is why I ask.
It does have the right colour, however, doesn't it?
There are also two patches in the back of the tank, on the sandbed.
Man!:rolleyes:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/1Johnny2Reefer3/CyanoMaybe.jpg

Thanx much and cheers,:sad::smile:

exee
02-20-2006, 03:36 AM
it does look like cyano to me... but i've never seen it like that ether... have you tried sucking some of it out with a turkey baster?

scub steve
02-20-2006, 03:41 AM
yup looks like the stuff i had real paid to get rid of if your not attached to that rock pull it out and scub it off good and test your water

Johnny Reefer
02-20-2006, 03:47 AM
it does look like cyano to me... but i've never seen it like that ether... have you tried sucking some of it out with a turkey baster? Just tried it now. Ya, that sucks it up but it's hard to get it all. I fear I'm just spreading it around. Given that I have the other two patches, I may go the Erythromycin treatment route. I'll test the water tomorrow. I don't see how my nutrients could be high. Relatively new tank, low bio-load, feed sparingly. Huh.
Crap! I don't have time for this right now!:bad-word:

Cheers,:smile:

adidas
02-20-2006, 03:57 AM
good luck! Cyano is a PITA

Funky_Fish14
02-20-2006, 04:19 AM
Relatively new tank,

There ya go, thats sometimes a reason it shows up. Even though your tank may be the cleanest tank, the fact that its new might bring it in. I've never started a tank without cyano showing up for a bit.

It does look like cyano to me. It can vary a little, i've had it like that before. If thats not cyano, it looks and acts just like it.

Chris

Ruth
02-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Mark unfortunately that looks like cyano to me as well. I have battled it a couple of times in the past *knocking furiously on head*. I have found that it seems to consume and thrive on PO4 and because it consumes it your tests will still come out at normal. If you are feeding a lot of flake food, or frozen mysis/brine shrimp these tend to be very high in PO4. You may want to make sure that if you aren't already any frozen food be well rinsed with RODI water before it is feed to your tank and maybe cut right back on flake food. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Johnny Reefer
02-20-2006, 12:26 PM
There ya go, thats sometimes a reason it shows up. Even though your tank may be the cleanest tank, the fact that its new might bring it in. Yes, this is what I suspect to. The tank setup is sorta new but it sorta isn't either. Had a 135 setup that I switched out for a 180g. 80% of the LR and sand in the 180 is from the previous 135. Been up and running for close to 3 months now. It never really went through a full blown new tank syndrome cycle. Brown algae was minimal and green algae, although present now in acceptable levels, did not "flourish" and then recede. The lack of a full blown new tank syndrome cycle is enough for me to be not so sure.
But regardless, it's there and needs to be dealt with before it gets too bad.
I'll test the water tonight after my 12 hour work shift today.
(Cry me a river:lol:).

Ruth: I feed Formula 1 & 2 pellets. They also get cyclopeeze and rotifers. Usually when I'm not working I feed them frozen cyclopeeze and frozen rotifers. When I am working they still get the Formula 1 & 2, but I switch to freeze dried cyclopeeze and hold of on the rotifers. (It's easier). Any other frozen feedings are rare. I might feed them frozen mysis maybe once a month or so.

Oh ya....and DT's phytoplankton. I feed 3 doses/week for a total of about 80 to 120 mls of that per week. Maybe this is too much?

Thanx all for the advice and cheers,:smile:

Ruth
02-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I think the real challenge is to find out where the nutrients that are fueling it are coming from in order to deal with it.
I have read that sometimes phosphates can build up over time in LR so you may want to pull out a rock, soak it in tank water swishing around really good and then test that water for phosphates. Same for the pellets, maybe soak in some tank water overnight (or while you are working that 12 hour shift) and then test that water. Also try taking a sample from really close to your sand bed, maybe after it has been stirred up a little. OTOH it could be that when you transferred everything enough PO4 was released into the system to fuel your small outbreak and it will be fine with continued water changes.

MobyDick
02-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Looks like cyano to me as well.....I have a 20 gal nano that has a couple little spots of the stuff..But my green on green zoo's seem to grow the stuff them selves and keep it contained...STRANGE...:s

Myanth
02-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I had a big problem in my 10 gallon once upon a time. Was using the DT's as well. I stopped and it went away, with some work. sucking it out with a small hose when doing water changes and shutting off water flow and using a stiff bottle bruch to wrap it up. (kind of like you would wrap spagetti around a fork). I have been told that it is full of PO4 - fertilizer for hiar algeas and cyano. I guess they put it in to prolong the life of the phyto.

Could be your issue. How old is the stuff?

Mike

Swags
02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Mark,
Yes, I would say that is a form of cyno. I have been battling it on and off for the past 7 years here in Victoria. I am one of those that beleives it is in our water table, and RO/DI does help, but does not eliminate it. I would strongly recomend not using anti biotics in your tank, yes they say it is safe, but from my experience, it does have a chance of killing all livestock, and it has in my case. Chemi-clean is my choice now, it has never harmed any of my corals/fich/invertebrates, easy to use, PUT AN AIRSTONE IN WATER, remove carbon, its all good, and the cyno is dead within 48 hours. Make sure to give a substantial water change of about 30% after day 3. I know that some people have had issues with it, and I can see why, it is a heavy duty oxidizer from what I understand. I have kept aquariums for over 30 years, and cyno has been my PITA ever since the city increased our resevoir size. About the only thing I have not tried is a UV sterilizer. FWIW, it only shows its ugly head in mid/late winter, further strengthening my belief its in our water table. Whichever method you choose, good luck, and may the force be with you!:wink:
Phil

Johnny Reefer
02-21-2006, 04:15 AM
Well...tested the water.
Time of tests between 7:45 and 8:45 PM.

Temp. 77.0 F
SG 1.025
pH 8.28
Alk 8.4 dKH
NH3 undetectable
NO2 undetectable
NO3 < 5 mg/l
PO4 undetectable
Ca 245 mg/l
Mg 1035 mg/l

All checks out good. Huh.

Ruth: Doesn't look like phosphates, but thanx.

Myanth: The DT's I'm using now is good 'till March 15/06. I just finished a bottle at the end of January that had expired Jan. 1st, so hmmm....possibly. It didn't smell bad, however, so I thought I'd stretch it out. Maybe not such a good idea. Good point.

Swags: Interesting post. Unfortunately RO/DI isn't an option now, but will be definitely looking at that when it is an option. (I rent now and can't really mess with plumbing that isn't mine). I might just get a DOM test kit and test the tapwater.

I think I'll just hold off on making any rash decisions for a few days and monitor the situation. It looks to me like a new tank syndrome break out, or...like Swags suggests....the tapwater. I should at least do a water change in the meantime, I'm thinkin'. I'll prepare some changewater tomorrow and do a 10% change on Wed.

But now it's bedtime and up and at 'em at 4:20 again tomorrow. Yahoo.:lol:

Thanx much, folks, and cheers,:smile:

Funky_Fish14
02-21-2006, 05:10 AM
I have found that it seems to consume and thrive on PO4 and because it consumes it your tests will still come out at normal.

As Ruth stated, this may be the reason why you had undetectable PO4.

I've also read some interesting papers suggesting PO4 building up in the rocks, so you may want to try Ruth's suggestion of soaking one in a bucket, swishing it around alot, then testing the water.

I've seen cyano show up quite late in upgrades aswell. Whether it has been a new tank, or an upgrade to a larger system from smaller mature systems, I've always had it show up sooner or later.

Good luck getting rid of it! Im sure it will go as it came, mine has always done so after a couple months of battling it.

Chris

StirCrazy
02-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Ruth: Doesn't look like phosphates, but thanx.

remember you canot test for organic PO4 with a test kit only inorganic PO4, so you could have a organic PO4 level through the roof and not know it.

Swags: Interesting post. Unfortunately RO/DI isn't an option now, but will be definitely looking at that when it is an option. (I rent now and can't really mess with plumbing that isn't mine). I might just get a DOM test kit and test the tapwater.

there are tap adapters you can get (mine came with one originaly) by using this there is no screwing with the plumbing at all.

Steve

Funky_Fish14
02-21-2006, 06:36 PM
In regards to those tap addapters, they only cost about 5 or 10 bucks too!

Chris

Willow
02-21-2006, 06:50 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/rounits/accessories/faucet.jpg
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/rounits.php?product_ID=ro-kpfaus