PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia Stings

Myanth
02-19-2006, 11:31 PM
I have got the ich problem in my tank under control and am not going to begin a battle with aptasia. I have one that grabs hold of anything that I feed the tank and is getting bigger now that I have started calcium dosing. I have found four small ones coming, all directly downstream from the large one. I will get a syringe and try injecting with vinegar or high calcium. I have heard bad things about Joe's Juice as far as spreading them out.

My question is... my powder brown is looking better from it's ich, white spots are minimal but it is getting red spots on its sides. It seems that the right side is worse which is the one that would be against the big aptasia when sitting in the current from one outlet, which I have seen it do. I was just wondering if these are irritation marks from all the cleaner shrimp activity or if the aptasia is stinging it.

Thanks
Mike

EmilyB
02-20-2006, 05:56 AM
Mike, I doubt very much it is either of those things. Fish severely attacked by ick often get a secondary bacterial infection. I haven't had to deal with this so hopefully the disease experts can chime in.

Snappy
02-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Mike, I doubt very much it is either of those things. Fish severely attacked by ick often get a secondary bacterial infection. I haven't had to deal with this so hopefully the disease experts can chime in.
I'm no expert but I agree that this scenario is more likely than the stings.
However that said, sometimes weird things happen in the night, I have a blue tang that was in perfect shape and the next morning looked like it either went 20 rounds with George Foreman or spent the night in one of his 'grills'. The sores on it's side healed up but the chunk missing from it's tail never did grow back. Is it possible you might have a preditor in the tank hiding somewhere? They will often attack a fish in an already weakened condition.
Just a thought.

Myanth
02-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Could be... the rock is mostly new and I have seen many pieces of fins missing. I say my Coral Banded Shrimp grabbing a few fish so I thought he was the culprit, The tang looked fine last night and this morning has the little red spots again. Swimming and eating fine. I'll keep an eye on it.