PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we get shiznit like this???

dirtyreefer
02-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Here's a couple posts by the Ontario store Reef Raft from the Aquariumpros.ca forum. They just received this wild stuff in this week:

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18523

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18552

Why can't our suppliers get this kind of stuff regularly like they do? I see wild rainbow montis, superman danaes, torts etc. OA gets this stuff once in a blue moon, but ReefRaft seems to get this in almost every month :(

Funky_Fish14
02-19-2006, 05:54 AM
I get the email updates for their shipments, and they get awesome shipments about every two weeks...

It is unfortunate places in the west dont get that kind of stuff in more often. RR seem to have some good suppliers down south.

Chris

mr_alberta
02-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Reef Raft does ship orders......

Funky_Fish14
02-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Yes, but I think were trying to get at the fact that we dont have local acess to things like this at any time? We are not able to set out the door and drive a couple minutes to go to a store with prices like theirs and pick up incredible pieces, we have to get things shipped to us...?

Thats my view anyways. Im just not keen on spending 4 corals worth of money to get 2 shipped where I still have to drive half an hour to pick them up.

Just my 2 cents...

Chris

mr_alberta
02-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Yes, but I think were trying to get at the fact that we dont have local acess to things like this at any time? We are not able to set out the door and drive a couple minutes to go to a store with prices like theirs and pick up incredible pieces, we have to get things shipped to us...?

Thats my view anyways. Im just not keen on spending 4 corals worth of money to get 2 shipped where I still have to drive half an hour to pick them up.

Just my 2 cents...

Chris

Trust me Chris, shipping would be less than the cost of 1 or those corals...

MobyDick
02-19-2006, 03:53 PM
At least you folk out in the wast can get sps none the less!Out here in sask at the LFS they want 90$ for finger size frags:(

Joe Reefer
02-19-2006, 04:06 PM
At least you folk out in the wast can get sps none the less!Out here in sask at the LFS they want 90$ for finger size frags:(

Its no different here.:sad:

digital-audiophile
02-19-2006, 04:11 PM
We seem to be getting alot of nice stuff into Calgary, similar to what I saw on the site you posted.

What makes me sick is when I go to american sites like platinum reef and fraggle reef and see the min blowing corals they have down there :(

MobyDick
02-19-2006, 04:14 PM
The clams are 90$ for 3-5" crocea...And the LFS only just started to bring in the sps .There's 2 store's in the whole city that sell coral...And the one with 90$ finger sized frag's only has 2.....:Ppfff what's that?

Ruth
02-19-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't know guys I have seen quite a few sweet pieces at OA and there are often very nice pieces for sale on this site. I have bought from Jamie, Andy and Willito and they have some incredible corals - and they ship!
Those are nice corals but I don't agree that we don't get some pretty nice stuff available out here too.
And to all you guys that are willing to ship - THANK YOU. Those of us like Moby and myself and quite a few others really have no choice - we have to find either a hobbiest or a retailer that will ship. I know that it is extra work and just want to say how much I and I'm sure others appreciate it. For me to drive to a decent LFS, which is Vancouver it is a 17hr drive - one way!

dirtyreefer
02-19-2006, 04:39 PM
It is nice that these hobbyists or retail stores ship (I purchased stuff from ReefRaft before), but I also would like to see the actual piece before forking 100 bones on it. For pieces like "signature corals", well that's different cos you pretty much know what you're going to get, but wild shipments is where you want to be able to see for yourself what you are actually getting.

OA does get some nice stuff in, but it's not near as frequent as the Ontario stores. I guess the market is just bigger there, and suppliers would rather ship to the "big fish" (no pun intended).

Funky_Fish14
02-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Trust me Chris, shipping would be less than the cost of 1 or those corals...

Ahh, well I guess it depends on the piece. I've seen some darned nice pieces there going for some really great prices.

I cant deny I have picked up nice pieces here or had some beauties shipped here on group orders(Thanks Jamie!), but it would be real nice to have the convenience of a location like RR around.

Chris

Kabong
02-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah Its got to be nice to be able to go into your LFS and browse a selection like that.
J&L and OA are within day trip distance but with the $200 ferry ride it makes them so close yet so far away.

Myanth
02-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Fish are cool, corals are cooler, but dirtyreefer... That avatar is the coolest.

Mike