PDA

View Full Version : Joes Juice

Gizmo
02-19-2006, 01:19 AM
What a sham!
This product does not work.
I have had to juice the same damn apitasia 4 times now, it shrivles up for about 3 weeks and then its back with a vengence, getting bigger every time. I follow the instructions to the tee, and yet no results of a dead apitasia, just dead zoos.

Product NOT RECOMMENDED.

wirehead
02-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Hey Gizmo... Sorry to hear that about your dealings with "the juice", but I have found it to be an awesome product...I just wish the peppermint shrimp I got to deal with the plague of aptasia in a "natural" way would get off their collective butts and start chowing down...

kellehar
02-19-2006, 02:13 AM
we tried joes juice once, and the apitasia came back 3 times worse, and also killed one of the bubble tips we had. after that we gave it away and have now tried vinegar which seems to work.

Griffin
02-19-2006, 05:45 AM
vinegar and a needle works great IMO :) Just don't overdue it at one time - it can affect your PH

Rich

Funky_Fish14
02-19-2006, 05:58 AM
JJ and anything else I have tried thus far has not worked. The only tried and true method for me so far is manual removal and digging it out. I have never tried the vinegar, will have to try that.

Chris

Ruth
02-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Maybe I just got a good batch but it has worked quite well for me. I find you just have to sneak up on them and make sure they actually ingest it. My peppermint in my 44 cube eliminates all in that tank but in my 230 I have tried to get peppermint in there but my CBS keep killing them so JJ it is.

Psyire
02-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Kalk paste works good, just be careful what you get it on.

Joe Reefer
02-19-2006, 03:50 PM
In the past Joe's Juice has worked for me. As long as you actually feed the aptasia it they are goners.

Funky_Fish14
02-19-2006, 06:21 PM
I have watched aiptasia injest it directly and it just annoys them for a couple weeks and they shrivel up shortly. The pepermints I have tried have never had any interest in aiptasia. JJ is pretty much a kalk paste, and the kalk paste I tried didnt work either? Ohh well, onto the vinegar, lol.

Chris

Gizmo
02-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Im ready to take the rock out and torch the spot with the bloody thing. Wont grow back after that I guarentee

Black Phantom
02-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Ruth has it pegged.
Don't blast the Aip with Joes as it will withdraw before it eats any.
Slllllllooooooowwwwwllllyyyyy drip Joes onto it and let it start to feed. By the time it realizes the juice is bad it's too late.:twised:

geopod
02-21-2006, 09:31 PM
call me SMRT then cause it didnt work as soon as tey smelt it they were gone.I ended up injecting with a needle but they came back 4 days later again and again...peppermint shrimp dont eat them either...vinager didnt work from direct injection either..GIZMO you arent the only one....

george

lukep77
02-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Joes juice is a scam. Iam sure most of you have Turbo Calcium sitting around some where, just dump the joes juice out and pour in some calcium and mix with water. The stuff gets hot to the touch, just watch your eyes and skin. Blast the little b@#$%rds, and watch them melt.

geopod
02-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Luke,

You tried that and it worked good??? I just may try that tonight and see what happens.

george

Saltysteve
02-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Joes Juice works great on Majano, Aiptasia (sp?) still in there
PS
you can buy either of the two at my local fish store for 10 bucks :(

muck
02-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Joes Juice works great on Majano, Aiptasia (sp?) still in there
PS
you can buy either of the two at my local fish store for 10 bucks :(
so bring em in for store credit then.. :razz:

Saltysteve
02-23-2006, 08:54 PM
LMAO too funny!

bulletsworld
02-24-2006, 10:02 PM
I have tried Joe Juice several times as well. It always comes back and it seems to appear to me like it comes back worse. But I think I love the fun action of watching the Aptisa melt when ya put the Joe juice on.

Hey George,
I wonder if I gave ya Aptisa when I was boarding your stuff. I won't doubt it.

Hee hee Opps!

Lee

lukep77
02-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I tried joes juice several times and they came back worse. So I was talking to some one about what might be in joes juice and they mentioned calcium.
Then they mentioned hat calcium gets hot or reacts with fresh water. So I gave it a shot. Iam sure that joes juice is just calcium that is mxed with fresh water. Its just a weaker mixture of it.

Brandoser
04-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I agree, you need a perfect placement and it always seems to come back a few weeks later. I did nuke the larger ones into smaller ones and got a peppermint shrimp and now they are all gone......love that shrimp!

niloc16
04-15-2006, 08:32 AM
do you use just straight vinegar in the syringe?

saltaddict
04-17-2006, 07:26 AM
do you use just straight vinegar in the syringe?

I use normal white vinegar in a plastic syringe to kill aptasia. I'll only use 1CC of vinegar tops on the aptasia so to not throw out the water quality. Be sure to suck the aptasia up with the syringe after.

TheReefGeek
04-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Any had any success with a copper banded butterfly?

Palster
04-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Any had any success with a copper banded butterfly?
Some Cooperbands seem to eat Aiptasia and some don't. I had one that ate all of the Aiptasia in my tank over a several month period but after he ate all of the Aiptasia I was unable to get him to feed properly on live or frozen foods and he eventually perished (this seems to be a common problem). I have been told that the Cooperbands that are feeding well on live and prepared foods never really seem to feed on Aiptasia so it is kind of a tough call IMHO.

Now that I have the Aiptasia down to a manageable level thanks to the Copperband, who eventually perished. I am able to keep it under control with Joe's Juice but I can't say I have rid the tank completely.

JOEL
04-22-2006, 06:02 AM
joe's juice did not work for me so I went to the drug store and got a 30ml syringe and I use boiling hot ro/di water and shoot them two or three times and that seems to work for me.

doch
06-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Well, you're not going to believe this, but I actually did torch the buggers. I was moving my tank anyways, had the rock out, gave the aptasia a dirty look and happened to notice a lighter on the table.... so I torched 'em all. Now for the unbelievable part: They came back!!! ($^$(^@!#!*@^$(*^@!$^))!!!!!!!!! I just about LOST IT!!! JJ hasn't done anything for me except spread them. I heard the other day that the trick to JJ is to feed it to them, then siphon the dead animal out. This of course is after I bought 3 peppermint shrimp and a Copperband Butterfly.... no more aptasia. That said, I'm not sure who is eating it, the peps or the CBB, but 2 weeks ago there were more than 30 aptasia in my tank, now there is only 1 left... it seems that they just can't quite find that one for some reason. For the record, my CBB is eating frozen food as well... the only problem there is that his mouth doesn't open very wide, so I have to feed him smaller stuff. Well worth it to get rid of that junk though!!

Johnny Reefer
02-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Kalk paste works good, just be careful what you get it on.
How many parts water to kalk to make the paste?

Thanx much,

Quagmire
02-22-2007, 05:32 AM
How many parts water to kalk to make the paste?

Thanx much,

Just mix a bit of Kalk with enough water to make a paste,not too thick tho.If you drip Kalk,the stuff that settles on the bottom of the container works just as well.When I had to use it,I just sucked some up in a Salifert syringe and shot it into the correct area.On a couple I had to reapply a second time,but that was it.

Johnny Reefer
02-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Okay, thanx. I want to get it concentrated enough to do the job, but at the same time avoid plugging the syringe. I hate that.

Cheers,

rzadun
02-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I tried Joes Juice. The aptaisia kept coming back. I tried conc. Kalk paste same result. finally in desperation I introduced a queen angel to the tank. In a couple of weeks no more aptaisia. She ate them all. Problem is she picks at yellow polyps and they will not open. Also same with starburst. If I have aptaisia in other tanks I transfer the rock for a day or two to the queen angel tank and then they are gone and I move the rock back to its original tank.

andsoitgoes
02-22-2007, 04:05 PM
I've had luck with Joe's Juice and Peppermint shirimp - I guess I just got lucky :)

I kicked the big apistasia that was easily visible with the juice, and my shrimpies got the rest, haven't seen it come back in any of my tanks since. The nano has been free, save for one that was hiding, since I first got it...

Guess it's just that kind of stuff, works for some and not for others <Shrugs>