PDA

View Full Version : Baby Steps

Gizmo
02-19-2006, 01:00 AM
So I've been talking about that 2000G tank on my acerage for a while. The plans are complete, however still NO DAMN LAND! Anyway. The wife and I bought and are building a house in Spruce grove. I've gotten the AOK to put in a 240G which I'm working with AI to get made. I wanted to see what other equipment people would suggest I look at getting for this project. It will be an in-wall tank with a small closet behind to house equipment and keep the noise of niagra out of the rest of the house. Thanks!

Beverly
02-19-2006, 01:27 AM
Don't know anything about overflows or sumps, but can't a tank be set up without all the noise?

Bob I
02-19-2006, 03:01 AM
Of course it can. Maybe you and I could give some lessons on how to set up a reef tank without all those unnecessay noisy gadgets.:mrgreen:

Beverly
02-19-2006, 03:16 AM
But, boB, everybody wants a sump and all those gadgets :razz:

It's kind of funny how many people have come over to pick up this frag or that macroalgae and say how QUIET our place is with the three tanks (37g, 67g, 120g). The noisiest thing in our place is, well, me :razz:

Yeah, we're very low tech over here, but can't the high tech people figure out ways to make their tanks quiet? Not that I'm knocking high tech, or anything. Each person has their own idea of how they want their reefs to operate. Ours just happen to be low tech and lots of hands on, which may not be for everybody.

Are there reef gurus out there that have high tech reefs without the noise factor? If so, how does do you set up a reef and have it quiet without building an extra room?

Giz,

You will also have to consider the high humidity factor in your closed back room. There was one recent post about this important consideration, probably in the Reef forum.

Quagmire
02-19-2006, 03:21 AM
Just a thought,but since you are building the house.Have you thought about using Aqua board (same stuff that goes around the tub in the bathroom)for the walls in your back room?

mr_alberta
02-19-2006, 03:46 AM
A large, quiet "hi-tech" tank is actually not too too hard to achieve. If you want to keep noise down, run the water level in your overflow higher (so the water only drops down about an inch or less) and run a very low tunrover into your sump (5x or so), and get external, fanless pumps (Little Giant 3 series, Poiseden series, etc) and get some big SEIOs ot Tunzes for flow (if required). For a skimmer, run a needlewheel which are almost dead silent as well. If you run into heat issues, open some window :razz:

Also, I forgot to mention, plumb the majority of the system in Flex PVC or Vinyl hose as that flexes a little and takes away some of the vibrational noise.

If you do all those things, I bet that your tank would almost be 100% silent.

asherah
02-19-2006, 03:54 AM
My sump is noisy where the water drains into the trickle filter that I have filled with live rock.... but it was noisy when it had bio balls in it too...
I dont have a skimmer yet but I plan on getting one, and I want one of those wavemakers.
I'm getting off the subject. How do I make my sump quieter. It drains from the overflow hose into the trickle filter and there's a constant sound of water.
amanda

mr_alberta
02-19-2006, 04:05 AM
Lets not hijack Gizmo's thread. PM'd you with a possible solution.

My sump is noisy where the water drains into the trickle filter that I have filled with live rock.... but it was noisy when it had bio balls in it too...
I dont have a skimmer yet but I plan on getting one, and I want one of those wavemakers.
I'm getting off the subject. How do I make my sump quieter. It drains from the overflow hose into the trickle filter and there's a constant sound of water.
amanda

Beermaster
02-19-2006, 04:27 AM
The wife and I bought and are building a house in Spruce grove.

Welcome to the neighbourhood

adidas
02-19-2006, 04:49 AM
If you want a quiet setup, don't run a beckett skimmer lol

Ruth
02-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Red Dragon pumps = silent:mrgreen:

mr_alberta
02-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Red Dragon pumps = silent:mrgreen:

True, but at ~$1000/pump it can get pricey pretty quick :mrgreen:

Ruth
02-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Well not quite but your right at $599US they are pricey. The only one I have is on my BK skimmer and it is certainly dead silent and I believe are very good on power consumption as well - I just don't pay attention because really it is minimal savings when you are running a bunch of Halides.

Beverly
02-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Giz,

Was over on RC just now and ran across a post by Rich Durso. The name sounded familiar, so I clicked on his website icon and found something that may quiet your tank (with pics!) ....

http://www.rl180reef.com/180/pages/standpipe/open.htm

Gizmo
02-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Giz,

Was over on RC just now and ran across a post by Rich Durso. The name sounded familiar, so I clicked on his website icon and found something that may quiet your tank (with pics!) ....

http://www.rl180reef.com/180/pages/standpipe/open.htm

Thanks Bev,

I was planning on using a Standpipe, I use one now, but it doesn't stop the noise of the water crashing into the sump :D (I've come up with some ideas on how to quiet it down) But the main reason for a backroom is astetics(sp?) I have a ASM G3 skimmer, and all those "cool gadgets" to go with :D

I do plan on aquaboarding the whole room and sealing it afterwards as well. I have a dehumidifier and heater/ac unit for the room. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

Thanks beermaster, I really look forward to living in a quiet city.

Gizmo
02-24-2006, 04:55 AM
I talked with Brian over at AI tonight and we laid out the specs on the tank:
280G 72x30x30 Main Tank
Euro Bracing
2 overflows in the corners in black plexi
4 returns 2 at the top and 2 half way down
2 drains 2" w/standpipes
90G Sump with trickle filter (to start) with inline pump.
Steel Stand @ 48"

Just thought I would share.

TheReefGeek
02-24-2006, 05:06 AM
Why a trickle filter?

I would use a single overflow with two 1.5" durso standpipe drains and one 1" return. Then just pump 800g/hr or so through the sump/return pump. This way you have a backup drain in case one fails. This would free up space of not have two overflows as well. Then drill the tank for a closed loop, and use a big ass pump of your choice for your main flow. Dont try to do too much flow through your sump/overflows, you will get excess noise and microbubbles.

If it is behind a wall, might want to look into a return manifold, I am happy with mine, I run 7, 1/2" nozzles off a 4500gph pump, gives me all the flow I need, and with loc-line I can adjust the flow easily to adapt to coral growth or new corals.

Willow
02-24-2006, 05:30 AM
you realize that 2 returns halfway down will flood your sump unless you use check valves hey? and check valves suck. im also not clear on why use a trickle filter? i would kill the trickle filter and dump into a micro sock > skimmer > fuge > return. also any plans on a ocean motion and a closed loop?

TheReefGeek
02-24-2006, 02:19 PM
If you still go with the returns, use two check valves, in case one fails you dont want to have a flood. If possible use a closed loop and avoid that problem all together.

jgoldsney
03-02-2006, 07:55 PM
For a Custom Tank if you can provide very detailed drawings Aquagiant makes a nice product...Just make sure that your drawings are very detailed.

mark
03-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Not sure of your planning but hope the mid level returns are for a CL, (dangerous for a sump, unless it's huge).

Also if having a CL might want to consider some flow from the front bottom.

Eitherway, drill lots of holes.