PDA

View Full Version : Reef Roids?

Dad
02-18-2006, 11:38 PM
After feeding tonight with reef roids the first time, My Frogspawn, Torch and various other corals Slimed like crazy, just stands and strands of slime comming off them

Is this a issue? i thought a coral sliming was a defence mechanism?

any advice?

digital-audiophile
02-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Did you spot feed or filter feed with the reef roids? I just picked up my first batch today and am planning on feeding at lights out. Interested to see if I will get the same reaction.

Dad
02-18-2006, 11:53 PM
I spot fed

OCDP
02-19-2006, 12:52 AM
I think the slime is a good thing? It's trying to catch all the food and suck it in I thought?

I could be wrong though.

Ruth
02-19-2006, 01:11 AM
Has anyone noticed that their anemone's are not liking this stuff? My huge green carpet anemone that is usually like 12-15" across shrunk up to about 4 inches after I had been feeding this for about 5 days. I wasn't sure if it might be that I am in the process of switching salt. I did my normal water change (15%) last Sunday and have not fed any 'roids all week and it is back to it's nasty glory.
I can't say that it is the 'roids but something made it act out of character. I have had this anem for over a year and that is the first time it has ever done that. It stayed shrivelled up for about 3 or 4 days.
I know this could be from a number of reasons but the timing was odd. I don't have any other anemones in this tank and have not fed this to my other tank with anemones, and won't, as I am running zeo on that tank.

Beermaster
02-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Ruth

When i was over at Dads, watching him feed the reef roid, his RBTA closed right up tight when the reef-roids hit him, he did not like it at all i think

Scott

When everything was sliming, it looked real bad, the tank was just a mess, we immeditly turned on all the pumps and the skimmer, to help clean it

so confused............

It didnt look good at all, so i am not sure what to think?

Snappy
02-19-2006, 06:34 AM
I've been using it for a little while, however I use about 1/4 of the suggested amount, don't spot feed or shut the pumps down and my corals seem to like it. I use maybe 1/4 teaspoon in my 130 gal. I also alternate feedings with other foods. I don't get slime or RBTA shrinkage, so far - so good.

digital-audiophile
02-19-2006, 04:09 PM
so, I tried it for the first time last night, I did like greg and used about half of the recommended dosage and everything seemed to like it, my blastos puckered up and sucked it down as well as my other LPS. The SPS seemed indifferent but I have mostly frags so they wouldn't cosume much anyhow, even my fish were swimming around crazy trying to suck this stuff back.

Only day one though so the long term effects are yet to be seen in my tank atleast.

OCDP
02-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Perhaps you spot fed too much then? Who knows... try feeding less, with the pumps on like suggested. Hopefully mine is here by Tuesday and I can report back with my results.

Beermaster
02-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Going to try that, we followed the instructions on the bottle, 1 teaspoon per 100gal, so we did roughly 2 teaspoons

with all the pumps off, maybe we will just dump it in insteat of spot feeding as well

Ruth
02-19-2006, 05:28 PM
I did not spot feed and followed the directions as well for amount. I did not shut my pumps off either. I have discontinued using this product although I think I may try it on my 24g and monitor. There are no anemones in this tank - just some blasto and zoos, 2 small clownfish and a clown gobie.

OCDP
02-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Well I have a BTA in my tank so I'll see if anything happens to it when I feed.

rusty
02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
I've been using it for a little while, however I use about 1/4 of the suggested amount, don't spot feed or shut the pumps down and my corals seem to like it. I use maybe 1/4 teaspoon in my 130 gal. I also alternate feedings with other foods. I don't get slime or RBTA shrinkage, so far - so good.
Yah I have been doing it this way as well. I do spot feed though and have had no problems with it:biggrin:

Polyp Lab
02-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey Dad,

The sliming you observered on your LPS when feeding is a good thing. It's the coral trying to catch as much food as possible. However, certain kinds of sliming in SPS can indicate stress.

As for people having issues with the reef-roids products on anemones. I'm very surprised to hear that. We have a several kinds of anemones in our tanks including bubble-tips and carpets with no problems.. Everything in Reef-roids is completely natural and would be find in natural reef environments where your corals come from. I would suspect that something else is causing the anemones to be upset.

At the same time, anemones feed differently from filter feeders, Anemones are used to catching relatively large pieces and moving the piece to the mouth. If directly fed, the much smaller particles of Reef-roids will likely adhere to almost all of it's tentacles. It is possible that the best way to those small particles of food into it's mouth is by contracting all of the tentacles.

Anemones need meatier foods - they aren't filter feeders so it would be tough to for them to even eat the small sized Reef-roids.

If anyone has any more questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers

Dave

Willow
02-20-2006, 12:22 AM
got a new alvepora yeterday and spot fed it last night and it ate it up nice.

Ruth
02-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Dave, it could very well be something else. I did mention that I am changing salt brands as well. It just seems funny that the only time it has done this in a year is when I was feeding the reed roids and when I quit feeding them it came back to it's usual self again in about 3 days. I have done one water change since I quit feeding and it did not have any effect on it. I am going to continue to feed rr to my 24g and just hold off for now on my other tanks until I have done a few more water changes on them.:wink:

Griffin
02-20-2006, 02:37 AM
Was out at OA today and bought a jar - Think i will try what some others have said and go with half dose. Will post how my tank responds to it as i have 98% LPS and softies with 3 pieces of sps.

Cheers
Rich

digital-audiophile
02-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Here is a shot of my brain about half an hour after spot feeding reef roids to it. It is amazing, the thing looks pregnant :D