PDA

View Full Version : Deltec MCE600

Doug
02-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Anyone here using this hang on model? Ruth, is that the model you own? I,m thinking about the purchase of one. Just read Greg Shiemer,s review.

So if this was on a show piece cube, in a living room say, it seems to blend in well. Black acrylic to block light. Only a single tube in the aquarium. And as Greg said, black stinky skim. This bringsme to my next question.

Like other needle wheels with cups that require dumping, {which is what I want}, DOES IT STINK UP THE HOUSE ? :lol: I mean during operation. Unlike my waste collector that has carbon capacity, I assume these dont, similar to other needle wheels?

Ruth
02-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Yup that's the one I bought. It replaced a Remora Pro on my 44g cube and definately outperforms the Remora (which by the way I was not unhappy with). I have not noticed any gross smelly things when it is running but when you empty you can definately smell it. I think that I would say my only complaint is that the collection cup is not that big. No chance of it overflowing though as if it gets to a certain level in the collection cup it empties back into the skimmer body. I have to mod it I think so that when it gets full it gets diverted to an external collection bucket of some kind.

Ruth
02-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Oh and the other thing that I really like about this skimmer over the Remora is that the pump is contained within the body of the skimmer so you don't have a big ugly Mag 3 sitting inside your tank.

Andy
02-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Ruth

You might want to fit the outlet at the top of the collection cup with a barb fitting and run a drain hose from there to a larger collection bucket. I must say that in the time I owned this unit, I never had it overflow back into the skimmer. The collection cup is removed so easily that it was a piece of cake to empty every 3-4 days.

HTH

Ruth
02-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I've only had it happen once too Andy when I was getting it dialed in and your right the collection cup is easy to remove and empty so I'm not too worried about it.

Doug
02-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys. I thought I remember you owning one Andy. It runs on our frag tank. Correct?

Ruth, by dialed in, I assume you mean the amount of air to the needle wheel? How loud is the air intake?

Andy
02-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Doug

Ruth is now the proud owner of my Deltec hangon skimmer. I added a sump to my growout tank so I opted for an in sump skimmer. I always ran the skimmer air intake wide open. It is dead silent if kept clean. The only "dialing in" is the level of the collection cup which controls the skimmate consistency.

Ruth
02-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Yea what Andy said.

dirtyreefer
02-18-2006, 10:08 PM
I've got one as well and you can't beat it in terms of noise and estetics. As for performance, I've only had it one month and am still trying to dial it in correctly.

I've also owned the Remora Pro w/Mag 5 which I found wasn't very good as well as the CSS 220g which I thought performed awesome, but the estetics (pump hanging in the tank) were issues with me.

Chad
02-19-2006, 01:18 AM
I am thinking of getting this skimmer as well, but I am scared of the price!! whooah :) I will have to sell some frags.

dirtyreefer
02-19-2006, 02:13 AM
I will have to sell some frags.

I can help you with that...Whatchu got? :D

Chad
02-19-2006, 06:05 AM
I can help you with that...Whatchu got? :D

Lots of stuff, just have not fragged the colonies yet. I will be posting them soon. Probably this week.

Buddyboy
02-19-2006, 02:09 PM
I guess you ordered the skimmer from Deltec directly? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost shipped? Do I even wanna ask??? hehe

Bud

Ruth
02-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Andy what kind of an in sump skimmer did you end up going with?

Doug
02-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I've got one as well and you can't beat it in terms of noise and estetics. As for performance, I've only had it one month and am still trying to dial it in correctly.

I've also owned the Remora Pro w/Mag 5 which I found wasn't very good as well as the CSS 220g which I thought performed awesome, but the estetics (pump hanging in the tank) were issues with me.

Yes, thats a large reason for looking at this model. Nothing in the tank. :smile:

Doug
02-19-2006, 02:36 PM
I guess you ordered the skimmer from Deltec directly? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost shipped? Do I even wanna ask??? hehe

Bud

I found them in an Ontario reef store, plus at JL. They certainly are more expensive but guess one pays for quality.

I think if someone wished something cheaper and one that performs well, the hang-on version of the super skimmer is hard to beat. My in sump model skimmed as well as my old Euroreef did.

Andy
02-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi Ruth

I went with an H&S 150-F2001.

Ruth
02-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Pictures Andy pictures. I looked at getting an H & S skimmer as well and just wonder what you think of it so far.:biggrin:

Andy
02-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Ruth

I love this skimmer alot. Very simple to setup and adjust. Low power consumption. Soft skim with needle wheel technology. The H&S skimmer is very well built. Collection cup is removed with a twist. Here are a couple of shots of it in action.

Ruth
02-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Very nice. Is it possible to run this skimmer externally Andy or is it in sump only?

Andy
02-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Ruth

This is an insump model. The recirculating A-series skimmers can be run externally. I've been looking at the A200-2X1260 for my 280. Just need to sell some frags to help out with the expense. :-)

Ruth
02-19-2006, 04:37 PM
:redface: :mrgreen: I'll let you know which ones later today.

Chad
03-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I have a question for those reefers experienced in having used multiple skimmers.

I have a OceanAquaitcs Skimmer, PM-Bullet 2 style (beckett)

I am thinking of getting the Deltec MCE600

Would you say this is a upgrade or a downgrade?

dirtyreefer
03-03-2006, 12:26 AM
I have no experience with the OA skimmer. What kind of skimmate are you getting? How heavily stocked is your 50g?

Chad
03-03-2006, 02:18 AM
I have no experience with the OA skimmer. What kind of skimmate are you getting? How heavily stocked is your 50g?

I actualy have no way to utilize it right now. My 50gal has 1 fish, but of course I am going to add probably 3 more. Basicly the OA skimmer sits unused. I just want to know, will I be mad that I sold my OA skimmer when I can actualy plumb it? Or will the Deltec keep me happier

dirtyreefer
03-03-2006, 02:30 AM
The Deltec MCE600 is touted as the best HOB skimmer on the market right now, but I still can't say that I'm 100% impressed with it. I've been running it for 2 months now, but I seem to be the only one that's not thrilled with this skimmer.

Chad
03-03-2006, 06:44 AM
hmm, just not sure if I should keep my beckett for when I get a chance to plumb it because it will kick the Deltec's butt, or if I should just sell it.

dirtyreefer
03-03-2006, 03:19 PM
That I can't help ya with ;)