PDA

View Full Version : upgrading 10g tank question

pandafishowner
02-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Right now I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 guppies in it. I have one of those clams that attach to an airline pipe and pump that makes bubbles, a 2 barrel decoration, and the large gem like stones. I want to upgrade to a 20 or 30 gallon tank, but I don't want to pay a fortune for a tank stand. All the ones I've seen are double the price of the tanks. I already have the heater, filter, and more stuff. I'm wondering a few things: I've seen some people use tv stands for fish stands, was wondering if it's safe enough. What other kind of fish can I put into the tank with the guppies. Does it *have* to be a planted tank? I don't want to deal with babies and so far my guppies haven't had any. I'd prefer not to use real plants. Will they still breed if the plants are plastic and small? How many fish should I have in a 20 gallon if that's what I go with? My 5 guppies are all around 1.5inches long. I want colorful fish, mostly guppies. I have 2 rams horn snails and a few baby ones, though they tend to disappear after I've seen them, think the fish eat them. Finally: what should I use as a cleaning crew when I get a new tank? A cory cat or an oto? Thanks :)

lil_clownfish13
02-18-2006, 01:27 AM
I want to upgrade to a 20 or 30 gallon tank, but I don't want to pay a fortune for a tank stand. All the ones I've seen are double the price of the tanks. I've seen some people use tv stands for fish stands, was wondering if it's safe enough.

Its safe enough if it can bare the weight of the tank- If you think that water weighs 8-9 lbs per gallon x 20 gallons.. thats 160+ lbs plus the weight of any rock or other stuff you put in there. So if you weigh like 170-180 or know someone who does...let them sit on the stand you intend to use. Thats what i would use to determine it. Something made of particle board = BAD IDEA, if it gets wet, it turns to much-- try and find something of solid construction, made of solid wood, built to last-- if you're going to go to a store-- tell them you want it to be able to hold 160lbs or so.. Or check the bargain finder www.buysell.com for a used stand.

I already have the heater, filter, and more stuff. You will probably need to get a bigger filter and probably a heater though if you are going to upsize...most filters made for "up to 10g" will not be able to handle 20-30g effectively.

I'm wondering a few things: What other kind of fish can I put into the tank with the guppies. Does it *have* to be a planted tank? Will they still breed if the plants are plastic and small? How many fish should I have in a 20 gallon if that's what I go with? Finally: what should I use as a cleaning crew when I get a new tank? A cory cat or an oto? Thanks :)

Okay: 1) You can combine any other type of peaceful livebearer; mollies, platys, more guppies. Try and keep a 1:3 male to female ratio.
2)No it doesnt have to be a planted tank
3) They will still breed, but most of the time the babies get eaten anyhow, thats why people put plants in...so that the babies can hide.
4) The usual rule of thumb for freshwater is an inch of fish per gallon...so if you have 10 2" fish-- thats usually the maximum. only add a few per each couple weeks).
5) corys and otocinclus do two different jobs, cories eat extra food from the bottom, and otos eat algae on the glass-- asess your situation... if you are doing water changes enough, you shouldn't need a "cleaning crew" cuz thats not really what they are.

5) Just FYI-- guppies won't eat snails, they're probably just in the gravel.

Hope this helps. Also-- Try www.fishlinkcentral.com for some more freshwater articles etc.

Tina

pandafishowner
02-18-2006, 04:12 AM
Thanks :) There is no gravel in my tank. I have those large gem like stones, the really bright colored one. I don't like the gravel lol

So I don't really need cories or otos any time soon then? I have a little bit of algae, mostly slimey green stuff on the rocks and clam bubble making thing and the barrel ornament. The tank is pretty bare right now because the place it's on downstairs is on a plank of wood covering a hole in our counter in the kitchen where a bar sink was. Didn't want to put too much weight on it.

Thanks for the help :D I'm hoping to stick with mostly guppies, maybe a few neon tetras

lil_clownfish13
02-18-2006, 07:00 AM
careful with neons tho--they can be fin pickers

pandafishowner
02-18-2006, 07:40 PM