PDA

View Full Version : Coral Bleaching

Sam Samy
12-03-2001, 08:40 PM
Has anyone ever had corals bleach on them. I've been reading about bleaching and recovery of corals, and what might cause them to do so. Its seems everything points to temperature and salinity.
Well, I have 2 acros bleaching on me at this moment. I've checked the temp (75-80C) and salinity at 1.023, PH 8.01 - 8.28, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Ammonia 0, Phospate 0, calcium 440, Akalinity 6.6dKH.

Any ideas as to why this is happening????

DJ88
12-03-2001, 09:54 PM
Hi Sam,

I have had corals bleach but it usually ocurred in new corals I just put in my tank. Fragged or wild harvested. Unless my tnak crashed. That is a whole other story.

How long have you had this coral? Was it bought as a frag from a fellow reefers tank? Or a store bought captive harvested colony? Those are inportant bits of info that may help us help you.

As for the info you provided all I see is that to me your salinity, alk and temp. I keep my salinity at 1.025-27. Alk is at 12dKh. The temp swings are pretty noticeable as well. But I keep mine within 1.5 (81.5)degrees at all times. Do you have your heater set correctly?

What kind of lighting do you have this coral under? What kind of water flow do you have in your tank? Is there a powerhead hitting it directly adn constantly.

Take a look at what I mentioned and I am sure some of the more knowledgable guys here can help a bit more..

[ 03 December 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

titus
12-03-2001, 10:54 PM
Hello Sam,

I'd also have to say this happens with newly introduced frags, unless some changes are ocurring with the water for a frag that has been in the tank for a while.

Corals die not necessary because of poor water condition but can also be from stress. I just hopped into J&L very recently and their acros aren't doing very well either. One of them has turned complete bleach white.

Titus

reefburnaby
12-03-2001, 11:52 PM
Hi,

I am no SPS expert (just don't have the right hardware to do it right now, but I might try one just for fun), but I have had other corals bleach itself.

Usually, this is when the coral is stressed or the Zooxanthallae is being expelled (i.e. the zoos are dying). Things like disease, sudden temperature change, sudden light shock and such.

One method that I have been able to regenerate Zooxanthallae is the use of a carbonate such as acetate (from vinegar...acetic acid). Acetate is readily consumed by zooxanthallae and it helps produce lipids...which is one of the food sources for the corals. Acetate is also known as a fatty acid (in the same line as Selcon...but not quite the same stuff).

This is another one of my tricks/theories that I use. I feed a my tank 15ml of vinegar every two weeks. They seem to like it. I drip kalk...so I just dump it in with the dry kalk and mix it with water.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

Sam Samy
12-12-2001, 10:32 PM
DJ88,
Sorry I have'nt replied to your questions and suggestions. (Took the wife to Miami, Southbeach for a few days - does my eyes hurt from looking at beautiful woman and fast cars. Wife was not to impressed, but she was ammused with the male models walking around.)

Anyways, when I came back I found another purple acro that I just purchased from local supplier before my trip, start to bleach on me...

Here are my tank specs:
90 Gallon Tank
1.023 Salinity
8.1 - 8.3 PH
Temp. 78-80 degrees
A/N/N/P - 0
Calcuim - 470ppm
dKH - 10
Water movement by 4 returns and 3 power heads on a wavemaker powerbar. I do not have direct flow on my corals.

Now, I have another green Acro that is doing fine under these conditions. I'm thinking that the new corals that I have purchased ($$$) are getting shocked in my tank because of the 400W MH light. I have created 2 ledges about 12" below the MH bulb where I've been putting the corals on - could this be the cause.

I'm thinking that I need to buy some frags and try them in different locations of the tank before I find the Optimal position and process acclimating the new corals.

Any more suggestions from the experts???

PS - does anyone have frags that they want to sell - I need them to do tests within my tank????

DJ88
12-12-2001, 10:56 PM
Sam,

If you are running a 400W over your tank you will need to do light acclimation. Start out with the corals down low then slowly raise them up to the location you want them to be at over a few days to weeks. I only run a 250W so I don't know the time frame most will follow. Tho I'd say take it slow.. better safe than sorry..

I'd say you are shocking them. LFS's generally don't run 400W MH's, 250's yes. 400W's no.. lol

Try that..

Acro
12-13-2001, 12:21 AM
DING DING DING 400watters were did that come from I could of sworn that wasn't what you were running a couple weeks ago?

Acro
12-13-2001, 12:32 AM
The following post is from someone who lacks the ability to pay attention

Sam, If you just jumped from pc's to a 400 watter over a 33 thats the prob. you need to adjust the animals from a low light condition to your current set up.That is a huge increase in light. How long have you had the 400 running for? how many hours a day? and how close to the water surface. how about a reflector?

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: Jamie Cross ]

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: Jamie Cross ]

DJ88
12-13-2001, 12:34 AM
Me thinks you are thinking about Sam W. Jamie..

Two Sams, different set ups.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

This Sam has a 400W 6500K on a 90 with two 110W VHO's..

Sam W has a 38 gallon with PC's.

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

DJ88
12-13-2001, 12:36 AM
Two Different Sam's Jamie.. lol..

Good call tho.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Least SOMEONE here pays attention..lol..

Acro
12-13-2001, 12:36 AM
ahh woops

Acro
12-13-2001, 12:38 AM
Darren I just learnt how to post pictures next I'll learn to read. images/smiles/icon_sad.gif

DJ88
12-13-2001, 12:47 AM
Hey Jamie. It got me at first to... lol.. thought I was losing my mind.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif