PDA

View Full Version : Fluval Phosphate & Nitrate

J.Lloy
02-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Has any one tried or looked at the phosphate or nitrate absorbers that fluval has out. Saw them at the LFS but don't know any thing about it. I am not currently running any additional filters on my tank. Just worried about what other things might get filtered out in addition to.

Chad
02-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Has any one tried or looked at the phosphate or nitrate absorbers that fluval has out. Saw them at the LFS but don't know any thing about it. I am not currently running any additional filters on my tank. Just worried about what other things might get filtered out in addition to.

I saw that, but the nitrate remover says for freshwater only. So I never looked into it further.

J.Lloy
02-15-2006, 11:44 PM
The phosphate one says it good for salt and fresh but it also removes silicites(?) and something else, can't remember now. wondering how many trace elements the might be affected. I hadn't even picked up the container for the nitrate to read the lable, just the phos.

OCDP
02-16-2006, 02:39 PM
I'd go with something like Seachem Phosphate remover.. more ideal for our reefs than Fluval media.

I don't like Fluval filters or any of their products. At all. Heh, JMO of course.

Ruth
02-16-2006, 03:00 PM
I have not tried out that product but I am with OCPD on the Fluvals. Canister filters, without almost obsessive maintenance, are IMO nitrate and phosphate factories. I think that for the most part if you gut them of all sponges and media and use for carbon or rowaphos or similar they probably work OK. I have an Eheim canister filter that I run carbon in for a few days a month.

OCDP
02-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Ruth,

Even to gut it and run it on empty.... you would be suprised how much gunk still builds up inside. It's disgusting... glad I trashed mine. Tank is much better off with powerheads and a skimmer :mrgreen:

Aquaholic
02-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Are you saying, its enough to just have the protien skimmer, and power heads? (and live rock ofcoarse)

I currently have a canister filter going, is it doing more harm then good?

OCDP
02-16-2006, 04:09 PM
The sad truth is that yes it will eventually cause more harm than good. They need to be cleaned almost weekly in order to perform efficiently. Crud is always building up and accumulating inside of it.

You'd be much better off to use your skimmer, and live rock for filtration, using your canister filter ONLY for carbon use. I wouldn't use it after a couple days of running carbon only. And simply use powerheads for circulation.

JMO.. has been working quite well for me so far

J.Lloy
02-16-2006, 04:14 PM
that is all I am currently running is my protien skimmer my return and a seio power head. some of the food I've been adding is hi in phosphates so I was looking at hanging a ac 300 on the side of my sump with a big of some sponge materials.

Beverly
02-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Weekly cleaning of any mechanical filtration materials is a must, ime.