PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Joes Juice

Fish
02-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Hello gang,
I just found an aptaisia on a piece of imported rock and would like to zap it. Anyone have any of this stuff... or even some kalkwasser that I could make into a slurry??
Thanks!

- Chad

muck
02-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Try scalding HOT water Chad.
If you can get the water onto it fast enough it will nuke it. :wink:

Fish
02-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Ryan,
I may give that a try. The rock has some nice blastomosa on it that I don't want to harm... maybe I can take the rock out of the tank and use a syringe to put the hot water right on the aptaisia.

- Chad

muck
02-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Thats what i would do, and I bet you know the perfect place to get a syringe from.. :mrgreen:

Skimmer Juice
02-15-2006, 07:58 PM
they have it at river front aquairium.Golds has some other stuff to it is behind the counter.I have both and they both work well.

Fish
02-16-2006, 02:26 AM
Thats what i would do, and I bet you know the perfect place to get a syringe from.. :mrgreen:

Like from a crack addict? I don't think so, Ikes taste for live hermit crabs and snails is expensive enough... I couldn't afford to support his drug addiction too

- Chad

Fish
02-16-2006, 02:28 AM
they have it at river front aquairium.Golds has some other stuff to it is behind the counter.I have both and they both work well.

Thanks dude. If Ryans crazy water scheme doesn't work, I'll try them.

Cheers

G1GY
02-16-2006, 03:41 AM
Boiling water injected into them works great.

If you need a syringe, just pm me and you can stop by and grab one from me when you're in the area. :)

allincuddy
02-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Big Als, got some today works amazing,easy and no other damage.
Mark

Black Phantom
02-16-2006, 02:36 PM
If you use Joe's juice you have to use it properly. To many people just point the syringe at the Aiptasia and blast away. A couple of days later the little sucker is back.
Turn off all of your pumps so there is no water movement. Then slowly drip Joe's over the Aiptasia so that they don't close up. You can actually see them start to ingest the stuff.
When they get a good mouthfull they will close up right away but by then it's too late.
I've done it this way a bunch of times with 100% success.:biggrin:

Tarolisol
02-16-2006, 06:13 PM
The only way i have had anything work aganst aptasia is if you inject it right into them.

Fish
02-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the helpful tips everyone. I wonder if the heat from the hot water will be enough to 'cook' them off. I used a syringe early this morning but because I didn't have a needle for it I just basted the hot water over the rock surface where I had seen the aptaisia. By the time I put the rock back in the tank it was hot to the touch and I haven't yet seen any aptaisia on the treated surface...

Hopefully that did the trick.
If it doesn't though, I may try feeding joe's juice to them as was described. It sounds kind of fun to do it that way...

- chad

muck
02-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Hopefully that did the trick.
If it doesn't though, I may try feeding joe's juice to them as was described. It sounds kind of fun to do it that way...

- chad
I have a wack of fugly polyps you could do that too for me Chad..:razz: :razz:

Fish
02-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Update,
So far no sign of the aptasia!

adidas
02-17-2006, 08:40 PM
i gotta start workin on mine..my tank is over run by them.. saw one the size of a toonie the other day!

Fish
02-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Yikes! Be careful that one of them doesn't swallow one of your fish...
The hot water worked really well. I had a fist-sized rock that I was treating and I used a syringe to squirt about half of a coffee cup's worth over it.
- Chad

bulletsworld
02-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Yeah I have yet to try the hot water, so keep me posted Chad if it actually works and doesn't come back. Joe Juice is fun to use to watch the Aptisia melt but comes right back. Uggg.

adidas
02-25-2006, 06:11 AM
I have hundreds... some the size of a toonie! I even have some attached to the glass....

Fish
02-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Update, the hot water worked 100%. The only downside to it is it also killed the red coraline algae that was on the infected areas. The very edge of a blasomusa polyp was damaged by the high temp but it looks like it's recovering nicely...
Take that aptaisia!

- Chad

Bob I
02-25-2006, 05:40 PM
I use an even more brutal approach. I take the affected rock out of the tank and dip the affected area into boiling water. Yes part of the rock is killed, but so is the Aiptasia. In time the rock recovers. I have used the same approach on rogue Button Polyps, and that plaguelike red macroalgae.:evil: