PDA

View Full Version : re: Valentines' Restaurants

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-15-2006, 07:57 AM
So just wondering, where did everybody go for Valentines?

My wife & I went for lunch at the Pacific Culinary Institute at entrance to Granville Island. They have a 2 for 1 special on Monday-Thursday for the rest of February. It's food prepared by student-chefs & the food is very fancy & tasty & the presentation is WOW! $22 & with tax/tip, works out to $15/person for a very fancy-smancy lunch. Great way to impress your date (even if you're married to him/her). I had the marinaded catfish with seafood couscous & kiwi-sweet onion sauce for my entree, a fried shrimp/scallop "ball" (some fancy name but it escapes me right now), & 3 different chocolate mousse dessert.

For dinner, we went to a really excellent Vietnamese restaurant on Hastings & Slocan (across the street from the library) called Phong Lan "Wild Orchid Vietnamese Restaurant". We let her friend (the owner) join us & she ordered. We had the Chef's Special Salad (WOW the best salad I've ever eaten) with prawns & all sorts of different vege & herbs. We also had the Deep Fried Seafood Dumplings, the Authentic Vietnamese Sweet & Sour Soup with Prawns, and Combo B (Prawn salad roll, grilled beef ribs (too die for), beef ball soup, on steamed rice. The food was soooooooooooo good. What a way to eat our way through our third Valentines together.

So, just wondering where other Canreefers went. Would you recommend it?

For us, we would recommend the Pacific Culinary Institute for the experience (cool to eat in a place with ambiance & fancy cuisine once in a while, but not break the bank).

We both highly recommend the Wild Orchid. In fact, after dinner, I talked to the owner & she agreed to give us a 10% discount if I decide to organize a reefer dinner there. For those interested, it will cost as little as $5-6 for the Vietnamese noodle bowls, to about $9 for the combo platters or $15-20 for the specialty dishes potpourri that we ate tonight. If people are interested, I will set up a new thread to help set dates & times & we can meet at my place before car-pooling over to pig out

In fact the food was so good, it made me forget about the $500+ bang-up I stupidly committed with my truck after lunch

Anthony

Samw
02-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Oops. Sorry to hear about your truck. Thanks for sharing your dining ideas. I'd like to try some of those places one day. Me, I went to the corner grocery store to pick up my dinner tonight. :biggrin: I had no groceries left in my fridge. It was pretty expensive for what I got. :lol:

Invigor
02-15-2006, 01:02 PM
made my own back ribs on the bbq ;)

Joe Reefer
02-15-2006, 02:03 PM
I had ice cube and ketchup sandwiches. mmm mmm good :mrgreen:

BMW Rider
02-15-2006, 03:10 PM
We dined in. I prepared a delicious four course dinner for my sweetheart.

appetizer - crisp cheese fingers

salad - mixed lettuce heart salad with red wine vinagrette dressing

entree - ammareto chicken served on basmati rice with tender fresh baby carrotts

dessert - Raspberry bluberry frozen yogurt with raspberry purree sauce and a chocolate shortbread wafer

finished with icewine by the fireplace.

digital-audiophile
02-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Perhaps by a stroke of good luck, my company hosts a selection of our clients at the Theatre once a year and this year it happened to fall upon Valentines day. We dined on a selection of sushi, carved roast beef, chocolate fondue and other temptations and then were able to take in a fine play.

...Cost to me $0 :D

christyf5
02-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Yee haw, take out chinese and hot doctors on the television! It was a pretty wild night :razz:

Xtasia
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
The sample tables at Costco followed by ice cream samples at mondo Gelato.

We also enjoy Ikea Hot dog Combo.

Myanth
02-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Took the wife to Red Lobster and we had a couple of ultimate feasts. Tons o' shrimp.

Felt somehow quilty. Came home and apologised to my inhabitants. They seemed okay with it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Fish may be friends & not food, but....

Prawns, shrimp, crabs, lobsters & scallops are from God having on a good day!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

GMGQ
02-15-2006, 09:44 PM
We went to Cardero's. I like the atmosphere there. I also sprung the news to my wife that we're leaving for Vegas on sunday :P 3weeks in the planning! Finally got to tell her :)

Beverly
02-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Chris bought me (well, us :razz: ) more yummy chocolates.

I bought him a huge potato that we split (very romanitc, btw :biggrin: ) that I baked along with some chicken legs, with a side order of English cucumber.

Ate the dinner and chocolates while watching a movie I'd digitally recorded, The Sum of All Fears.

Then we snuggled on the love seat while he showed me the condo's security camera recording system upgrades he's been working on.

Ya gotta love being married almost forever :wink:

kari
02-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Split on a pizza with my two canine friends :bday: , then they lounged around while farting on the couch.

I highly recommend any kind of pizza if you are trying to impress your dog.

Ruth
02-16-2006, 12:36 AM
My sweetie (son) brought me home a Horton's coffee - does that count?

kari
02-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Beverly, we can't even buy chocolates down here because you guys are eating them all right beside the factory:sad: