PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a chiller?

Chin_Lee
02-15-2006, 07:13 AM
Ok so I have this chiller that was made for a crab/lobster tank. It had long and wide copper coils that were coated with this hard black coating. When I installed my sump, I had carefully bent the copper coils so that would fit into my pump. In doing so, the black coating came off of the copper pipes. I then repainted the copper pipes with two part epoxy marine paint and its been in my sump for two years.
NOW..... i want to get rid of this chiller because it looks hideous and very inefficient use of space in my sump. Since i had installed some baffles after putting the chiller into the sump, I cannot remove the chiller without cutting the copper pipes. I know this will destroy my chiller but does anybody know how I can safely remove the refridgerant inside the chiller and then allowing me to remove the copper pipes?

StirCrazy
02-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Ok so I have this chiller that was made for a crab/lobster tank. It had long and wide copper coils that were coated with this hard black coating. When I installed my sump, I had carefully bent the copper coils so that would fit into my pump. In doing so, the black coating came off of the copper pipes. I then repainted the copper pipes with two part epoxy marine paint and its been in my sump for two years.
NOW..... i want to get rid of this chiller because it looks hideous and very inefficient use of space in my sump. Since i had installed some baffles after putting the chiller into the sump, I cannot remove the chiller without cutting the copper pipes. I know this will destroy my chiller but does anybody know how I can safely remove the refridgerant inside the chiller and then allowing me to remove the copper pipes?

it would be much cheaper for you to remove the baffles from the sump that are preventing its removal. leagaly the only person that can take the refrigerant out is a refrigeration tech with the right papers and it will cost you.

Steve

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Chin, if you need a hand, can-do on Thursday night.

Kabong
02-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Im gonna agree with Steve.
There a chance depending on the build / age of the unit.
That it may contain a poisonous gas.