PDA

View Full Version : Overflow proof hang on SKimmer

rudy
02-13-2006, 02:58 AM
I am tired of worrying about my coralife 220 on my 150 every time I go away. I am looking to upgrade my skimmer to something like a remora where it is oveflow proof. Any suggestions??

Chaloupa
02-17-2006, 05:20 AM
I have 2 Remora Pros...one on my 65g reef and one on my 50g FOWLR...the one on the reef has never ever had an overflow oops....the one on the FOWLR...my fault totally but it did overflow...I used to use a chlorine remover with slime coat protector...WRONG idea...skimmers go nuts with this...so walked away from tank, had collection cup really really low, and OOPS it got so filled that it was coming out the cup...and yes I did end up with water on our newish laminant floor. But they are fantastic skimmers, my fault with the overflow issue. I would recommend them any day, and I have had the one on the reef for over a year! Hope that helps...if not well at least someone may be able to laugh a bit at my oops! :biggrin:

Myanth
02-17-2006, 05:23 AM
I have no experience with a tank that big but I have a remora and I love it. Not the pro. I have had no problems and it skims like an SOB. Love it.

Ruth
02-17-2006, 12:52 PM
I have a Deltec hang on skimmer that will not overflow. The down side of this of course is that the reason that this (or other) skimmers won't overflow is that when the skimmate gets to a certain level in the collection cup it runs back into the skimmer body to go back into your tank. I know that there is a way to mod this collection cup to have it run into a collection bucket (which is what I do with my large external skimmer) but I just haven't figured it out yet.

TheReefGeek
02-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Wouldnt the mod to the collection cup be pretty much the same for every skimmer?

Drill a hole in it, bulkhead it, run a tube into a sealed 5g bucket. Make sure the bulkhead is lower than the drain back into the skimmer.

You can also tap it and use a screw in fitting instead of a bulkhead.

Ruth
02-18-2006, 12:11 AM
It is the same except that the skimmer already has a hole in it with a sort of L shape that then feeds back into the skimmer body when it get's too full. I know on my remora pro I had it overflow a couple of times and it just slooshed out the top of the cup. With the Deltec as soon as it gets to a certain level it just runs through the acrylic tube and back into the skimmer instead of coming out the top. What I have to do is cut this piece off and fit an street 90 over it and run it out to a collection bucket.
Not that big a deal really and if I keep an eye on the collection cup and empty it don't have to worry about it.