PDA

View Full Version : DVD problems

titus
02-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Hello,

My computer is having a hard time playing some DVD movie discs. It can sometime read the contents of the disc but just can not play or even copy the files onto the HD. Anyone know what may cause this?

Titus

TheGr8Blade
02-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Are newer movies the ones you are having problems with? Alot of them now have special locks and encryption to keep people from getting them to the hard drive. Sony has one of the worst locks on the dvds. :cry:

pre-2k
02-12-2006, 03:59 PM
hi Titus what r u trying to do copy a dvd ???? if so ues dvd Shrink its a free pro n IMO this is the best dvd ripping pro u can get i;v rip ALOT n never had a problem with it ......................... if u need more help pm me

chris

titus
02-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Hello,

Not sure if this is only limited to the new movies. I dont think so. But a friend said it is because the laser unit is failing. This can be the case as a few other things on the computer has stopped working.

Titus

StirCrazy
02-13-2006, 03:14 AM
DVD shrink has problems with new movies I switched to clone cd, and any cd for the unlocking of the cd's (it is auto and you don't even know its there.. Clone CD is way better than DVD shrink which I used to use for a long time.

Titus I would try a software change befor getting a new burner.

Steve

muck
02-13-2006, 02:29 PM
The good news is that if it is the burner they are dirt cheap now.. :mrgreen:

GMGQ
02-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah this is most likely the case. There's really nothing else on the computer that can cause the DVD drive to have a tough time reading a disc.

Try:
1) a CD/DVD Cleaner disc
2) blow it out with canned air
3) get a new drive (cheap these days!)

Hello,

Not sure if this is only limited to the new movies. I dont think so. But a friend said it is because the laser unit is failing. This can be the case as a few other things on the computer has stopped working.

Titus

GMGQ
02-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah this is most likely the case. There's really nothing else on the computer that can cause the DVD drive to have a tough time reading a disc.

Try:
1) a CD/DVD Cleaner disc
2) blow it out with canned air
3) get a new drive (~$50)

Hello,

Titus

tbone
02-15-2006, 09:54 PM
ya save your self some trouble and just get a new drive. it's so cheap now.
if you were to buy cdrom lens cleaning it would maybe cost you 20 bucks? maybe cheaper. but with new dvd drive. faster read and write speed.

GMGQ
02-15-2006, 09:54 PM
oops, double post

jws444
02-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Can a retail copy program such as Clone DVD remove the CSS protection? I always thought that retail programs don't do it and this is exactly why DVD shrink is shareware to prevent a ton of law suits.

Just for fun, I downloaded Clone DVD, and it will not rip a store bought dvd stating that there is CSS protection on the disc.

Am I missing something here?

StirCrazy
02-16-2006, 01:28 AM
Can a retail copy program such as Clone DVD remove the CSS protection? I always thought that retail programs don't do it and this is exactly why DVD shrink is shareware to prevent a ton of law suits.

Just for fun, I downloaded Clone DVD, and it will not rip a store bought dvd stating that there is CSS protection on the disc.

Am I missing something here?

you need anydvd also.. anydvd removes the protection.
and yes it works.

Steve

powerboy
02-20-2006, 04:03 AM
I am suprised no one has suggested upgrading the burners firmware. This is a very common thing to do and should be done to ensure your burner is compatable with all media etc.
Google the model of your burner and add "firmware" in the search string. Itll most likely lead you to the manufacturers site (or a firmware forum). Go look up your drive, d/l the patch and apply.

This will most likely solve any problems you may have. And it may even tempt you to ditch the "stock" firmware and perhaps install some of the hacks that can really unlock your burners capabilities. (at your own risk of course)