PDA

View Full Version : Lion Fish sting!

cal_in_calgary
02-12-2006, 05:01 AM
a friend of mine has alion fish in his tank.
i had been trying to feed it by hand, and it snapped at the little gold fish, and i got stuck by a fin. my friend said it wouldnt be bad, it hurts like hell, that was yesterday, my arm is turning a darkish color, he says it'll go away in a day or 2, should i be worried a little more, it does hurt like hell. my arm is swelled up and i cant move my fingers that much.
I told him i have to see a doctor, and he says just wait it out....

Chad
02-12-2006, 05:11 AM
I think when you are dealing with your life, you should be hitting the hospital.. asap

I would never wait something out that has turned my arm dark in colour

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-12-2006, 05:12 AM
Soak your arm in hot water (or at least very warm) to break up the venom. There was a thread on this just the last couple of days. Your friend lied to you buddy. It's the nastiest pain I've ever felt & I've had some doozies of injuries over the years. (got stung in '85 before there was much info on these fish & no internet yet)

Anthony

G1GY
02-12-2006, 05:41 AM
Maybe take some Benadryl and go see the Doc.

Don't take a chance.

Edmonton Eskimo
02-12-2006, 05:43 AM
Dude seriously get to the hospital. I can't believe you would listen to your buddy and not go unless your buddy happens to be a physician.

cal_in_calgary
02-12-2006, 05:44 AM
im awaiting a cab right now.
and yes, i dont think i have ever beheld anything like this before.
i had been fairly drunk and just sobered up today, so the pain is in full gear.
did some reading on these things.
have a heat pad on it right now. hurts right up through the shoulder and chest...

Kabong
02-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Yep Anthony's right get your arm into some water as hot as you can take.
Take a dose of benadril if you have it. If you have someone to keep an eye on you, You could try waiting it out
If you do feel light headed or you get any red line's on your arm Id say get your ass to the ER.

Never been stung myself but from what ive heard it effects people diffrently. Some people say its the worst pain they have ever felt.
While others say its about as bad as a bee sting.
But then again were dealing with guys here so its hard to tell where the BS factor kicks in.

scub steve
02-12-2006, 05:52 AM
feeding a lion fish buy hand is like removing a broken bulb when the lamp is still pluged in its dumb i had a lion fish for 2 years and if you dont respect them then you should not have one

andresont
02-12-2006, 06:04 AM
Vinegar is a good help i was stung once when was moving Lion in a net. Soaked my hand in a Vinegar didn't have to go to Hospital
Hope this helps

a friend of mine has alion fish in his tank.
i had been trying to feed it by hand, and it snapped at the little gold fish, and i got stuck by a fin. my friend said it wouldnt be bad, it hurts like hell, that was yesterday, my arm is turning a darkish color, he says it'll go away in a day or 2, should i be worried a little more, it does hurt like hell. my arm is swelled up and i cant move my fingers that much.
I told him i have to see a doctor, and he says just wait it out....

G1GY
02-12-2006, 08:06 AM
feeding a lion fish buy hand is like removing a broken bulb when the lamp is still pluged in its dumb i had a lion fish for 2 years and if you dont respect them then you should not have one

I hope I don't sound harsh when I say this.

Calling someone dumb in a hard to understand run on sentence isn't giving them any info IMO.

cal_in_calgary ,

Let us know how you make out. :)

cal_in_calgary
02-17-2006, 12:06 AM
its all good.
it wasnt all good. but now its all good.
wouldnt recomend this to anyone thats for sure.....

Beverly
02-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Glad you're good now :smile:

I got stung by my GBTA the other day. Hurt some, but not too badly. Then I remembered the hot water thing, so I ran water as hot as I could stand it over my stung hand and the pain went away immediately. That was great! And no ER room, either :biggrin:

lil_clownfish13
02-17-2006, 02:16 AM
poor bev-- always victim to poisons of all types :p