PDA

View Full Version : tide pool nano tank?

nanoreefer
02-11-2006, 09:35 PM
i was thinking of setting up a small nano tank with some stuff i could collect at the beach next time i go, but would critters from the white rock area need a chiller to stay alive? i was thinking of getting just stuff you would find at low tide and sence i figer it would be more used to warmer temps(and easy to get)but is there any other stuff there besides crabs and small fish like some kind of low light anenomes shrimp ect? and would anyone know the SG of the water in white rock so i could get a tank set up with sand ect before i go and collect some live stock?

any help would be realy nice tanks!:smile:

Ruth
02-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Someone on the board tried this last summer (Diana?). Also if you go and check out Steve Weast's cold water tank it is just amazing. But you will definately need a chiller.

nanoreefer
02-11-2006, 10:32 PM
i thought there was a post about this but i coudent find it,
and i saw steve weasts tank it is realy cool with those boxfish they look awsome!

i was thinking of useing some kind of fan to help keep the tank cool sence i dont plan on a big one(i was thinking 10g or less)do they even make a chiller small enufe for that size a tank?

Ruth
02-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't think you will be successful without a chiller. The water will still go to room temperature so unless your house is like 60 degrees in the summer with no heat from pumps, lights etc. you will need a chiller and also thicker glass to get away from the tank persperation. I am pretty sure you can buy chiller that small. Search Nano tuners web site.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Robert has a couple of mini chillers for sale in the B&S section. I've dealt with him several times & he's a good guy. Contact him about his chillers if you're interested in doing a BC coast tidepool nano.

Here's the link: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22710

Anthony