PDA

View Full Version : How much waterflow?

Go Lions!
02-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey, just upgrading shortly from my current 44gal to a standard rectangular 90gal tank. Am needing to consider one of those Seio circulating pumps. They've got circulating pumps ranging from 640gal/hr, up to something crazy like 2500gal/hr... How much flow would you put on the end of a 90gal? Need to keep the detritus off the LR (that I'm suffering with now) , and the fish healthy, but don't want to blow away the inhabitants... (They are as listed below) Anyone out there with a 90gal FOWLR who could offer me some water circulating advice? thanks!

Go Lions!
02-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks for all your advice... You all suck.

Skimmerking
02-12-2006, 11:58 PM
really that comment was uncall for..

Good thing that you are not going with a reef tank ..YOU HAVE NO PATIENCE!!!!!:mrgreen:

Well not everyone has a FOWLR. Now for your question about flow.. I Have a 170 gal FOWLR with a
barracuda running at 4500GPH on a closed loop and a 3MD on a return around 5000 gph going thur my tank ..

Myanth
02-13-2006, 02:25 AM
Some people.

I mean really - it's a circulation problem.

Nothing is dying. I had tons of response to my ich problem that's taking fish and that guy in Calgary had like ten responses in a couple hours on his lionfish sting.

These are real issues... not trying to keep your little fishies from having to swim against current.

I'm thankful for the people here everyday. I wouldn't have half the knowledge (or frags) that I do now.

Relax.
Sincerely
Mike

Myanth
02-13-2006, 02:27 AM
P.P.S. How about that grey cup? Sure was a great game.

Johnny Reefer
02-13-2006, 03:29 AM
Thanks for all your advice... You all suck. I think it's in the majority of people's human nature to want to pass on information about a subject they know about. If anyone that saw your post, in the short time that it's been on the board, knew the answer I think they would have wanted to pass on that knowledge. (Human nature).
In other words, isn't it possible that maybe we don't all suck, but rather...no one that saw your post knows the answer? And anyone that does know hasn't seen it yet? (After all it's only been, what, a day?)
That's why I didn't answer. ... I don't know!
But lemme take a stab at it at the risk of lookin' dumb.
Go with the big momma 2500 gph pump and adjust it if it seems to be too much. I think you could probably put a valve on it, or something, to facillitate that. Play around with it. Experiment. (There. Now I look dumb). (Never had experience with a big, honkin' pump. My return is an Aquaclear 901 powerhead. 900 gph).
Ain't always an easy answer here.

HTH and cheers,:smile:

Edit: If it's a powerhead your lookin for, and not a return pump, I have two Seio 1500's and 4 MaxiJet 1200's (in addition to the Aquaclear 901) (tank is a 180). The Seios have a cowling that you can adjust the flow rate with.

Johnny Reefer
02-13-2006, 04:00 AM
Another thing....It's better to have multiple circulation sources, rather than just one, IMHO.
Maybe instead of going with one on one side go with two. One on each side.
Have the streams point toward each other so they meet in the middle, IMHO.
(Not really sure, though, if your talkin' about pumps or powerheads)?

Cheers,:smile:

Myanth
02-13-2006, 04:01 AM
and if it's just info... I have a penguin 270 on a 10 gallon with an aqua C remora skimmer with one little volitan lionfish named Jason, who is quickly outgrowing the tank. The water flow is fine for him and it keeps the detrius moving. I have 7 pounds of haiti rock in it that he can hide completely in (that's how small he is).

Just for info sake and for keeping in the spirit of the board.

Mike

Skimmerking
02-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Hey Myanth was going to call you on Sun day but was really busy here at home doing nothing:mrgreen: Will try to call you today there Mike.

later

Mike

asherah
02-13-2006, 04:58 PM
sheesh you wait 1 day then have a fit... what are you 12? geeze. Oh I forgot.. no one here has kids or a life..or I dont know.. a reef tank to tend to !

amanda

TheReefGeek
02-13-2006, 06:57 PM
If you are just planning your tank, plan to get it drilled with 3 holes, and use an external pump on a closed loop, such as a sequence dart. One hole in the middle bottom for the intake, one one each end in the middle for going back in.

Go Lions!
02-14-2006, 04:24 AM
my sincere apologies to you all... YES.. I feel like a bit of a putz right about now... very bad day that day... not that that's an excuse. I..(and my fish) thank you for your responses asodeus and Johnny Reefer thanks for the info... Myanth.. that was a bit of a harsh comment about the grey cup... but I suppose I deserved it... well said.

Kabong
02-14-2006, 05:00 AM
10X to 20X the capicty of your tank is a good start.
IMO if i were you id start with 3 of the Seio 620's one on each end and one at the center back. That will give you close to 20X with 1860-GPH.

TheReefGeek
02-14-2006, 05:50 AM
I still think if you haven't brought the tank home yet, get it drilled.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Personally, I use the Seio 1500s & am quite pleased with it. My 100g Fowlr had a Seio 1500, a Tunze 6060, an AC500 hob fuge & a Mag7 on a UV sterilizer. (approximately 3700 gph after you subtract any losses in pressure). My fish LOVED it.

Also, I think you're lucky anyone bothered answering at all after the "You all suck" comment. BTW, for future references, you can delete posts after you calm down. Must be a symptom of being born in the microwave generation - if there is no immediate answer, someone's gotta be at fault. Good of you to explain & apologize tho.

Myanth
02-17-2006, 06:31 PM
No problems man. Best of luck with the tank. Sorry about the grey cup deal.

I mean... that you lost of course :biggrin:

Mike