PDA

View Full Version : How to wash frozen shrimp?

DanG
02-11-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm using RODI water, yet still have a ton of phosphates getting into my tank, and it's gotta be from the shrimp I'm feeding my clown. I've seen threads mention washing it in RODI water and then feeding so it washes away the phosphates. Is it just as simple as getting some on a paper towel and rinsing it with rodi water?

Ruth
02-11-2006, 06:19 PM
What I do is let it thaw out on a piece of paper towel and then scrape it off and put it in a cup with some RODI water and then strain that through another piece of paper towel. It's a pain in the butt and that's why I make up my own mash with rinsed shell and fish fillet among other things.
The only time I will feed mysis without going through all this is if I am away and having someone else feed my tanks because it is measured out in the nice little cubes and cuts down on the chances of overfeeding.

Beverly
02-11-2006, 09:05 PM
I was looking at bags of frozen shrimp in the local grocery store to feed my dwarf angel and latticed butterfly. Nitrate and phosphate were listed on the package as preservatives, so I did not buy them.

However, they have fresh shrimp at the fresh fish counter in the same store. Next grocery outing, I'll ask if they use preservatives on their fresh shrimp. If they don't, I'll pick up a few, freeze them for later use.

As for mysis, there should be a list of ingredients on the package as well. The only ingredient that I don't know is not phosphate on the PE mysis package is "ash". I use RO to rinse the living heck out of the PE mysis well to get rid of as much oil as I can.