PDA

View Full Version : Bubble algae

richtg
02-10-2006, 10:17 PM
I have forever been battling with bubble algae. All my parameters are good, flow is good, barebottom, regular W/C's with RODI, and it just keeps coming back! I siphon them out, but they attach themselves so well that it is almost impossible not to pop some now and again.

I have no other problem algaes, and I am wondering if emerald crabs are the only efficient option. A search turned up little on the subject.

Thanks, Rich.

Psyire
02-10-2006, 10:22 PM
A foxface can keep them in check as well. My Magnificent Foxface ate all the small ones I used to have.

OCDP
02-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Emerald Crab.

I just bought one for my BA.. haven't seen it yet.. but am praying it goes to work on my BA. Have heard lots of success stories.

There's two options for you.

Chin_Lee
02-10-2006, 11:19 PM
get a strong tweezers and take them out. A lot of mine are securely anchored and although I prefer not to and i try not to, most of them do pop.
I had a pretty bad infestation but I made it a goal to remove a minimum of 5 per day. After a week or so, you will see a dramatic difference and just keep up the constant maintenance of removal. eventually they will only exist where you can't see them which is not the best solution but effective asthetically. But then just start movin a rock or two here and there and keep takin them out. with a strong skimmer, you can win the battle because its not that fast of a grower.

OCDP
02-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Good idea Chin.. 5 per day. I like the idea.. I may have to try it out.

Beverly
02-11-2006, 02:44 AM
Discussion on bubble algae in this thread.....

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21746

Do a search for bubble algae or valonia for more info.

richtg
02-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the help. I have tried everything except a BA feeder.

Black Phantom
02-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Try this, it worked well for me.
I got a clear syphon hose and a micron sock. Start syphoning from your main tank to the sump and use the sock to catch all of the Valonia.
Use the hose to gently revove them from the rock so they dont burst.
You can get a lot of them quite quickly this way.