PDA

View Full Version : wavebox by tunze

motox
02-10-2006, 04:40 AM
Anyone using/used? How does it work. worth the money or waste of time. Just curious???

mr_alberta
02-10-2006, 04:45 AM
I've only seen one in action. Amazing device. A little pricey for me but works amazingly well. Do note that Tunze has stated it can take off up to 10% off of a tank's life.

motox
02-10-2006, 04:49 AM
what do you mean takes 10% of tanks life? thetank itself or the live stock.

mr_alberta
02-10-2006, 05:02 AM
The tank itself. Its very hard on the seams of the tank.

Veng68
02-10-2006, 08:47 AM
What is the useful life of a tank though?

I have tanks that are over 20 years old and I have never had a leak or any problems.

Heck...... I even have some of my dads old "meta-frame" stainless steel frame tanks from the 50's......... I never had a leak.

Maybe I am just lucky....... [knock on wood] :)

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

sumpfinfishe
02-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Vic wrote:What is the useful life of a tank though?

Most production glass aquarium manufacturer's will suggest a 10-15yr life on a tank.
Saltwater can and does wear on silicone seams, however it's moving, drilling, heavy hang-on devices, improper support, and strong cleaning magnets that can put added wear and shorten the life of a tank.

Then again one of my LFS's has tanks setup that are 30yrs old with no problems. So I guess it all depends on whether or not the tank has been taken care of. I'm at 9yrs with my Hagen and I'm pretty sure I will upgrade or purchase a new tank within a year or two for this very reason.

This was an email reply that Hagen sent me last year on this topic:

All things being equal your aquarium should last for ten to fifteen years. Or, said differently, at ten years you should begin considering replacing your tank and start looking for sales, as it is around this time that the silicon begins to tire.
Hoping this helps, Peter McLeod
Rolf C. Hagen Inc.

Sorry for HJ your thread Motox, I have a friend with a Wavebox and he loves it, and they do create a nice wave moment IMO

Scales
02-10-2006, 04:55 PM
I have a wavebox in my 180...amazing device...worth every penny...

guysmiley
02-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I run one in my 135 and I think it's pretty cool. On the "worth the money" part... I don't know. They are expensive and I think that it is less important that a good skimmer, Calcium reactor ect...

I like the look but I would spend the money on more important things first.

Also, if you don't have a 6 foot tank, don't waste your money. The device works by hitting the resonance frequency of the tank. That's how it gets a nice wave whithout using alot of power. The longer the tank, the bigger the wave.

It's nice to see coral polyps swaying back and forth on the far side of the tank but I think it should be considered a luxury, not a neccesity.

Garrick.

Scales
02-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I agree that other equipment should take priority, such as a good protein skimmer and calcium recator, but once those items have been "accumulated", the wavebox is a decent approach to the issue of water circulation...there are many options and solutions to water flow, but for an out of the box solution without a plumbing investment, I feel it is good value...just make sure you mount it properly (strongly consider the magnets)...it makes a hell of a mess if the suction cup fails and it shoots water all over the room (while one is at work, shorting out a power bar and causing what looks like a small electrical fire)

...and I definitely agree and believe that it is likely better suited to 6 foot plus tanks...I tried it on my 90 (4 foot) and it works much better on the 180...

TheReefGeek
02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Awesome wave action produced in the display tank at J&L's.

I think it would be really worth it for those who want an eazy solution to water movement, and want to stay away from drill tanks, closed loops, powerheads, plumbing, etc.

Tangman
03-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Just bought one myself , the wave looks cool :mrgreen:
The one in the J&L display is a good seller as, they told me that since they set up the wave box in the display they sell every wave box they bring in ,in fact they have a waiting list

Chin_Lee
03-05-2006, 05:57 PM
For those who have it, is the water movement enough for the whole tank?

Kabong
03-05-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm gonna second Chin's question.
Is the water movement enough for the whole tank?
Or do you have to supplement current with powerheads?

Tangman
03-06-2006, 12:49 PM
I would say yes, as everything in the tank moves at the same time,as to say all the water is moving