PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Aquarium anemones

Paverdude
02-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Anyone been to O A recently benny has a large (10 to 14") anemone possibly ritteri or clarks was woundering if anyone knew what species for sure

Delphinus
02-10-2006, 02:53 AM
When I was there last week there was an 18" Stichodactyla gigantea carpet which may be what you saw. Be prepared for some sticker shock though, it's not cheap. They also had a couple juvenile carpets of the same species as well as Heteractis crispa.

Paverdude
02-10-2006, 02:55 AM
they are some awsome animals, but i'm not ready for one...Yet
Thanks for the reply

OAcalgary
02-16-2006, 11:06 PM
The anemone was given back to us from a long-time customer. it was purchased about 1 year ago when it was about fist size. We are not intended to sell that beauty and it is a store pet.

Pokolec
02-19-2006, 07:13 AM
Ha, ha, ha
Please be truthfulness, all are for sale - not any like to be a pet store, I personally was there and all was offer fore sale, ... and also you have very seek fish, witch must be put down to stoop suffering because those fish will never recover from that sickness. (Annularis Angelfish is very seek and other alsow)
This is “humane” and my personal opinion!
If you would like to challenge me about this statement, I will be very happy to stand and prove what I wrote,
I will always stand fore responsible and common sense reefing to preserve this beauty for next generation in the Ocean and small Mimic at home.

Sincerely,:redface:

G1GY
02-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Ha, ha, ha
Please be truthfulness, all are for sale - not any like to be a pet store, I personally was there and all was offer fore sale, ... and also you have very seek fish, witch must be put down to stoop suffering because those fish will never recover from that sickness. (Annularis Angelfish is very seek and other alsow)
If you would like to challenge me about this statement, I will be very happy to stand and prove what I wrote,
I will always stand fore responsible and common sense reefing to preserve this beauty for next generation in the Ocean and small Mimic at home.

Sincerely,:redface:

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Your post makes no sense and is painfull to decode.

My head hurts now. :(

fishmanty
02-19-2006, 06:47 PM
I'll second that.

Its not that there are many typo's, but it just doesn't make sense.

Oceans Aquariums Fish looked good last time I was there about 2 weeks, and bought an anemone...

Everything looked pretty healthy... they had a few fish in their hospital tanks, but not many...

I don't remember seeing any dead fish... Wai's is the only privately owned store that I have ever seen a dead fish here or there, but those times were probably the day after he got in a shipment.

Please revise your post so we can better understand your standpoint.
Thanks

Edit: The only 2! private places i've seen dead fish are Wai's and Riverfront. Jezz, how could i forget riverfront... i can't remmeber a day where i didnt see half a dozen dead ones.

Myanth
02-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Huh... anyways, I was in OA in Calgary two weeks ago and asked about the big carpet anemone. Was told $250. Apparently it was for sale then. I bought the small perc that was calling it home and a Coral Beauty. Both are loving life and healthy.... minus the minor Ich inconvenience that I don't know for sure that I got there.

Every time I'm in Calgary I will be checking them out.

digital-audiophile
02-19-2006, 11:27 PM
If I am not mistaken...Small world, I think my girlfriend and I were in there when you got those fish. I remember my girfriend noting that you had a cooler in your van and told me that we needed to carry a little cooler in the car when we go coral shopping so we don't have to go home everytime we get something before going to the next store. :D

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Buy a cooler bag. They are more convenient because they're collapsible when not needed. I have 2 so I almost always have one in my vehicle. Works great & cooler bags will also cushion the new fishies on their ride home. Got mine from Canadian Tire last time. May be wrong time of year to get them right now though.

G1GY
02-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Huh... anyways, I was in OA in Calgary two weeks ago and asked about the big carpet anemone. Was told $250. Apparently it was for sale then. I bought the small perc that was calling it home and a Coral Beauty. Both are loving life and healthy.... minus the minor Ich inconvenience that I don't know for sure that I got there.

Every time I'm in Calgary I will be checking them out.

I guess even a shop pet is for sale at the right price. :lol:

adidas
02-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Did OA have any inverts in? i need a clean up crew..

digital-audiophile
02-20-2006, 12:50 AM
When I was in on Friday they had both skink and peppermint shrimp, they were full size though if you don't mind adults.

Big Als is supposed to be getting in a big invert shipment tomorrow.

OAcalgary
02-20-2006, 02:55 AM
[QUOTE=Pokolec][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Ha, ha, ha
I will always stand fore responsible and common sense reefing to preserve this beauty for next generation in the Ocean and small Mimic [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]at home.

to Answer your query:

1. i am not and will not challenge any of your opinions. i am glad that hobbists in calgary stand up for their opinion. freedom of speech.

2. As my Post have wrote, it is not INTENDED to be on sale. and it is only offered to individuals with the right tank and resources to keep it healthy. as my mission statement in the HELLO column, we try our best to ensure quality, this is one way to achieve that. By screening the interested individuals, i have, at least, done my due diligence.

3. thank you for your concern first of all, The Bluering Angel in our fish-only tank have a serious outbreak of Lymphocystis. and from what we known it is not treatable. The viragen will be cured given time, and it is important to monitor the condition, such as appetite, behaviour etc. FYI, it is eating well and swimming well today.

thank you very much for all your patronage and see you all!

OAcalgary
Ocean Aquarium Calgary

adidas
02-20-2006, 04:17 AM
When I was in on Friday they had both skink and peppermint shrimp, they were full size though if you don't mind adults.

Big Als is supposed to be getting in a big invert shipment tomorrow.

cool..guess i'm goin to big al's...:)

Myanth
02-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Greg. Yup that was me with the cooler in the van. Had just picked up some rock and an anemone and was getting ready for the treck up north. Have a little floating thermometer and added a cup of warm water in red deer. Everything was 78 degrees when we pulled in the driveway. I would recommend a cooler to anyone transporting livestock. Bag the specimen and fill the cooler around it with the right temperature water. They will be happy you did.

I am not sure if I remember you? Blue van just to the left of mine when I was leaving? Had one eye on the fish and one on my kids. Didn't want to buy anything that was not intended if you know what I mean. ***CRASH***

Mike

digital-audiophile
02-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Naw, tall guy, beard, drivs a blackcivic, fillipina girlfirend, we stand out in a crowd ;) :p

Myanth
02-21-2006, 02:10 AM
We shall meet again.
(read as hopeful, not threat)

Mike

richtg
02-22-2006, 08:58 AM
OACalgary:

Well said. Most stores don't give a flying (care) about the product as long as it leaves the store with a reciept. Be seeing you more in the future.

lastlight
02-22-2006, 06:13 PM
My experience with OA thus far has been great. I can't buy anything in there without getting details on how to hook it up which is great as I'm new to the hobby. The owner even drove into shop one day when i was there just to run over a few things with me.